MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am preparing my MV 1000 for track days next year and wanted to ask if anyone knows of crash protection for such places as the swingarm and engine cover.
I also saw somewhere some carbon crash protectors for the edge of the petrol tank.
It has to be easily converted back for road use.
I am puting on race fairings with crash nobs but any suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
409 Posts
u got some balls is my only offerings .

i was shopping a new track bike when i found my MV , an i dont have the balls to ride it past the front gate of a track . really not looking forward to that first scratch

·
Registered
330 Posts
once you get the first scratch, the rest are easier to deal with. You might want to get a cf cover for the swing arm but I would suggest looking at shift tech's site for the case front galley cover, that carbon has kevlar in it and protects a super vulnerable place on the cases.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Greg, I track my MV and last year lowsided at Donnington Park thru Redgate. The bike and I went off into the kitty litter but I was able to ride it back to the pit garages, clean it up and was out again after lunch. The reason I was able to do this was because of the full set of R&G crash bungs that I had put on the day before. These saved the clipons and levers (only lost the rear brake foot rest but don't use rear brake so not a problem). Once I got home and was able to evaluate the condition properly I found that every single panel (sides, front, belly, tank, airbox & seat unit) had been damaged due to the grit blasting effect of the gravel. I was lucky that it didn't flip but even the side that didn't go down was damaged by the gravel being thrown up as the bike carved a path thru it on it's right side. There were no dents or damage to any other part of the bike just damage to the paint work on all the panels. The R&G crash bungs kept all the other parts of the bike off the ground.
So the moral of this story is (as you're rightly doing) buy track plastics and cover up the airbox and tank with something if only to save it from gravel damage (unfortunately I don't know what you could use. I've seen some guys put heavy tape over the box and tank edges to protect it but I wouldn't recommend this). If you're unfortunate enough to highside nothing you put on the bike is going to make a difference.
There is, however, one note of caution with the forward most crash bungs that bolt into the engine. I have read that these crash bungs can actually damage the engine if the bike goes down and crack the local area around where they bolt into. Something to think about. I have kept mine in since then. As for the swing arm some of the rear huggers also extend to protect the swing arm to an extent.
Hope some of this has helped.
Hope you have a good Xmas.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Here is some pics of Badovini's bike with protectors.
And the EVR version, note scrapes on sprocket cover.
There is a carbon protector for swingarm . I think it was a german site as remember it advertised as used on J Tuechert MV in the German Superbikes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I also put on my spare tank and airbox for track. I can't bear to think of the red blood on my hands!!!

Ian's mention above can be found at http://lieb-speed.de/ he has quite a few protective bits that I believe Emoto also sells for him?

You may want to consider the carbon frame plate covers. Even a tipover will drive the brake pedal into the frame plate scratching it badly.

Headlight glass is extremely expensive, you may want to consider emoto's fairing stay for the clocks.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Pics are from Imola Pier.You are with me when I took them.

Maybe you misunderstand, the carbon swingarm protector I saw maybe 2years ago on Jorg Tuecherts MV and then on the liebspeed site. Not on Badovini's.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, this is exactly what I was after.
I would assume as more MV's move onto being used at track days that a company like e moto will have a track package ready.
I will source this stuff over the XMas break and begin my project.
I have allready thrown a MV 750 down the track about 4 years ago, so I know the risks. But this bike is too good to just use on the road.
I will send photos next year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts