MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
F4 1000R 2007

I fitted a new battery today. I didn't do the reverse polarity trick but for a microsecond the Allen key touched the positive to the frame. :wtf:

I know the negative should be connected last but It's very awkward as it is under the subframe tank bridge on my bike,

Stupid mistake but there were no big sparks so I carried on.

I then found the instrument lights oil, Battery and neutral are on even when the ignition switch is in the off position.

Also when I switch the ignition to on absolutely nothing happens except those 3 annunciator lights stay on,

The starter solenoid diode had blown so I fitted a replacement and checked the 40 A fuse and all the right side fuses and all were ok.

But no change..so I changed the General feed and latch relay..still no change...
So I changed the instrument first and then the ECU and still no change.

I then disconnected the alternator plug and again no change.

Now, the ignition switch is stiff in action and I am wondering if this could be the Gremlin.

Looks like a bit of time will need to be spent poring over the diagrams.

I would like to ask if any of you good fellas has had a similar situation...?

When I change gear the neutral light does go off.

I wish I had done something different today..Like watered the flowers or something useful like that !

Joe

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Jo Mateo feel for you, I have a working F4 1000R ecu here if you need it, you have helped me so happy to repay the favours, if you need it PM me.

·
Vendor
5,367 Posts
Geez Joe what are you doing.Just a question isn't there a second diode across the General relay for ignition?

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jim and Mitchy.

Jim I put a spare ecu on and stays the same.

Mitchy..I swapped both the general feed and latch relay...and yeah I know...plonker !

I'm going to step back from the bike and think it through.

The ignition switch itself could be faulty.

The main symptom is power to the neutral .oil. battery lamps on the dash and neutral switch is working......with the ignition switched off ! When ignition is switched on nothing changes.

I've eliminated dash.alternator.ecu.general feed and latch relay.

I've got a lot on for a few days so will give me time to think.

I like a challenge and I reckon I got one now !

Cheers !

Joe

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Are all of your grounds to the battery in place? What happens if you unplug the ignition switch?

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are all of your grounds to the battery in place? What happens if you unplug the ignition switch?

Thanks Al...Yes all grounds in place...I'll take the ignition switch off and test it.

I have to leave the bike alone for a bit..probably safer but a tad frustrating as I want to make her well again..

I really should be able to diagnose the fault by looking at the diagram ...Then go fix it like a pro and not the idiot who caused it !!

Joe

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a theory that when the diode above the starter solenoid blows that the dash will have the oil neutral and side stand annunciators light up.
I've bought a packet of diodes and I'll solder one in place ..Will have to wait until November now.

I'm interested in what guys who have had a problem connecting the battery have seen on the dash.

Joe

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I finally got back to the bike this weekend.
I pored over the wiring diagram and went out to the bike.
I swapped the relays to eliminate them.
No change. The instrument lights were still on with the ignition off.
So I pulled the 40a fuse and still same.

Id eliminated every electrical component on the bike...
Then the penny dropped...
Id connected the second ground cable to positive.
I switched it round and bingo.!!! She lives..I cant begin to tell the tears of relief !

Moral of the tale never ever rush and label those main wires. They all look the same.

Now..time for a beer !
Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts