MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m off to potentially view an NR750 for the collection today. I wasn’t actively setting out for one but an opportunity has arisen which may end up at nothing. I’m not a speculator or investor, I just have a penchant for rare and quirky bikes with the NR being one of the few Hondas I would actually buy.

However while pondering away, it strikes me that depending on what the seller is looking for for it, it is likely to be similar to F4 CC money.

I already have a very nice 1078 mono, curious to know how others feel about the two bikes. The NR is a very interesting and different bike with it’s own story to tell. The CC already has a base bike that captures much of the spirit without the final exotic touches, whereas the NR has an engine never likely to be repeated for good or bad as well as many other unusual touches.

Variety is the spice of life as they say but I’m not sure if I can feel motivated at the value of the NR. I use my bikes, Honda had completely withdrawn spares support from what I can tell (not dissimilar to the CC though 95% of parts will be far more available) and I’m not the type to keep a bike on static display.

It all comes down to what kind of a deal can be worked out. The CC has always been a dream bike but having owned the 1078, it’s hard to justify the cost difference in a CC.

Both seem horrifically overpriced in the market generally as they are largely being punted out by opportunist speculators/dealers, one wonders what they trade hands at in reality?! In the UK there has been a CC advertised for over 4 yrs at £55k, and NR’s offered from anything from £50-£90k in recent years.

cheers
Nito

· Registered
22 Posts
I go through decisions like this all the time. Ok, not really. I'm more along the lines of do I buy the dozen eggs, or go for the 18 pack? I would want the MV but I would buy the Honda.

Both really are investment bikes and I think the Honda would be easier to sell if you ever wanted to. Lots of casual collectors would recognize the Honda NR . You probably need one of us to recognize how cool the MV is.

· Super Moderator
7,800 Posts
I'm sure you will have done your research on the technical merits of each bike. In that regard the Honda is the clear winner for taking on the challenge of essentially making a V8 but reducing the piston / cylinder contact surface area required by using oval pistons. Two connecting rods, two spark plugs and eight valves per cylinder. The racing history of the Honda oval piston GP project adds some kudos too. That 16 inch front wheel means you have a limited range of tyres at 130 / 70 / 16.

However, for those days when you are not riding the bike, the F4CC displays many of its improvements for the eye to see. I don't know if you have seen one in person. Aesthetically, it is pretty stunning.

To ride, the F4CC is almost alive with energy. That engine is exhilarating. Of course, I have not ridden an NR 750. I have only ever seen two.
One was in a museum.

· Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
[email protected],

Indeed, a V8 in all bar Siamesed pistons to dodge regs which banned oval pistons but a great effort. It’s something unlikely to be repeated. The dash is very cool also with a floating semi hud type speed readout, magnesium wheels and part carbon bodywork, (the back side looked like fibreglass so maybe just some carbon weave on the exposed bits).

I’m sure it will be lovely to ride, but at least with the CC (not that I can afford a CC but what I was intending to offer was a chunk of the way toward a CC), I don’t feel any clear way forward. It’s not currently running, (failed fuel pump apparently) and I’m challenged for time at the moment as it is, adding another bike that needs resolving in an already cramped garage is maybe not the wisest move, but there is a real chance of picking it up for a not totally ludicrous sum, although of course that depends on what others come back with.

Plant Speedometer Vehicle Motor vehicle Gauge

Cap Luggage and bags Bag Red Font

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Vehicle Automotive lighting Light Hood Automotive tire

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Vehicle Automotive tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

· Registered
330 Posts
Motorcycle Classics did an article on the Honda a while back and while technically very interesting they found the bike to be quite heavy and cornering clearance was limited by the wide bodywork. Also, the engine was mildly tuned and far from the potential it could have been. I'd be afraid to ride it considering nothing is replaceable. The CC is certainly a prettier bike and very special considering its pedigree and story behind the revival of MV. Your money of course, and not an easy decision to make. Best of luck!

· Premium Member
3,984 Posts
I don’t know… looks buggered to me. Also some teeth seem rather sharp and oddly worn. It might be just optics, hard to say. Check your photos if there are more. —It’s just odd to me.

Reactions: Nito

· Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would be afraid the Honda might break. Then what?
That for me is the stumbling block. Perhaps these are destined only to be mounted on a plinth in a collection. I ride all my bikes, it's a big risk, at least bikes like ZXR homologations and the F4 have a plentiful supply of many parts from base models, for the NR, where do you even begin, dashboard on the fritz - stuffed, ECU- stuffed, Fairings hopefully repairable, lights unique to this model, then we get into god forbid, oval pistons, oval bores and oval piston rings....good luck with any of those...then again, it's a Honda, they're not supposed to go wrong 😇😂 , but here we are with an NR =Non Runner 😂!!

· Premium Member
3,984 Posts
Point is… from your pic (hard to read) it has only 5955 miles? How do those miles compare to the rear sprocket condition? To me it’s a mismatch which is a red flag to walk away.

· Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Point is… from your pic (hard to read) it has only 5955 miles? How do those miles compare to the rear sprocket condition? To me it’s a mismatch which is a red flag to walk away.
I think it's just the picture, I crouched down next to the sprocket and spun the wheel, I certainly didn't notice anything like that pic shows, I think it's the light and what is behind. It has actually only done 5,500kms. As it happens, someone who bought the RC45 in his collection has now offered £50k, which exceeds what I would have offered, if its just the fuel pump then he probably has a bargain, if not then the owner has done well, either way, more risk than I was prepared to take (risk/reward etc), perhaps I'm too cautious but I err on the side of being risk averse, despite riding motorbikes 😂.

· Registered
190 Posts
Just PM'd you a 24 page artice on the NR.

I assisted a Danish and a Swedish guy building replicas. Both used the VFR750 as basis and a French NR body kit (designed to be usedon a CBR900). The dealer up the road owns an NR, so I took lots of pictures and measurement for them. For starters, he body kit didnot have the grilles (side/rear). The headlight openining was "wrong"too so they spend many hours applying glass fibre and sanding. Good thing Scadinavian winters are long so they had plenty spare time from riding...

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Using the RC36-1

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Using the RC36-2

I visited them while on a tour around the Baltic Sea on my "Red Slut" back in 2016.

· Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you very much for taking the time to send all those. It's much appreciated. I did some research on forums and I did see a post of someone measuring up an NR for kits on a VFR forum I believe it was while I was researching for parts interchangeability of which there was nothing really.

I didn't explain very well in the first post but the bike was a non runner. It had had a replacement pump in the last year and apparently was running a year ago when the new pump was first put in, however this pump had failed also. It may have just been a rubbish Chinese pump or the problem may have been elsewhere. Ultimately I couldn't bring myself to drop £50k on a non runner which is what he was subsequently offered. I was looking to offer a fair bit less than that, thinking in the 35k+ range to reflect the risk that it may have been more than just the pump or that I couldn't even verify the condition of the engine, which I am sure was probably fine but a risk just the same.

It wasn't meant to be, but it was great to see one in the flesh as the last time I saw one was new in a showroom in '92 ish where the dealer principal was raving about the Iridium screen and carbon bodywork to an impressionable youngster (me)! It was also fun to re-read up on all the technical details that made the NR what it is. Impressive bike, lack of manufacturer support is a pity, sadly consigning what remains of the mere 322 built to potentially becoming ornaments.

Thanks again,
Kind regards
Nito

· Registered
190 Posts
sadly consigning what remains of the mere 322 built to potentially becoming ornaments.
Sad indeed.

A friend of mine will have a Squalo recommisioned this year; to ride, not gloat at.. :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts