MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to get some new tyres today, the first set since owning the bike.

I've just picked it up with no new tyres because they cannot get the rear wheel nut off. Said they tried everything and to be fair they are a good reputable garage so I don't doubt that. They said they had a air gun on it, long wrench and applied some heat(that was worrying).

What I'm left with though, is bald tyres and wheel nut that's stuck on.

Has anyone had this issue? Does anyone have any ideas? I've thought about running a small dremel tool through the nut but it's a little worrying to be honest.

Also can anyone recommend a good wheel nut replacement?

Appreciate any help with this.

·
Super Moderator
23,720 Posts
Ok. There are myriad threads about stuck rear wheel nuts and how to remove them. The threads cover removal, tools, reconditioning and prevention.
Corrosion is usually the culprit and simply being patient while an impact wrench breaks the galvanic corrosion bond is the best course.
People have gone to the impressive extent of the Shock and Awe tool and massive torque multipliers.
Have a little fun with SEARCH....

Reactions: Fatpastyhead

·
Registered
879 Posts
Let's just assume that you took to the Locking pin out before you try to remove it...

If that's what the shop you took it to did to your wheel nut without you trying to get it off on your own I would make them pay for it because they weren't using the correct tapered nut removal tool

There are about a thousand threads on this subject already and yes they do get seized on there if you don't apply some sort of Grease or lubricant that prevents galling and corrosion. Obviously no fault of your own because this is the first time that you tried to remove it but just an FYI

Now that you're nut is garbage, you can get creative and how you want to remove it. My personal favorite is massive breaker bar and my wife sitting on the bike pressing on the rear brake. Some people have reported that even a half inch impact doesn't do the trick so you may need to go to shop that has three-quarter inch or 1 inch Drive impact gun. Yes they get that stuck on there!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok. There are myriad threads about stuck rear wheel nuts and how to remove them. The threads cover removal, tools, reconditioning and prevention.
Corrosion is usually the culprit and simply being patient while an impact wrench breaks the galvanic corrosion bond is the best course.
People have gone to the impressive extent of the Shock and Awe tool and massive torque multipliers.
Have a little fun with SEARCH....
Thank you. I did do this afterwards so I apologise for making another thread on it.

·
Super Moderator
23,720 Posts
No worries. It brings this very common problem back to light.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let's just assume that you took to the Locking pin out before you try to remove it...

If that's what the shop you took it to did to your wheel nut without you trying to get it off on your own I would make them pay for it because they weren't using the correct tapered nut removal tool

There are about a thousand threads on this subject already and yes they do get seized on there if you don't apply some sort of Grease or lubricant that prevents galling and corrosion. Obviously no fault of your own because this is the first time that you tried to remove it but just an FYI

Now that you're nut is garbage, you can get creative and how you want to remove it. My personal favorite is massive breaker bar and my wife sitting on the bike pressing on the rear brake. Some people have reported that even a half inch impact doesn't do the trick so you may need to go to shop that has three-quarter inch or 1 inch Drive impact gun. Yes they get that stuck on there!

It was a proper locking pin before they attacked it.

I'm a little pissed off that they decided to do what they did without even consulting me first.

The nut is ruined and I've found a titanium evotech so I'll order that. In the meantime it's going back on the stand tomorrow.

Creative is definitely the word. It seems everyone has their own way of removing these so I'll go through each and every method until it's off.

·
Vendor
5,611 Posts
3/4 impact gun at a tyre shop or a breaker bar with a piece of pipe as an extension.Some one on the bike with rear brake applied.
They certainly stuffed that nut.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Fatpastyhead Please let us know how it turns out. Hahaha, oh boy... sorry. 🤦‍♂️

·
Wing Nut
21,713 Posts
You can borrow my 1 inch drive tool (the Shock and Awe tool)... just pay postage. Guaranteed to work.

·
Premium Member
BMW HP4 Carbon 2013, ZX10R Gen 1 2004, F3 800 2017
131 Posts
Man, they've made a real mess of your wheel nut...I've yet to attempt to take mine off, it's on the cards after my track bike prep comes to fruition.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had the same problem with a friends Brutale. Tried a breaker bar with him sat on the bike, all that did was lift the bike into the air. Cracked out the Dewalt impact wrench and with patience that freed the nut. As others have said with the correct grease you should be able to remove the nut easily in future.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I had the same problem with a friends Brutale. Tried a breaker bar with him sat on the bike, all that did was lift the bike into the air. Cracked out the Dewalt impact wrench and with patience that freed the nut. As others have said with the correct grease you should be able to remove the nut easily in future.
That was your problem all along you should have got a hot chick to sit on the bike and then it would have came right off!

·
Registered
243 Posts
My preferred method is to tie dow the bike (in my case on the trailer) to lock the wheel and prevent bike from lifting and use a long breaker bar.

Already bought a impact gun just for that and never worked.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 F4 AGO 2017 TVL RC
6,416 Posts
If you spray the nut with some penetrating oil and let it sit for a few hours, then using as good quality pneumatic impact gun with a tapered socket and patience it will come off. No need for a pry bar or someone sitting on the bike

1 - 20 of 65 Posts