Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
why

Where: Jacob K. Javits Convention Center - New York
When: 1/21/2007
Camera: Canon EOS 1DsMK II
Lenses: EF 24-70mm f/2.8 and EF 85mm f/2

Thought you guys might be interested in these. I actually went to the DC show and learned later that the F4CC would be in NY the following week. So the next Sunday I took a train up at 6:20am, shot pictures at the show and retuned on the 8:00pm train. Long day. I just felt that it was probably my only opportunity to see the bike in person.

The pictures which have a blurred background were taken with the 85mm lens (except the first two pictures) at an aperture of 2.0. This is what gives the nice blurring affect and is actually what this particular lens is known for. It is generally used as a portrait lens. I took 499 photos altogether, and after filtering at home, I got it down to around 200. Of these I’ve posted 39. So obviously I have many more. If there is something on the bike you don’t see, pm me and I’ll see if I have it and if so I’ll post it.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Thanks so much for sharing, great photos of a great bike, so much detail, each time you look there is something else to drool over, 2 observations, why still the plastic air dam? and the machined kick stand is just glorious, I would be scared just to sit the bike on it its so perfect!!

·
Jason + Stanley Knife + D.I.Y = Casualty and
1,061 Posts
awesome
it truly is a work of art i'm afraid if i owned one no way i'd be able to ride it me thinks

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Nah!!! a bike like that needs a good thrashing - remember it's only made out of metal and nuts and bolts etc!!!

Fantastic thanks for sharing!!

I suppose I could use my superannuation to buy one!!

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
Wow...Those are phenominal shots. I am going to have to practice with my camera for quite some time!

Just an amazing group of shots. Is there any photoshopping to the background at all?

Nice work! :guitarist

Griff
twoeleven

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Depends

twoeleven said:
Wow...Those are phenominal shots. I am going to have to practice with my camera for quite some time!

Just an amazing group of shots. Is there any photoshopping to the background at all?

Nice work! :guitarist

Griff
twoeleven
Only the first two pictures in the series had the backgrounds altered using Photoshop. The reason for altering the background was to remove distractions by darkening and blurring. I am guessing that what you are really wondering about are the beautiful background blurs in some of the other photos.

For example the mirror shot. The background in those photos is blurred due to the 85mm lens being used at its very large 2.0 aperture. This is one of canon's finest lenses and is probably one of the worlds best lenses for producing this type of effect. The affect is referred to as bokeh.

I might add that taking pictures with this lens at the 2.0 aperture can be difficult to do and get good results. Its quite difficult to get the focus correct. All the shots in the series were take with a tripod and a remote shutter release. The week before at the DC show I had trouble with camera shake blur due to not remotely actuating the shutter. The exposure times for some of the photos was up to 15 seconds!

So I think the answer to your original question is no, those nice blur effects are due to technique and equipment.

I

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Those are GREAT photos! Is it possible that you can zip up the 200 or so photos with high resolution (~2000px wide or so) and do a media submission for them? I can throw them all into an album for you on this site. They make GREAT desktop backgrounds.

To do a media submission, click on the media section of this site and scroll to the bottom of the site. You will see submit media there. :drummer:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
admin said:
Those are GREAT photos! Is it possible that you can zip up the 200 or so photos with high resolution (~2000px wide or so) and do a media submission for them? I can throw them all into an album for you on this site. They make GREAT desktop backgrounds.

To do a media submission, click on the media section of this site and scroll to the bottom of the site. You will see submit media there. :drummer:
Sure I could do that, but I am going to be busy this week. I have some footwork to do in order to make that F4-Senna acquisition happen next Saturday. You know I've got to do this in order to be a legitimate member of your family here :D

Give me a couple of weeks. I know it isn't obvious how much time is involved, but those photos required at least 15 hours of work to get them were they are now. All my photos are take raw which means I process each one individually setting color, exposure, bla bla bla. Digitial photos are quite time consuming. The 39 photos posted today are ready to go(except getting a larger size), but the others will take some time to process. I won't release photos until I am happy with their look and feel == a fair amount of time. But I do it because I get a lot of satisfaction out of it. So I would be more than happy to do the media thing.

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
hellcat said:
Only the first two pictures in the series had the backgrounds altered using Photoshop. The reason for altering the background was to remove distractions by darkening and blurring. I am guessing that what you are really wondering about are the beautiful background blurs in some of the other photos.
Nope. You nailed it...It was the first two that I was curious about, I work alot with graphic editors (for fun) and I noticed some stuff just around the edges of the bike, very well done, however.

I have the EOS Rebel XTi, and although I don't have that lens, I was able to replicate (Well, somewhat...) your technique using my 75mm lens, and a 4.0 aperture. However, since this lens is auto focus, I picked my focus spot, then clicked "off" the AF, and snapped away. I didn't use a tripod, these samples were handheld, but I ran a Speedlite 430EX flash to help me a bit!

Thanks for the inspiration (imitation is the greatest flattery, remember!), with a little practice and some more room to work (I just ran out into my garage), I might be able to get similar results without purchasing another lens.

Not trying to hijack, I just had to give it a try...Thanks for the idea!

Your photos are great! Keep up the awesome photography!

Griff
twoeleven

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice Bike

twoeleven, nice bike! I wish I had such a great subject to play with.

The blur is accomplished by taking a second copy of a photo which is exposed a little darker, dragging it on top of the original thus producing a layer, applying a gaussian blur to the second photo, and then the hard part is the creation of a mask.

As you noted, the masking isn't perfect and when you have a large difference in exposure, the interface between the two photos is hard to meld seamlessly together. So at some point I say "good enough for its intended purpose". If I were making money on the photos, I would spend more time ... but for me its just a fun hobby.

·
Registered
236 Posts
1- Fantastic photos!!!!!!!!!!!
It is amazing what a good eye, knowledge, and proper equipment can do.

2-The detail that MV has added to the CC is awesome, I look forward to seeing one in person, perhaps at the Atlanta show in late Feb. (I wonder if I can afford the kickstand and the levers for my Tamburini?)

3-Congrats on the new bike. Hopefully the weather will turn soon, the Southeast is getting the first really cold blast of the winter, and you can get out and enjoy it. I did see one street bike out today, at the same time I took my dog out, she swam in the river and emerged with icicles. One of two things either the guy just got a new bike or that's the only wheels he owns!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts