MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just talking to a friend and he said that bikes imported into the USA have a speed limiter (or governor) installed per DOT regulations. He mentioned his Hayabusa is restricted to 186 mph.

Is there a limiter on the US-spec MV bikes, in particular the F4? If there is, what is needed to disable it? I haven't seen any mention of a governor on the forum to date, but I may have missed it, being new here.

Ciao,
John

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
John, no speed limiter on the F4. :yo:

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
No speed limiter on European spec. F4's Manuel, but there may be on the US spec. bikes. :eek:

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
john said:
No speed limiter on European spec. F4's Manuel, but there may be on the US spec. bikes. :eek:
I a way there is; I hit the rev limiter in sixth gear. I can assure you that's a speed limiter :king:

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Yeah, there's a top speed thread somewhere--If there was a limiter (which I don't think there is), the F4 is limited by its own drag first anyway.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I dont think DOT has a set limit I read in cycle world that the big japanese bike manufactures got to gether and agreed on there own that it would be 186 because they were affraid if they kept going faster and faster like the busa and other that some countries might make there own regulations. I think the article was talking about how allot in the goverment think speed kills or big fast outragus bikes kill but some big university did a study and found most accident were caused by smaller cc bike like 600. more 1000cc bike were not in as many accidents. the study said that most people who buy liter bike were more experinced. So we are in less accidents and live longer it also said that most people have there accidents in there first six mths. It has been a really good while since I read this article. It was around the time they limited the busas and everything else.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
No speed limiter here in Australia either.

jcctx said:
I dont think DOT has a set limit I read in cycle world that the big japanese bike manufactures got to gether and agreed on there own that it would be 186 because they were affraid if they kept going faster and faster like the busa and other that some countries might make there own regulations. I think the article was talking about how allot in the goverment think speed kills or big fast outragus bikes kill but some big university did a study and found most accident were caused by smaller cc bike like 600. more 1000cc bike were not in as many accidents. the study said that most people who buy liter bike were more experinced. So we are in less accidents and live longer it also said that most people have there accidents in there first six mths. It has been a really good while since I read this article. It was around the time they limited the busas and everything else.
No question what is said above is true...

There has also been a recent study which shows a new rival to the young novice riders has emerged. It appears now that riders around 40yrs that have not ridden for many years (the old novice) that have decided to resume riding motorcycles purchasing modern high powered bikes now are close to if not the top the list of those most at risk.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I raised the issue merely out of academic interest, of course. I would never consider exceeding the legal posted limit, much less attempting anything over 186.

:rolleyes:

Ciao,
John

·
Registered
583 Posts
I sure as hell would in san antonio on 211 it was perfect nice sweepers and really good straight aways in between with no cops for miles i loved it

·
Registered
571 Posts
Where's 211? Never heard of it.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I know I'm bringing up an old thread here, but yesterday I had a all-gears dyno run on my 05 F41000S bike, originally sold in California. The dyno shows the bike cut out at 186mph.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts