·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed re F4RR but it is more than fast enough for me and for ever will be more desirable :drummer: :f4:
I also thought the Panigalle might have done a little better after all the hype?..................that's the problem with 'hype'

·
Banned
1,449 Posts
Agreed re F4RR but it is more than fast enough for me and for ever will be more desirable :drummer: :f4:
I don't know if you ride your 1000RR hard? but if you do, do you find that the power band just disappears at around 9000 to 10000 rpm then kicks in again with a thump.
Also are your exhausts very, very black? even after say 200 miles?

·
Registered
507 Posts
I don't know if you ride your 1000RR hard? but if you do, do you find that the power band just disappears at around 9000 to 10000 rpm then kicks in again with a thump.
Also are your exhausts very, very black? even after say 200 miles?
At Philip Island my 1078 with 200 hp only just beats the 100rr down the strait more level than anything more so (who has the bigger balls for turn 1) haven't had the chance to ride but an awesome bike, would love to ride the rsv4f though

·
Registered
83 Posts

Also are your exhausts very, very black? even after say 200 miles?[/quote

Er I do although never get near the 13.5k 'peak' power, however I do not get much dip between 9 -10k following the dealer messing about with the engine and yes I get soot on the exhaust tips but to be fair not very, very.......... :f4:

·
Registered
105 Posts
My F4 RR doesn't have the exhausts that black....now
after the first 1000km... and after i start to ride it more hard....
the power range... is what we all know already.....

Also expect the 1199 to rate better.... :p

·
Banned
1,449 Posts

Also are your exhausts very, very black? even after say 200 miles?[/quote

Er I do although never get near the 13.5k 'peak' power, however I do not get much dip between 9 -10k following the dealer messing about with the engine and yes I get soot on the exhaust tips but to be fair not very, very.......... :f4:
Do you know what your dealer did to sort the power dip between 9th and 10th ?

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Comparing the MV to the latest High tech Superbikes is an apple vs oranges scenerio.MV uses a hemi head design. Mv engineers had to take the 50 year old design and massage 200hp out of an already 20 year old 1000cc engine with set perameters. The competitors started with a clean sheet of paper with no set perameters. The press is raving about Ducatis ground breaking ,outside of the box technology . But in reality MV had more of a daunting task as it is much easier to borrow f1 tech from Ferrari ect and adapt it to a motorcycle.(ie Ducati Panagale)
In MVs case this is why you see problems in making a smooth powerband.When your pushing 200hp per liter out of an engine designed for 100hp per liter smooth linear powerbands arnt easily achieved.I am very impressesed with MV being that even the most modern engines using the latest Pentroof f1 heads are straining to hit the high 190s and MV did so with old hot rod hemi heads! In WSB the earth shatterring BMW s1000 hasnt won a race, why? to hit the 240hp mark its powerband is top heavy and hard to ride. BMW started with a clean sheet but coudnt make a wide smooth powerband either and they have a budget 10 times that of MV. And like wise in Handling, the trelis design makes for a good stiff chassis until you start running the pace achieved in MotoGP ect.
IMHO the MV1000RR is a hot rod streetbike vs the competitors hightech racebike.
Personally im not good enough of a rider to push the limits of either . So i picked the MV1000r over the s1000. Better powerband with more usable torque at lower rpm. The sound stirrs the soul and it looks fantastic ( although the BMW s1000 looks phenominal also ) BTW I also picked the Ducati 1198 over the new 1199. The 1198 has been refined to 10/10ths where as the jury isnt out on the monque chassis yet. I also had the Kawasaki zx14 with the monoque chassis= they cracked !!!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Ehhhrm... Jake, The Engine was a completely new design back in 2010. The RR engine however is in my opinion a short cut (panic decision) to answer the BMW 1000 RR engine. What they did is overbore the newly developed engine and give it a shorter stroke to raise rpm and at the same time lower piston speed.

I'd say they've done a nice job but didn't get the fuelling right all through the rev range.

·
Registered
105 Posts
you are completly right.... just to bad i found that after.....i bought the f4 rr.... and not before i sold my F4 R....
just 12000usd to the garbage....

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Comparing the MV to the latest High tech Superbikes is an apple vs oranges scenerio.MV uses a hemi head design. Mv engineers had to take the 50 year old design and massage 200hp out of an already 20 year old 1000cc engine with set perameters. The competitors started with a clean sheet of paper with no set perameters. The press is raving about Ducatis ground breaking ,outside of the box technology . But in reality MV had more of a daunting task as it is much easier to borrow f1 tech from Ferrari ect and adapt it to a motorcycle.(ie Ducati Panagale)
In MVs case this is why you see problems in making a smooth powerband.When your pushing 200hp per liter out of an engine designed for 100hp per liter smooth linear powerbands arnt easily achieved.I am very impressesed with MV being that even the most modern engines using the latest Pentroof f1 heads are straining to hit the high 190s and MV did so with old hot rod hemi heads! In WSB the earth shatterring BMW s1000 hasnt won a race, why? to hit the 240hp mark its powerband is top heavy and hard to ride. BMW started with a clean sheet but coudnt make a wide smooth powerband either and they have a budget 10 times that of MV. And like wise in Handling, the trelis design makes for a good stiff chassis until you start running the pace achieved in MotoGP ect.
Personally im not good enough of a rider to push the limits of either . So i picked the MV1000r over the s1000. Better powerband with more usable torque at lower rpm. The sound stirrs the soul and it looks fantastic ( although the BMW s1000 looks phenominal also ) BTW I also picked the Ducati 1198 over the new 1199. The 1198 has been refined to 10/10ths where as the jury isnt out on the monque chassis yet. I also had the Kawasaki zx14 with the monoque chassis= they cracked !!!
Sorry Jake but that is the biggest load of rubbish I have read for quite some time.

MV's engine is pretty new:
It's not apples v Oranges, MV have decided to take on the big guns at their own game, let the battle commence!!.
BMW not winning is nothing to do with it's engine, it's BMW engineers using F1 type 4 wheel technology and their own electronics, this year will see the turn around
having ridden all last year with Steve on a M10 F4 the S1000RR engine with Akra runs rings around it any speed, any rpm, we did more roll on's than I care to remember

·
Banned
1,449 Posts
you are completly right.... just to bad i found that after.....i bought the f4 rr.... and not before i sold my F4 R....
just 12000usd to the garbage....
I find myself in the very same position as yourself, having just sold my 2010F4R and purchased the all new 1000RR which just doesn,t run right. I'v been told by MotoGB that they,v now got the computer for it but not the lead to connect it up to the bike. (should arrive 10th May)

I'm beginning to wonder if MotoGB acutely know what the fault/s is/are, on the F4 1000 RR, these are some of the answers I have had from them todate.
1 is it the ecu that needs remapping??
2 is the variable trumpets sticking?
3 is the TPS needing re-setting?
4 is it the exhaust valve? fix it open.
5 is it the traction control system kicking in due to the extra power at 10,000 RPM?
6 is it cheap super market fuel?

Can you add any more ideas to the list??

One thing for sure, I don't know what the fault is, I just thought when you pay £18,000 for a bike it should run OK.

·
Banned
1,449 Posts
I find myself in the very same position as yourself, having just sold my 2010F4R and purchased the all new 1000RR which just doesn,t run right. I'v been told by MotoGB that they,v now got the computer for it but not the lead to connect it up to the bike. (should arrive 10th May)

I'm beginning to wonder if MotoGB acutely know what the fault/s is/are, on the F4 1000 RR, these are some of the answers I have had from them todate.
1 is it the ecu that needs remapping??
2 is the variable trumpets sticking?
3 is the TPS needing re-setting?
4 is it the exhaust valve? fix it open.
5 is it the traction control system kicking in due to the extra power at 10,000 RPM?
6 is it cheap super market fuel?

Can you add any more ideas to the list??

One thing for sure, I don't know what the fault is, I just thought when you pay £18,000 for a bike it should run OK.
We had a full day of sun yesterday so I decided to check out some of the possible faults listed above. I started by checking the variable trumpets, they were working fine.
I then dis-connected the speedo pick up from the rear wheel and took it for a 70 mile ride out, at every oppertune moment I hammed the bike in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear to see if the power would cut off monentarily at around 9000 rpm to 10000rpm, to my amazment the power curve was great, there was no loss of power just lots of it, its not every day you can pull 130mph wheelies.:naughty:

(Yes, I know I had no speedo, I used a GPS )

The big question now is why should it be, that by dis-connecting the rear wheel pick up the bike runs ok?? apart from the exhausts they are still very sooty. Any theorys??? anybody :conveyer:

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We had a full day of sun yesterday so I decided to check out some of the possible faults listed above. I started by checking the variable trumpets, they were working fine.
I then dis-connected the speedo pick up from the rear wheel and took it for a 70 mile ride out, at every oppertune moment I hammed the bike in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear to see if the power would cut off monentarily at around 9000 rpm to 10000rpm, to my amazment the power curve was great, there was no loss of power just lots of it, its not every day you can pull 130mph wheelies.:naughty:

(Yes, I know I had no speedo, I used a GPS )

The big question now is why should it be, that by dis-connecting the rear wheel pick up the bike runs ok?? apart from the exhausts they are still very sooty. Any theorys??? anybody :conveyer:
A Theory:

And then you woke up?:naughty:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well chaps I read these stories with a very strange feeling. I have a 2012 RR and I have none of these problems......I can get through 8-11k without any dropping off or stutter. The dealer did ensure the variable trumpets were working properly but thereafter perfect delivery and soooooo fast.

Hummmmm.....why??? Don't u just love MV :conveyer: I recommend buy one now don't delay. Thank you :f4

·
Registered
799 Posts
What's wrong with a hemi engine? I thought it allowed for larger valves. What makes the F4 related to a 50 year old design? Which 1000cc engine is 20 year old design? What's makes it easy for ducati to derive inspiration from F1 technology? My understanding of the F4 is that it's virtually brand new design, and the previous motor was originally a 750cc anyway. Initially back in the 90's when development started on the F4 i was alwasy led to believe that MV actually derivied inspiration from F1 tech at Ferrari, but then ended up changing virtually everything anyway, so it's alwasy been a clean sheet engine in the F4.

As already stated, comparing the F4 to the big guns isn't apples and oranges at all, since MV are the only minor player at the moment besides BMW to take on the big big four japanese at their own game with the inline 4's. Ducati and Aprillia and Tirumph go a seperate direction avoiding such comparisons so i guess for those guys with V4's, V2's and IL3's it's always a bit lop sided in comparison tests. Not so with the MV they are on an even playing field.

Lets not forget that a rider on the previous gen F4 312R was the fastest recorded 'media' test of a production bike on the nurburgring for a long while in 2007. Not an infalible test circuit, but kinda shows that the F4 has always been up there with the best of em.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well chaps I read these stories with a very strange feeling. I have a 2012 RR and I have none of these problems......I can get through 8-11k without any dropping off or stutter.
I have to agree with Fergy. The only issue I had with my bike was an idling problem that was fixed. The new F4RR is an improvement from my 2007 F4 in every way. No RPM drop offs for me hitting 12K and up on highway going 160mph.

Maybe it's the assembly line at MV. If there is more than one line then Fergy and I got the good assembly line. lol

·
Registered
96 Posts
My experience is pretty much in line with Fergy´s and Styles´s.
So far so good. The engine pulls nicely all the way up to the maximum.

The only issue so far has been a recall:The dealer was instructed by the factory to replace "an oil pump sprocket". Don´t even know exactly whether it was a sprocket driving the oil pump, or one within the pump.
Nevertheless, no big deal, it only took a short visit to the dealer.

Enjoying the bike very much and trying to familiarize myself with the suspension adjustments.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts