MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had previously noticed some acid corrosion from the previous battery. I had managed to clean up the corrosion crust but some of it had gotten onto the swing arm. I had attempted to neutralized it with some baking soda but it appears that the powder coat and been corroded off leaving behind a white spot which I think its the primer coat. Is there any way to fix this or I have to re-powder coat it? The location is just outside the coverage of the carbon swingarm cover :thewife:

If I am to re-powder it, Im thinking of re-powder it gold together with the frame/subframe bracket and this rims to replicate the F3 Oro or just to powder coat the swingarm black. I read that due to high temperature curing of the powder coat might reduce the tensile strength of the wheels and it might not last so is it better to paint it with a clearcoat. The power of one small spot of acid corrosion....

Attachments

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'd try some auto touchup paint, applied by finger, rubbing it into the rough casting. Why spend big $ for such a small spot of discoloration.

·
Registered
661 Posts
engine paint, high temp black, matt. then keep eye on any further changes to the surface.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had used the high temp paint method and the results are close to the original paint. I went to my workshop and asked for a quotation for powder coating the frame brackets, swingarm and wheels and was quoted around USD800 inclusive of labor. I had changed a new battery and its fine. Guess the bike was sitting at the dealer for too long without removing the battery which resulted in the battery acid leak. Now to move on to the next issue which is the oil leak found at the side stand. :jsm::jsm:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,045 Posts
These bikes use a factory sealed gel battery. Those do not leak.
If normal, non-sealed, lead-acid battery was installed, someone really screwed up as the battery lives on its side and is subject to all manner of tilting and acceleration stress.

·
Registered
14,406 Posts
These bikes use a factory sealed gel battery. Those do not leak.
If normal, non-sealed, lead-acid battery was installed, someone really screwed up as the battery lives on its side and is subject to all manner of tilting and acceleration stress.
well Chuck a lot of pictures have been posted of bikes with stock AGM Yuasa batteries that leaked on swing arms

:jsm:

·
Super Moderator
22,045 Posts
Really>?

·
Super Moderator
22,045 Posts
I haven't ever had a Yuasa fail. That's 35 years of various bikes in all kinds of weather and circumstances. And that includes that stupid "T" shaped battery in the '83 Honda Shadow. I didn't think the factory sealed units could leak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts