MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out for a ride yesterday, (bike has done about 3200 miles), and was stopped at a set of traffic lights. The engine was at a low idle (800rpm) and the oil light started to flicker. I blipped the throttle and it stopped, but when the revs settled back to 800 rpm, it did it again. I immediately switched off. Let the oil settle and checked the level, which was just below max (as I expected as checked regularly).

I rode back home carefully and made sure the engine didn't idle. No sign of the light again, even when I got home.

Anyone come accross this?....think I need to get the pump checked out or.... :shitfan:

Tont

·
Administrator
19,875 Posts
It should not be idling at only 800 rpm. That may be all that is wrong.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers both...mind put someway to rest...still going to get it checked out.
bikes running like a dream...just could without this scare!

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
If the oil level was just below max you have no problem.
It seems like the sensor was not working well :stickpoke

·
Administrator
19,875 Posts
Oil pressure increases with engine rpm. Specification on most plain bearing bikes like ours is normally measured around 3000 rpm with engine at operating temps (at least 140 F or 60 C). Pressure drops substantially at idle, even on good engines. It is also much higher when the oil is cold (duh). At 800 rpm idle (300~400+ below spec) it is probably low enough for the sensor to trip. Rather then thinking you may have a faulty sensor, I think you just tested it as working well. Turn your idle speed up to spec (1200 rpm+/-) and watch the light go out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts