MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, just wanted to share some stuff that has been on my mind and get yours thoughts. Here is the story for those that doesn't bother for the long read.

Back in early 2011, at the age of 27, a dream came true when I got my first "big" superbike, a white 2010 Ducati 848 with only 100kms on the clock. Couldn't had been more happy with the bike except for the fact that I was looking for a 1198 the last few months I had it. It was gorgeous, fast, sounded great, never had any problem and I did all the maintenance by my own, got me smiling every time I got my leg over it and made me go to some lean angles that surprises me even now a days when I look at some track days pics.

After almost 2 years and 23.000kms, a sad episode involving three other guys and some guns at my face (at speed) took the bike from me. So there I was looking for a new bike. At that time there were no brand new ducatis on the market (1199 was not available here, Ducati stayed out of Brazilian marked for a short period, but that's a different story), the ask prices for second hand 1198s where high and insurance costs doubled on me after the episode. Even never having been a big MV fan, neither of the single headlight design, it was not that hard for then to take my money on a brand new 2012 F4 (which is the 2010 model for you guys), without test rides or anything.

And what a pleasant surprise it was. Smooth and yet even more powerful engine, at all rev range! Handles better, brake power is better, more comfortable, easier to ride (actually became lazy changing gears on roads), made better lap times first time on track, also sounds and looks amazingly and made even more months open at gas stations. What a incredible machine. Superb.

But now I am, after almost one year and a half and a bit more than 12.000kms, I got myself fantasizing sometimes in the last month about another Duc. For a second bike I would have one on a blink of an eye.

Should I feel bad about myself? Or this feeling would go away the first time I jump my leg over a Duc again?

Cheers

·
Registered
661 Posts
yeah, if you are into these two of the finest brands out there, you won't be able to make up your mind, so may as well achieve one of each, or two of each, if you can. That way you will always be riding what you like :). Still working towards the next one. Keep the dreaming alive! JMO

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
I agree with the above. Get two of each. Life is boring without important goals.

·
Formerly WYD OPN
2,150 Posts
Yeah, and I even have some (cover your ears) JapCrap and Milwaukee products.

In order of importance:

Two Wheels
Italian
MV Agusta

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Yeah, and I even have some (cover your ears) JapCrap and Milwaukee products.

In order of importance:

Two Wheels
Italian
MV Agusta
Of course!!! Over time when the value increases you can trade in for number 2 and 3 on your list :stickpoke

Actually; my list is the same but can be downsized to no 3 :D

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
three other guys and some guns at my face (at speed) took the bike from me.
Glad you survived it. Bikes are replaceable.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Let's be real honest about it. If you love riding equally or more than you like looking at them, one won't be practical. The service intervals are just too close. You need to have a second to tie you over while one is getting serviced or while you are in the process or servicing (if you service yourself). I have been throttling my usage and still managed over 6K miles in 5 months on the Duc. When it needs to be worked on next at 7K, I won't feel so bad while some hopefully expert mechanic is working on her. I'll get her back, and soon enough, while my other baby is all ready to go, sitting there, waiting for me, to tie me over. YMMV

·
Formerly WYD OPN
2,150 Posts
Let's be real honest about it. If you love riding equally or more than you like looking at them, one won't be practical. The service intervals are just too close. You need to have a second to tie you over while one is getting serviced or while you are in the process or servicing (if you service yourself). I have been throttling my usage and still managed over 6K miles in 5 months on the Duc. When it needs to be worked on next at 7K, I won't feel so bad while some hopefully expert mechanic is working on her. I'll get her back, and soon enough, while my other baby is all ready to go, sitting there, waiting for me, to tie me over. YMMV
I honestly don't see how anyone can have only one motorcycle; for the reasons you've indicated, and several others.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for the comments.

Unfortunately, it's not the right time for me to have the second bike, and as someone said here what is important is to keep some goals to be achieved.

I can see the reason for having more than one bike, but it's seem mores reasonable for me to keep just one. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts