MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there's an aftermarket clutch slave unit for the F4S as they have for the Duc's? The one's that I have purchased for my Duc's reduce clutch pull / effort by 20 to 30%. The MV's isnt as bad as the Duc's, but it's still not that "featherly" either.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
DucatiGuy said:
Does anyone know if there's an aftermarket clutch slave unit for the F4S as they have for the Duc's? The one's that I have purchased for my Duc's reduce clutch pull / effort by 20 to 30%. The MV's isnt as bad as the Duc's, but it's still not that "featherly" either.

IMO the MV clutch pull is better than the EVO unit on duc/aprilia so I'm not sure why one is needed? No chronic leaks like OEM on those bikes and the pull is better and, again IMO, better feel as well.

I haven't seen one and I suspect the above is the reason?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the first gneration OEM clutch slave units found on early model Duc's were in fact prone to leaking. Many were dealer serviced or swapped out completely. Later model Duc's, and by later I mean early 2000/01 and on, did get the improved slave units. The leak problem had been solved, but the infamous hand-ripping Ducati clutch pull was still there.

The first aftermarket slave unit I ever purchased was an Evo unit for my 2000 Monster 900ie. The unit was advertised to reduce clucth effort by 20%, but to be quite honest, it was more like 10%, and a real pain to bleed. I wasnt impressed at all. I then met a guy who had an MPL Tunning slave unit on his 999 and after feeling his clutch, I was sold on the spot! I installed one on my 996, my 999 and my g/f's Monster 620, and clutch effort was reduced by not 20% but more like 30%! It was a night and day difference.

The MV's OEM slave unit may be designed to be leak free, but compared to the MPL unit I know have on my Duc's, it is tight. Such a unit would make a very nice improvement on the Agusta!

If you've never felt a good aftermarket slave unit, you don't know what you're missing! Hence the reason why I'm search....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh and one more thing... When my F4S is in gear, and the clutch is in, the bike still wants to move fwd ever so slightly. Its as if the clutch isnt in all the way. Any ideas? Do you think I should pop open the clutch pack and take a peak?

·
Registered
673 Posts
My F4 and my R6 both spin the tire when it's in the air. I think that with the wet clutch systems, there is always enough contact/fluid motion to put some torque to the rear tire. But you shouldn't be able to feel it when the bike is on the ground...

-c

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
DucatiGuy said:
Oh and one more thing... When my F4S is in gear, and the clutch is in, the bike still wants to move fwd ever so slightly. Its as if the clutch isnt in all the way. Any ideas? Do you think I should pop open the clutch pack and take a peak?
How far you you pulling the lever in?
I see this on my F4 1k as well, but I use two fingers on the clutch lever, with the rest around the grip. If I pull it to the point where the lever is almost against my three other fingers, the bike will roll while in gear and engine running.

If I throw my entire hand around the lever and pull it all the way to the grip, the clutch is full disengaged.

It took me a little to get used to the lever travel and friction zone on the MV. On my other bikes (most with cable clutches), the friction zone was much shorter. On my R6, I hardly have to move the lever. The MV has a much longer friction zone.

Alex

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Exactly, its as if they clutch rod (in contact with the slutch slave unit) doesnt extend fully. When I pull in the clutch, its to the grip, and yet the bike still has some fwd motion. On a stand, I have seen my Duc's spin a little to,, but never enough power to move the bike on the ground, like my MV is doing. I'm going to pull apart the slave unit and check things out, as well look into the lever. It may also just need to be bled?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
DucatiGuy said:
If you've never felt a good aftermarket slave unit, you don't know what you're missing! Hence the reason why I'm search....

Could be :) My experience with Ducati and Aprilia aftermarket slave cylinders is all Evo. Much like the names brembo and ohlins I suspect if you convince MPL to make a fitment many of the ducati converts would be apt to pay for one :)

My first suggestion is to ensure your adjustment is allowing for a full range of motion on the lever. I've had clutch drag when pulling the lever adjustment a bit closer to the bars. I'm sure you've already tried bleeding with fresh fluid.

I have enough drag from time to time to feel but I've never been able to correlate it to anything; oil change, temps or type of riding. It goes away as quickly as it appears and only shows up a couple of times per year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts