MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently bought a set of MV Agusta F4RR wheels (the ones with the 3 spokes) and wanted to mount them on my F3. Sadly I realized that my brake calipers don't fit in their mounting brackets at the front anymore.
So I measured and the wheel is 6mm narrower per side (in the middle of the rim where the brake discs are fixed - don't know the exact english term).

Now my question is how does MV do it to mount these on the F3 Ago or on the one off F3 Oscura?

I find a lot of info about the rear wheels but nothing about the fronts...

(If this is thread is misplaced or anything please let me know!)

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
24,399 Posts
The rears are universal fit across all MVs.
You will have to have appropriate spacers made for the fronts.

·
Old Wing Nut
22,634 Posts
The front wheel is 12 mm thinner at the brake disc mounting surfaces than the standard F3 front wheel?? (6 mm each side). So the discs are too close together for the distance between caliper centers?
At least that is what I think you are describing.

I did not think that was the case, that the F3 and F4 wheels were different width at the brake disc surface, but I do not really know,
The difference in axle spacing between first generation front wheels and second generation (2010 and later), but I thought the F3 and F4 had the same fork dimension (with of the stanchions).

I suppose you will need to have 2 6 mm spacer rings made to move the discs outward. Don't forget 6 mm longer bolts of appropriate tensile strength.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My project TVL needed a front rim and has the same rotor mounts as your F3. I picked up a B4 RR front rim from a dealer that said it would fit the F3. It didn't.

I looked at the spacer option and just bit the bullet and bought an F3 front rim. The hub on the F3 rim lets the disk rotor sit flush with the inner hub when mounted. Plain spacers will move the rotors out to where there would be no support from the hub. I thought about it and didn't like idea of the rotors floating with the bolts being the only line of defense against the shear forces. That's just a fear on my part with no science or experience behind it so it may or may not be OK. If you can get a spacer with an elevated hub that would take care of it - I couldn't find one and have no equipt to make one. The other option I looked at was finding rotors with a 5 mm offset with the correct hub, diam. & bolt pattern. The rotors that looked like they might work were very spendy and it was more economical in my situation to just get a F3 wheel.

If you find a solution that works, do post up in Donsy's thread Wheels, <Y10 and >Y10, what do they weigh, where...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My project TVL needed a front rim and has the same rotor mounts as your F3. I picked up a B4 RR front rim from a dealer that said it would fit the F3. It didn't.

I looked at the spacer option and just bit the bullet and bought an F3 front rim. The hub on the F3 rim lets the disk rotor sit flush with the inner hub when mounted. Plain spacers will move the rotors out to where there would be no support from the hub. I thought about it and didn't like idea of the rotors floating with the bolts being the only line of defense against the shear forces. That's just a fear on my part with no science or experience behind it so it may or may not be OK. If you can get a spacer with an elevated hub that would take care of it - I couldn't find one and have no equipt to make one. The other option I looked at was finding rotors with a 5 mm offset with the correct hub, diam. & bolt pattern. The rotors that looked like they might work were very spendy and it was more economical in my situation to just get a F3 wheel.

If you find a solution that works, do post up in Donsy's thread Wheels, <Y10 and >Y10, what do they weigh, where...
The front wheel is 12 mm thinner at the brake disc mounting surfaces than the standard F3 front wheel?? (6 mm each side). So the discs are too close together for the distance between caliper centers?
At least that is what I think you are describing.

I did not think that was the case, that the F3 and F4 wheels were different width at the brake disc surface, but I do not really know,
The difference in axle spacing between first generation front wheels and second generation (2010 and later), but I thought the F3 and F4 had the same fork dimension (with of the stanchions).

I suppose you will need to have 2 6 mm spacer rings made to move the discs outward. Don't forget 6 mm longer bolts of appropriate tensile strength.
The rears are universal fit across all MVs.
You will have to have appropriate spacers made for the fronts.
Thanks a lot guys!
I think I found a solution. The F3's brake disks are flat (0mm offset) and the F4RR's have an offset of 5mm (my measures were not so accurate 😅). So I will order a pair of those and see how it'll work out and keep you updated.
Might not need spacers after all 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So here's the update:
I ordered F4RR brake disks which fit perfectly BUT I forgot about the fact that they won't keep the thinner wheel from moving left to right. So I think I need to take out the spacer in the original F3 wheel along with the bearings and insert it into the F4RR wheel. They are 2 different lengths if I checked correctly in the MV parts catalogue.
If that doesn't work, I would have to go for the spacers option (which I would find very strange as MV did the exact same thing on the AGO and I can't believe they use spacers on a factory bike?)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts