MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Formerly WYD OPN
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found the site and this is my first post. Glad to see there are quite a few hard-core MVers.

I've been riding for 30 years and have recently purchased a few bikes (see sig). My original plan was to buy a Senna and a Harley, but for a couple reasons I bailed on the MV and bought a Yam R1 and a Kaw ZX-14. I love them both, but find I'm still wanting an MV.

The R seems to be the "Goldilocks" version: "Just right!" But... the reason I've never bought an MV has to do with my concerns about dealer support, maintenance, and residual value. The nearest dealer is 160 miles away (Motor Cycle Center in Villa Park, IL), and I don't want to ride or trailer 3 hours for service at an unfamiliar dealer.

I want to buy an F4 1000R and a 910R, but would appreciate some feedback from others who may not live near their dealers. A heads-up on the above Chicago-land dealer or others would also be potentially helpful.

I'd love to buy from ProItalia, but that's not feasible. Can somebody help me out?

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Hi and welcome.

I can't help you one the dealers question, but congrats for getting the MV R's
If i were you i would get rid of the HD's :barfalot: and get a Veltro :D :smoking:

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Although we don't yet have enough of a feel for the F4R's reputation I think it's safe to say it will follow that of the preceeding models. If you ride a lot of miles you'll have to decide for yourself if you are willing to make the trip for the 600mi and then 7200mi service intervals.

Don't expect to have to go often for warranty work.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Interesting list indeed.

I recently went from an 05 Raven R1 to an F4-1000S and I'm MUCH happier. Better usable power / gearing than the R1.

·
Registered
479 Posts
You bought Jap bikes and are worried about residual value?

The MVs are solid machines, they aren't garage queens like Ducs. :stir:

·
Registered
92 Posts
WYD OPN said:
The nearest dealer is 160 miles away (Motor Cycle Center in Villa Park, IL), and I don't want to ride or trailer 3 hours for service at an unfamiliar dealer.
You'll find alot of people on here in the same boat, we don't even have an MV dealer in the state of WA. The closest dealer is 230 miles from me, and the dealer I bought mine from and plan to service mine is 350 miles away. I was very hesitant to take the plunge myself until reading experiences on here and talking with my dealer. But I was reassured and decided it was worth it to get the bike I really wanted.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Benjamin St.G said:
You'll find alot of people on here in the same boat, we don't even have an MV dealer in the state of WA. The closest dealer is 230 miles from me, and the dealer I bought mine from and plan to service mine is 350 miles away. I was very hesitant to take the plunge myself until reading experiences on here and talking with my dealer. But I was reassured and decided it was worth it to get the bike I really wanted.
FYI, Eastside Motorsports "used" to be an MV dealer here in WA.
Their head mechanic, Dave, is very familiar with MV's and very fair/honest mechanic to deal with...He has taken care of all my needs very nicely, thank you! They just don't do warranty work, unless you pay out of pocket for it.

On big items, if you are a Desmo Northwest member, you can get 10% off from Moto Corsa on parts (but you have to pay for shipping), and arrange for Eastside to put it on. But check with Dave first...(you can mention that I recommendded them)

·
Registered
92 Posts
kamranmarashi said:
FYI, Eastside Motorsports "used" to be an MV dealer here in WA.
Their head mechanic, Dave, is very familiar with MV's and very fair/honest mechanic to deal with...He has taken care of all my needs very nicely, thank you! They just don't do warranty work, unless you pay out of pocket for it.

On big items, if you are a Desmo Northwest member, you can get 10% off from Moto Corsa on parts (but you have to pay for shipping), and arrange for Eastside to put it on. But check with Dave first...(you can mention that I recommendded them)
Thanks for the heads up, I'll PM you for details.

·
Formerly WYD OPN
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Credibility Check for the Newbie

spalding12 said:
i wonder if this nice guy will post again
that first post.... and that list
all brand new.... or soon-to-be new bikes.....
sounds a bit fishy to me

but, what do I know?
Credibility questions after a single post? Okay, I'll pay the dues.

Ten years married with 2 kids. Ten years divorced paying child support (gladly). Twenty total years building a business and intermittently sacrificing riding for family and work.

New fiance paralyzed in car accident. Business, home, and vehicles sold to become full-time care-giver. List of "toys" now being bought with business and home equity. Only break from the 24-hour care-giving is "handlebar time".

The R1 was bought in late May. The ZX-14 was located from another dealer and is awaiting delivery next week. The SE V-Rod is having accessories added and will also be delivered next week. The SE Springer is a Phase 2 bike, to arrive in October. The K12GT is in production and has a VIN, to arrive in September. The K9 will also arrive in October. MVs are next, I think.

I am a seasoned rider with diverse motorcycling interests: European, Asian, and American - Sportbikes, Cruisers, Nakeds, even Touring and Choppers. I am immune to most narrow views that include only certain types or marques. I love them all and each provides a different enjoyment and satisfaction.

My "list" is not a dream, but many dreams fulfilled in the midst of a great life tragedy. Mileage on each will be limited and none will be sold; but I'm not a collector, I'm a rider. Several more will be added over the next couple years, likely including some MVs, Ducs, etc. I also have a great passion for vintage '70s 2-strokes.

Now, back to the thread topic and my questions/concerns.

I am simply not accustomed to having such a long distance to a dealer for service/maintenance/warranty. I have the same concerns for any bike, but to this point I have held off buying anything Italian for that reason.

I think my concerns are genuine, but very managable. I just wanted some feedback from the "experts" (owners) who have had experience dealing with the sparse dealer network.

As an equally avid car nut, I must say that MVs are the most incredible and gorgeous machines ever produced with any number of wheels. I'm sure the ownership experience will be incredible, but I wanted to listen to the voices of experience before taking the plunge.

Remember - "Life is NOT a dress rehearsal!"

·
Formerly WYD OPN
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
spalding12 said:
welcome to the forum
your bike list is rather interesting

i don't mean any disrespect at all....
are you going to ride any of these bikes... or are you some collector?

my K200GT comes in september as well.... and my 910R will be here in 2 weeks (i hope)

but......
all those other bikes...
how can you ride any of them over 1,000 miles/year

IF i might ask
again...... no offense intended
GREAT choice of rides! As a rider with multiple bikes, I'm sure you actually already understand the basics of "spreading the love" between bikes. Certainly none of mine will get miled-up, but I'll find a way to enjoy them all.

·
Formerly WYD OPN
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JamesC said:
Although we don't yet have enough of a feel for the F4R's reputation I think it's safe to say it will follow that of the preceeding models. If you ride a lot of miles you'll have to decide for yourself if you are willing to make the trip for the 600mi and then 7200mi service intervals.

Don't expect to have to go often for warranty work.
Thanx, JamesC! Exactly the type of response I was looking for. With several bikes to ride, I won't mile-up any of them; so service intervals seem spread enough to deal with the distance to the dealer.

I'm becoming convinced there needs to be a couple MVs in the garage! Thanx, again.

·
Formerly WYD OPN
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Amer said:
Interesting list indeed.

I recently went from an 05 Raven R1 to an F4-1000S and I'm MUCH happier. Better usable power / gearing than the R1.
Thanx for the info. I love my R1 - it's the most gorgeous non-Tamburini design ever. You're right, though. Soft bottom and midrange, even though it screams on top. I won't get rid of the Yam, but MVs are definitely in my near future.

·
Formerly WYD OPN
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
luvtolean said:
You bought Jap bikes and are worried about residual value?

The MVs are solid machines, they aren't garage queens like Ducs. :stir:
Diminished residual value on an $11K "Jap" bike vs. the $43K Tamburini (which was my first consideration) are incomparable. Yes, my R1 will drop significantly; but the Tamburini and others are virtually unsellable outside a narrow market.

Overall, I don't care about long-term values. My bikes won't be sold. But my initial concerns about the scarcity of MV dealers is a reasonable and rational one regarding maintenance intervals and potential warranty issues.

Thanx for confirming that I have little reason for concern with MV ownership. Most responses have indicated that I can expect strong reliability from my MVs.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Re: Tambo, probably the best resale I've ever seen on a bike, they're selling for the same price as new...used!

MVs otherwise do well. But nothing quite like that. Maybe slightly better than Japanese stuff.

I don't say "Jap" bike in a deprecating manner BTW. I have two of them myself...just the easiest way to distinguish.

·
Formerly WYD OPN
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Benjamin St.G said:
Your reassurance is my reassurance. At least you understand my concerns are no reflection on the machines or manufacturer. Exclusive products actually ensure a scarcity of distribution and service.

I just wanted to hear from owners (like you) who have weighed the risks/rewards and have experienced the trade-offs with convenience and other issues. I have become convinced enough to start the dealer homework process. Seems it would be better to find the best dealer within a region than simply the closest one with a sign on the building.

I plan to have an F4 model and a Brutale model soon. Most likely it will be an F4R and a 910R. Thanx for your helpful response and reassurance!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well, I think I have everybody here beat in terms of distance to dealer: 9 hour drive, one international border to cross, and I am honestly not sure if I would get it back across the border if it went south. Hrm. Anyway, I did my homework and the consensus seemed to be that they are fairly reliable bikes. I also went into it with the attitude that it was so damn sexy that if I couldn't ride it for a month a summer, because it was off being fixed, so be it. It isn't basic transportation, its love. :) Having said that, I have about 4500 totally trouble free miles, and the report of a very experienced mechanic (who has built engines for AMA race bikes, etc.) who says it is the best built factory engine he has ever worked on. Hand polished ports, you name it, it was done. Which as a total aside, is a nice extra on the "limited edition" bikes--they do get extra attention during the build at the factory. So go for it. And don't ever look back. If I could get another into Canada, I would be buying one for the track right now.

·
Formerly WYD OPN
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
luvtolean said:
Re: Tambo, probably the best resale I've ever seen on a bike, they're selling for the same price as new...used!

MVs otherwise do well. But nothing quite like that. Maybe slightly better than Japanese stuff.

I don't say "Jap" bike in a deprecating manner BTW. I have two of them myself...just the easiest way to distinguish.
Thanx, luvtolean. I may still consider the Tambo, then. Any F4 is great, but the Tambo is still the Daddy, as far as I'm concerned. The 910R is the Brutale to buy, but I'm still undecided between Tambo, Senna, and the new R.

With so many strong opinions, especially on enthusiast forums, it's hard to tell who's rational and who's a "love mine/hate everything else" mentality. Thanks for clarifying. Your 700+ posts likely mean you're one of the voices of reason.

I appreciate the balanced-but-passionate responses from the knowledgable and intelligent owners on this site.

·
Not very lucky..
1,431 Posts
Wyd Opn, nice to see you are able to get the toys you want! Get the MV and you will NOT regret it! On a more personal note, gotta say that being a 24/7 care giver must be tough. Not that you don't feel love or don't want to do it, it is just physically and mentally taxing. My buddy from work, who is on this forum as yellow748guy and never posts :stickpoke , his wife has MS and has to do any and everything for her. Not the same situation by any means, but just trying to say that not many people could do what you are doing, I know I couldn't! :loser: sorry honey!(to my wife in the other room, not you). Obviously I don't know details of your situation and hopefully I didn't cross a line :angel: I try to take my buddy out riding his beloved Super Duke as much as possible to blow off steam and have him do something for him even if it is only for some hours. Not trying to highjack the thread, just wanted to say I admire what you have been doing for however long it has been , wether it has been a week or years!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts