MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i currently ride a ducati 848 and am in a position to purchase a SR with very low mileage (its virtually new).

i am wondering if anyone here has ridden both and is willing to offer comparisons?

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Gidday mate, this is the best place to ask such questions. Good ride today, I swapped Brian the BMW Megamoto for his 1078RR back to Tai Tapu, what a neat bike, way better than his old 1000. Hope you get some good responses.Chris

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Hi I have ridden both.
I have also raced a 784R, and ridden the F4 SPR and a 749R on the track a number of times.

Apart from the obvious difference that the 848 is a newer design and that it is a twin vs a 4, this would be my take.

The SPR 750 F4 is special bike, similar in feel to a 748R but with a longer and higher top end, so on the track it is a step up.
The 848 is lighter and has a more compact and modern riding position (the F4 is more flat and racier.).

The F4 has higher spec components and a lot more adjustability than the 848. Also the F4 is very well designed with bodywork fit, and finish etc superior.You can change to track bodywork very easily, while the 848 takes abit of spanner work.

The F4 is a 4 and a high revving one so you need to work it, take your 848 and add about 2000 revs to everything and you get the picture. It is smooth and absolutely screams at high revs, sound totally opposite to the drone of the Duke.

If you can swing it and have both it would be a perfect garage mate. They handle and feel simiar but the engines are differnet in the way they go about their business.The SPR came at the wrong time (just when everyone was going to 1000's), but it is special for sure. If you don't want a 1000 you won't be dissapointed.

Goodluck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:) hey c. yes, it was a good ride. i nipped over to tracys on the way home and had a drool over his Ago....hmmm

i'm trawling through older posts in regard to this, but no references to a comparo of an SR to 848...i'll wait and see what turns up

·
Registered
215 Posts
I own both, or have owned both, a white 848 and the MV 750F4SR. The 848 was sold when I started seeing them everywhere I turned. The Duc was ever so slightly more of an upright riding position than my SR but the exclusivity associated with a 300 run production model and a 750 with 146 hp more than compensated for that. The MV is undoubtedly on of the most beautiful motorcycles ever produced.

Just out of curiosity, where are you looking at the bike?

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I own both, or have owned both, a white 848 and the MV 750F4SR. The 848 was sold when I started seeing them everywhere I turned. The Duc was ever so slightly more of an upright riding position than my SR but the exclusivity associated with a 300 run production model and a 750 with 146 hp more than compensated for that. The MV is undoubtedly on of the most beautiful motorcycles ever produced.

I haven't owned/ridden a 848, but I totally agree with what you said about the mv! +1

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

thanks for the comments - very useful :) the bike is in new zealand

·
Registered
215 Posts
Thought I would mention one more thing....you won't be disappointed with the performance from either bike. At this level, unless you are racing them, both will be one of the best bikes on the street. I believe but have no statistical facts to back it up that the MV would be faster on the track...but that is only opinion.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Hi I have ridden both.
I have also raced a 784R, and ridden the F4 SPR and a 749R on the track a number of times.

Apart from the obvious difference that the 848 is a newer design and that it is a twin vs a 4, this would be my take.

The SPR 750 F4 is special bike, similar in feel to a 748R but with a longer and higher top end, so on the track it is a step up.
The 848 is lighter and has a more compact and modern riding position (the F4 is more flat and racier.).

The F4 has higher spec components and a lot more adjustability than the 848. Also the F4 is very well designed with bodywork fit, and finish etc superior.You can change to track bodywork very easily, while the 848 takes abit of spanner work.

The F4 is a 4 and a high revving one so you need to work it, take your 848 and add about 2000 revs to everything and you get the picture. It is smooth and absolutely screams at high revs, sound totally opposite to the drone of the Duke.

If you can swing it and have both it would be a perfect garage mate. They handle and feel simiar but the engines are differnet in the way they go about their business.The SPR came at the wrong time (just when everyone was going to 1000's), but it is special for sure. If you don't want a 1000 you won't be dissapointed.

Goodluck.
Great post.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I have ridden both on the street, to keep it simple:

*position wise the 848 wins hands down. I found the F4 750 to much of a wrist & back breaker.

*Sound wise the MV wins IMO. I still think my MV sounded better than the S4R w/termis that i just bought.

*Performance, both need to be revved but the MV more so. The Ducati is the better 'town' bike but if you are blasting the MV is fine.

*Looks the MV kills it.

If i were buying today i would buy the 848, purely because it's newer, has more new techo bits and easier to live with day to day IMO. If you were talking about a 1000S or R then i would say buy the MV without a doubt.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
boo hoo, all my cogitating and procrastinating leaves me with the memory of the one that got away... :( some bloke up north grabbed it before i

thanks for your thoughts and advice...i'll keep looking

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have a 1098 and F4 1078 and although different engines I think the question you have to ask is whether you like an in-line four. 4s are different bikes and you may not like it if you haven't had one before. My first 4 was a GSXR k6 and at the beginning I did not like it. It is not as involving riding experience as a Vtwin is. Agusta is different yes but still the way the power is out and the feeling you get once you ride the bike is a typical in-line four

My opinion.
P.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Like we have all said before, which bike is better will depend directly on your taste of choice. Both are brilliant peds. The Duc has that nice low throaty sound and a more upright position and the MV is a free reving beast of a ped with a bit more racy stance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts