MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having recently replaced a lost tank side cover on my F4, I looked for a way to provide some means of keeping it from falling off again. I thought about the wire tie idea, but I didn't want to drill or modify any of the stock pieces. After toying with a few ideas, I came up with a simple, inexpensive, detachable lanyard arrangement. It uses a couple of bucks worth of wire connectors, wire, and clear tubing.

In the 1st photo, the red arrow indicates a piece of 3/8 inch ID clear tubing. The blue connectors on the right of the wire ends (yellow arrows) are called Bullet Splices (package on left). They provide an easy way to detach the cover so you can get it out of the way when servicing the bike.

The 2nd photo shows an inside view of the side cover, and the long bottom post. The 4 small gussets were cut back to allow room for the large ring connector to slip down.

The 3rd photo shows the large ring connector installed on the post, held in place by a short piece of the clear plastic tubing (indicated by red arrow). The tubing is a tight friction fit, and should be pretty secure. I imagine a bit of rubber cement could be used to insure it doesn't work loose, but it fits quite snugly.

The 4th photo shows the installation hookup. The small ring connector (approximately 1/4 inch ID) attaches to one of the small tank bolts. You can then connect the Bullet Splice and slip the cover back on the bike, carefully tucking the wire away so it's out of sight. The Bullet connectors are also a good tight fit so it's unlikely the would come loose if the cover popped off.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
Very nice!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,193 Posts
Nice idea, I just did this, made a slot with a 1.5mm drill, it's out of sight once the seat is down
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mikef4uk said:
Nice idea, I just did this, made a slot with a 1.5mm drill, it's out of sight once the seat is down
Mike, I saw your mod right after I lost my side cover. I just could not bring myself to drill holes in the plastic. Before I hit on this idea I looked around for some kind of loop to glue to the inside so I could use the wire ties w/o drilling, but no luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,560 Posts
So that's how I lost my side cover is it???

I have been blaming someone that may have nicked it!!

My apologies to all the bastards out there that I blamed,, well why would you nick a side cover anyway?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gazman said:
I have been blaming someone that may have nicked it!!

My apologies to all the bastards out there that I blamed,, well why would you nick a side cover anyway?
Well, you might nick the cover from someone else's bike after yours fell off. :jsm:

Especially after you priced a new one...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
:naughty: sweet
falcopilot said:
Having recently replaced a lost tank side cover on my F4, I looked for a way to provide some means of keeping it from falling off again. I thought about the wire tie idea, but I didn't want to drill or modify any of the stock pieces. After toying with a few ideas, I came up with a simple, inexpensive, detachable lanyard arrangement. It uses a couple of bucks worth of wire connectors, wire, and clear tubing.

In the 1st photo, the red arrow indicates a piece of 3/8 inch ID clear tubing. The blue connectors on the right of the wire ends (yellow arrows) are called Bullet Splices (package on left). They provide an easy way to detach the cover so you can get it out of the way when servicing the bike.

The 2nd photo shows an inside view of the side cover, and the long bottom post. The 4 small gussets were cut back to allow room for the large ring connector to slip down.

The 3rd photo shows the large ring connector installed on the post, held in place by a short piece of the clear plastic tubing (indicated by red arrow). The tubing is a tight friction fit, and should be pretty secure. I imagine a bit of rubber cement could be used to insure it doesn't work loose, but it fits quite snugly.

The 4th photo shows the installation hookup. The small ring connector (approximately 1/4 inch ID) attaches to one of the small tank bolts. You can then connect the Bullet Splice and slip the cover back on the bike, carefully tucking the wire away so it's out of sight. The Bullet connectors are also a good tight fit so it's unlikely the would come loose if the cover popped off.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top