MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this becomes arised again but I wonder if any of you has tested and compared the F4 1000R and the F4 R312?

If so, what are the differences in fueling, power band, general engine performance, gearbox operation?

I remmember Mike saying he was not happy with his 1000R on the 5000rpms range, does anybody coment this on the r312?

I am considering to trade my S and not sure if I shall go for the R312 or the R.

Thansk for your advice.

·
Ball & Chain magnet
3,027 Posts
a few mombers have said that thier 312's have better fueling ....and the 5k surge isn't there..... maybe they'll chime in and have a say..... Lewis??

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some people said the power band at low rpms on the S was better than the R version, then it came the R312 and magazines wrote "this bike has poor low rpms power band than the previous model", others read " the general engine performance on the r312 is better". where do we stay ????
That´s why I am asking to anyone who tried both and can compare.

·
Ball & Chain magnet
3,027 Posts
the S model is better at lower revs.... the R and 312 have more revs than the S model, as well as higher top speed (if that matters), and better internal components, as well as re-worked intake and such....but one downfall is that they run just a bit hotter than the S model...which runs hot too... kinda damned if you do, damned if you don't (but in a good way)
For the street, it has been recomended that that the S is better for stop and go's and just all out drivability and you can't benefit from the R or 312 until you hit the tracks (from a racers point of view)
So it's really up to the customer(s) that want the bike..... I feel that I wouldn't benefit from getting a 312 or R model since I won't be able to push any of the three bikes to their limits with my skills.... although I am a great rider :stickpoke
All that aside..... the new 312 still has me interested and gets me thinking of what could be :f4:
It's harder to upgrade the 312's exhaust, atleast to get rid of the "cat"

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Manuel, since you're planning on upgrading from your S, get the 312R :)
I never rode the R so i can't say anything about it, but buying new now the 312R is the way to go, for sure.

I already told you what are my feelings about the 312R vs my previous S, so i won't say anything more.
Hope others chime in here and state their view :)

Now, here's my advice............. :nutkick: stop thinking about it anymore and get your ass to the dealer this next Saturday (i'll be there for first service) to pick up your brand new 312R :f4: :yo: :yo: and we'll met up there :D

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
go with the 312......although it may not have quite the low down grunt as my S, it is definitely smoother fueling than my S (even with with ti mid, rg3s and PC).

·
Registered
756 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
You know, there's a rumor that a redesign may show up at Milan in November. ;)
Alan, I saw that a few times...is the rumor about a design or could an actual bike may show up at Milan? Nothing like speculation

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
All I know is what I've read on this board plus some speculations like: 1) a ten year old run for the 916 and 2) Tamburini saying a design needs to remain fresh for 10 years, and 3) the MV's been around since 1999, and 4) Cagiva's gots some cash to go racing (not like they're going bankrupt).

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so... who thought this to be an easy decision?

If I make the move and a new model is presented I will have a not so new bike and will depreciate the value but...
...if I dont make the move to the R312 and a new model is presented I stay with an older bike and its value will also depreciate...so the new bike arival (new model) isnt of much importance over here.

by buying an R maybe we can get a better deal but that is temporal as when you sell it you will loose that advantage.

If that was an issue would be better to look at Ducati for instace and blink the eye to the 1098. The issue is that when we get used to MV we must stick to it, we just dont accept going backwards, we need that solid front end...

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I suspect most of your S' depreciation has already happened. You'll probably loose more if you trade to a 312 or R now and then trade again when the new model comes out.

I had thought about the 312 but will await for the new model to arrive. Now, if I were a new comer who was shopping for an S, R, or 312, that would be a harder situation. But if you have an S, enjoy it for a few more months.

Also, with Ducati, I suspect the 1098 will depreciate very quickly when the 1198 version comes out. The FIM rules said 3000 units will need to be produced by 2010. So, I suspect that's when the non-R Ducati models will get the 1198cc engine.

On the bright side, 4 more months till Milan. :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
txs Allan I must agree with your point there.
Unless I get a really good deal now with a new bike I will keep mine till Milan. When is it exactly?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Utterly delighted! 1000R The Bottomline

You my recall that I posed the same question a few weeks ago. I now have an F41000R and......touch wood, there are no signs of the apparent fuelling problems reported, in fact no apparent problems, full-stop. She flies! Looks a beauty! Admittedly, I do not have the afficianado status as many of you have built up.

I had the same dilemma.....312/1000R?

What swung it for me were bikes (1000R) which was full list price in March 2007 being advertised for £3k below list (and falling!), presumably due to the launch of the 312R. Alright if money is no object, but that made the 1000R look a bargain to me!

Can see the 312R bombing the same way in price when the rumoured 'new bike' arrives.

It's my first MV, but it certainly won't be the last!

I congratulate the forum..... a wealth of information and the characters contributing are highly entertaining!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I test rode the R & the 312 back to back.
to be honest, with my level of ability, I could not really tell them apart on the road. For sure they are both a significant step up from my previous bike (Blade)
In the real world, the only thing that seperates them is the price tag IMO
I opted to take the R version, as I felt that an extra £500 was unjustified.
Had I felt a difference, then maybe I would have gone for the 312

In hindsight, maybe I should have gone for the 312, as the R is discontinued, but then again, does that make the R a little more exclusive???!!!
:stir:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would add a couple of thoughts if they help - not necesarily my own.

My MV/Benelli dealer, who I have always found to be honest and straightforward, and who OWNS a 312, recommended that of the 2 of them, he would recommend the R over the 312 for road use. The higher revs (17k = 130mph in 2nd gear!!!) are not a consideration in the real world. Over the S, the R will always be much smoother than an S (which I have got), whatever you do to it - even with with a PC, removed cat etc. Obviously you get all the other bits over and above the S, which both the S and 312 have, but he maintained that the R was the "best choice" for mere mortals like me.

(P.S. He has 2 new R's and 2 new 312's for sale, so no axe to grind either way).

(P.P.S. he also has an Ago, and a Tambourini, so I had to get outta there quick before I broke down and cried at my lack of funds!)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
melmat said:
In hindsight, maybe I should have gone for the 312, as the R is discontinued, but then again, does that make the R a little more exclusive???!!!
:stir:

Thats a good one, but if that is true so why the hell should I trade my S????

As the clash song "should I stay or should I go" for the R?

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
obijohnkenobe said:
(P.S. He has 2 new R's and 2 new 312's for sale, so no axe to grind either way).
No exactly.... because R's are a lot harder to sell now.

And, hey, i'm not saying your dealer is not right.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts