MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys I have serious motorcycleitus and will buy one of these two probably around sept. oct. both have me lusting for them.

I have wanted an MV since they came out, its just so sexy... But it doesnt have that v-twin and dry clutch that I love.

SO my options are one or the other cant do both. If the MV had a twin with a dry clutch it would be game over sign at the dotted line, but it doesnt. So my problem exists, I love the dry clutch, and I do love that v-twin. But I lust for the MV.

For those of you that have both which one feels better when riding. That something that most people cant explain, its just something that draws you to ride your bike. Which one do you have that feeling for.

I am lost with this choice. I want both... or a mix of the two.... I really need to look at both side by side, sit on both. I am just afraid if I buy the MV I will regret it just for that twin and dry clutch. I dont know... seems the MV is a bit more exclusive which has a good and bad. Both dealers for the Duc and MV will be 4-5 hours away in Dallas. Prices are about equal.

Guys give me some help.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I think you will find plenty of ideas in the following thread...

Just out of curiosity...are you planning to do the service yourself? Or will you ride it ti the dealer for service? Truck?

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ASM said:
I think you will find plenty of ideas in the following thread...

Just out of curiosity...are you planning to do the service yourself? Or will you ride it ti the dealer for service? Truck?
Thats what happens when you cant sleep your thoughts of the search button go away... thank you sir.

I will be hauling it down to dallas, I am fortuante that I have a very close friend that I can stay with for weekend trips and he rides also...

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Dova80 said:
I will be hauling it down to dallas, I am fortuante that I have a very close friend that I can stay with for weekend trips and he rides also...
You are very welcome...you are lucky...I am missing that friend...and a truck... ;)

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I just have good friends wouldnt call me to lucky.

The thread was intresting, and didnt help but confuse me even more...lol

I have a feeling either way I will still want the other. I will just have to go down look in person, sit, feel, hear, and listen to which one talks to me...

·
Registered
689 Posts
The dry clutch is no big deal. They make noise, but if you're not racing, I wouldn't have it swing the decision one way or the other.

My two favorite bikes are my 748 and my MV. The handling is very similar, but the engines are quite different. On a tight, twisty road, I'd be faster on the 748. If it's a little more open with big sweepers, I'd be faster on my MV. I'm definitely NOT sorry I got either.

I expect that this doesn't help you decide at all. Sorry for that. I'll add this: Whenever I ride the 748, I'm reminded just how much I love it. Just thinking it's in the garage reminds me how much I love the MV.

·
Registered
146 Posts
First, let me say how much I enjoy and appreciate all the terrific and very entertaining posts and pics on this website. Really a blast to read! You guys gave me a lot of info which was very helpful in making my decision that lead to the purchase last Friday of a brand, spankin' new F4R in Pearl/Black. 246 miles last weekend and ZERO buyer's remorse. Thanks again!
Regarding the decision between the Duc and the F4, I know it's tough. I rode the 1098S for about 25 minutes immediately after about the same amont of time on the Agusta. They both handle like scalpels and I have a long way to go before I'm able to ride either at 10/10ths. I found the Ducati more comfortable and loved the all digital Moto GP style cockpit, but the V-twin, while a fantastic motor to be sure, is still a twin and a little "rough" for my taste, especially when compared to the exquisitely, smooth "howl" of the inline 4 of the MV. But, although it is very subjective, when compared side by side, it was IMPOSSIBLE for me not to look at the Agusta. To me, it is absolutely stunning and seductive and I admit that the exclusivity also appealed to me. Also, I thought the fit and finish was better on the MV. Both bikes are pretty much world class and which ever way your heart takes you, I'm sure you won't be dissapointed. But I'll tell ya, the guys on the forum were right; The F4 is in a class all by itself. Oh,one more thing, I saw the 1098 a few days later in black. Very, very cool. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Dova80 said:
ok guys I have serious motorcycleitus and will buy one of these two probably around sept. oct. both have me lusting for them.

I have wanted an MV since they came out, its just so sexy... But it doesnt have that v-twin and dry clutch that I love.

SO my options are one or the other cant do both. If the MV had a twin with a dry clutch it would be game over sign at the dotted line, but it doesnt. So my problem exists, I love the dry clutch, and I do love that v-twin. But I lust for the MV.

For those of you that have both which one feels better when riding. That something that most people cant explain, its just something that draws you to ride your bike. Which one do you have that feeling for.

I am lost with this choice. I want both... or a mix of the two.... I really need to look at both side by side, sit on both. I am just afraid if I buy the MV I will regret it just for that twin and dry clutch. I dont know... seems the MV is a bit more exclusive which has a good and bad. Both dealers for the Duc and MV will be 4-5 hours away in Dallas. Prices are about equal.

Guys give me some help.

Think this question has been flogged to death! No question, they are both superb bikes in their own right. Twin of four? I had a 999 before the MV and whilst the engine was superb etc etc the build qualitiy was crap. Reading the moans and complaints from 1098 owners, it would appear thats still a problem along with stalling issues etc. Also, I think Ducati have just recalled some 1098's for possible faults. I think you have got to go for a long test ride on both and way up what you want it for, track or road or both. For me, the MV has everything, build quality, attention to detail and performance and sounds like a formula 1 racing car. I also feel that the MV is such a special ride and I always look forward to my next solo flight. I liked my Ducati but I LOVE my MV!

Good luck with the decision

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Sounds to me like you want a Duke (V twin, dry clutch) more than the MV, but why not try and get both in some shape or form. If you were thinking of buying a new 1098 or a 312 for example, you could probably get a nice 750 F4 and a 996 for similar money. Just a thought :stickpoke If it must be a new bike, I would make your decision and then save up for a second hand version of the other bike. I must admit I've done this with my 1000S and ST4s Duke, I love the MV and will always have one in the garage until I'm too infirm to ride it but I love V twins also and the ST4s (whilst not a 1098 or 999) does have the 996 engine and doesn't hang around for a tourer. A friend of mine who is also a member on this forum has done it the other way around, he has a new 1098 and has just bought a very nice Evo III 750 F4. :)

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
nicensleazy said:
I had a 999 before the MV and whilst the engine was superb etc etc the build qualitiy was crap.
:wtf: The built quality of my 999 is great (maybe because it's an R).
And if you didn't like the build quality of the 999 then don't even look at the 1098 :later:

Dova, i'm sorry but i can't help you much.
I have the two kinds for some reason and i don't really know which one i'd choose if i had to ony pick one.
As i usually say when this dilema comes up........ just follow your heart and never look back :)

But John's advice makes sense unless you really want a new latest and greatest bike.
I mean, maybe you could get a nice F4 750 and a 749/748 so you could have both worlds at hand :smoking:
But if what you really want is a new bike, don't let this influence you a bit and get a new bike :yo:

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
I forgot to add...... just very recently i choosed an F4 312R over a 1098S and have no regrets whatsoever (on the contrary :f4: :yo: :yo: )

·
Registered
571 Posts
The build quality of the MV F4 is excellent. Besides it has a simple design, so it is easy to maintain it by ourselves.

PS The 1098 is on the limit of worse quality

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
MV-999R said:
:wtf: The built quality of my 999 is great (maybe because it's an R).
And if you didn't like the build quality of the 999 then don't even look at the 1098 :later:

Dova, i'm sorry but i can't help you much.
I have the two kinds for some reason and i don't really know which one i'd choose if i had to ony pick one.
As i usually say when this dilema comes up........ just follow your heart and never look back :)

But John's advice makes sense unless you really want a new latest and greatest bike.
I mean, maybe you could get a nice F4 750 and a 749/748 so you could have both worlds at hand :smoking:
But if what you really want is a new bike, don't let this influence you a bit and get a new bike :yo:

Yeah, body work the 999R is lovely, pure carbon. However, I had the 999 which did not reflect its big brothers appearence/quality. Rough & unpainted edges and blemishes on the side panels etc. Thank God for MV!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Riding the 1098 and the F4 1000 are not similar in my opinion. The MV has a much more aggressive position. The transmission is better on the MV. The suspension feels better on the MV. (slightly softer or more compliant for street rideing than the 1098). The big twin vibrates and booms. The MV purrs. As you work your way up the power band the booming turns into a pleasant drone. The MV starts to scream. (I love that scream more than anything else.)

Except at idle, you can't hear the dry clutch anyway. I assume it is the sound of the clutch you prefer. The brakes on the 1098 are scarey great. The brakes on the MV are merely great.

You can ride about 60 miles further on the MV before you run out of gas.

The MV makes its power above 9000. The Ducati makes it everywhere. Rolling on the throttle, say to pass slower moving traffic, in any of the first three gears will pull the front wheel off the ground on the Ducati, not so on the MV. ( I have the 41 tooth sprocket)

And, now for a little simile. The 1098 is like a hot date from the bad side of town. She is hot, loud, and likes it a little rough. The MV is very refined, sexy and smooth.

If I had to sell one, I would sell the 1098 and keep the MV.
CAG

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
I have tormented myself pondering the same issue over the last couple of months. I found the 1098 more comfortable and easier to ride but I kept going back to look at the F4.

After reading as much info as I could, listening to what the forum members have to say (especially those that own both bikes) going for multiple test rides (thank you dealers) and following my heart probably more than my head, I chose the F4.

My 1098 that arrives next week has now been sold to some other lucky punter and my F41000 arrives in about seven days. It's a VERY long seven days. I'm sure I will buy a 1098 next year...maybe there will be an R model, but for now I am really happy to have decided on the MV.

Follow your heart.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Dova80 said:

Guys give me some help.
BUY the MV and get a recording of a Duc with a dry clutch,stick it in your iPOD and listen to it while you ride!!!:laughing:

1 - 20 of 88 Posts