MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I know how bad the rear brakes on the MV are! Years ago, before I knew better I once tried to adjust my rear brake pedal and add some more tension and this caused the rotor and caliper to catch fire! Anyway, I have noticed the Veltro Pista and that bike has the brembo floating rear rotor and four piston caliper from brembo racing. Does the stock rear caliper bracket work or is this a custom application? Does anyone know?

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I wasn't aware anyone actually uses the rear brake :crazyeyes

No idea about that different setup, but I'm wondering if spending money on the rear brake is money well spent?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
acruhl said:

I use mine when rolling to a stop at the lights or a side street. :toothless

I agree that unless you are racing at a high level there is no real value for money going for that rear brake set-up.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My rear brake hasn't worked in a very long time. At every service I ask for a fix. Fine for a couple of hundred kms, then nothing again. Miss it sometimes - just to get a little settled in the tight stuff.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
duke said:
My rear brake hasn't worked in a very long time. At every service I ask for a fix. Fine for a couple of hundred kms, then nothing again. Miss it sometimes - just to get a little settled in the tight stuff.
Exactly the same here..get it re-bled every time it goes in for a service, and I have a rear brake again for 200km or so..........then it goes again.

I miss it inthe city...sitting at lights on a hill, that type of thing..........but when im at the track, or riding hard, I dont touch it :)

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
granted, i don't use it hardly, but i hate pressing it for whatever reason and it doesn't work. the first thing i think of is "i JUST bled it!" once the heat from the pipe gets to it, it just boils it to zero worth.

i think the only true solution for this is to relocate the reservoir. apparently MV does too as they modified it on the 1000. i'm going to move mine to the rear subframe like in the faq. i'm tired of bleeding it and burning all my fluid up.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Same here, I've bled it more than a few times. I always push a lot of air out, so it's boiling I guess. Works great for 50 miles or so, then it doesn't work again.

When Joerg Teuchert was racing an MV, his bike had the rear brake master cylinder AND reservoir mounted on the rearset. if I remember correct. Kind of like the R1 or something. That would probably work.

I even wrapped my pipe in thermal wrap near the master cylinder, didn't help any.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Interesting!

I don't know if this is right, but I do use my rear brake thoughout the corner(carefully) and always with an open throttle! It scrubs off just a tad of speed if need be and because the throttle is open, the chassis is never upset and my line just tightens up!

I feel in complete control when doing so, and the more you do it, the more normal it feels! I use my front brake tons more of course, but the rear brake comes in handy for me.

Never crashed doin' it(knock on wood), but I am very precise with the rear brake.

Maybe this is a complete no-no but it works for me.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
The rear brake on the Brutale has been great. I use it for entertainment purposes. Mostly skidding to a stop crossed up or the occasional 180 like you used to do when you're a kid on a bike. With over 4K it's about ready for a blead but has been working great. Did I mention the Brutale is a fun bike. :)

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I agree with Vlad; after years of never using the rear brake on any of my bikes, I found myself going into corners quicker than I had been used to going on both of my Buells and both of my MV's so I have started using the back brake now. Just a little bit, trailing into fast corners, but once I start to tuck into a line that's it, the foot comes off the brake pedal. I also use it when stopped at traffic lights on a uphill incline, but strangely never on a downhill one. I alway hold the bike on the front brake in those situations. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
i had the same prob with my rear brake for 2 years..i really missed it as i use a rear brake alot in corners... i tried everything, even relocating the reservoir..
but now it works fine..reservoir is also back where it originally was...it just has to be bled properly..believe me this issue has been handled on german forums alot and its just a matter of bleeding ..you need to take the caliper off the bike and hold it at a level higher than the reservoir..then take a lot of care and time in bleeding it properly..using high grade brake fluid..i used lucas dot 5.1...... its been great now for 2000km

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
well maybe i'll try that before i move the reservoir. i still don't see how it protects the fluid from getting cooked especially since it's not used as much as the front, but hey...i'll try anything once...or twice...or, well you get the point.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Please read!

All,

I do not own a MV Agusta yet so I have not experienced your specific rear brake problems but your rear brake issues sounds very similar to the problem that Aprilia owners have experienced with our RSVRs. The problem with our bikes seems to be the way the rear brake is mounted, bleed from the factory and the fact that the rear brake is usually generic and not designed for the specific application. The solution to solving your rear brake problem is to ensure that you bleed your rear brake correctly and ensure that you use a high boiling point brake fluid (such as Castrol SRF fluid). Please read the following forum post as it will assist you with how to properly bleed your rear brake. I have followed these instructions and I have had a solid working rear brake for over 2000 miles and counting. Perviously, with standard bleeding methods, I would loose my rear brake after about 500 - 1000 miles. Hope this helps.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15500

Cheers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rear Brake...

I have the 2 piston billet brembo rear brake on my MV. It is not a custom application. It is off the Ducati Corse parts bin. The eccentric on the MV is identical to the eccentric on a 998RS bike. Thus to install that setup you need a rear brake bracket from Ducati, the caliper, a set of 7MM bolts for the bracket, pads, the 200MM corse rotor.

If you want to make it full floating you will need a spare rotor carrier and will have to have it machined so that the floating buttons will fit it.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Good to know fdeandrade. I like my rear brake and us it in conjunction with the right amount of front brake all the time. It helps both improve your smoothness entering corners and reduce stopping distances when executed correctly.

·
Registered
96 Posts
acruhl said:

No idea about that different setup, but I'm wondering if spending money on the rear brake is money well spent?

Good morning Acruhl,

Good morning greylola,

If you get a little too hot in a turn {track or street} and you run wide or blow the turn completely and ride clear off the pavement, you will be needing a functioning rear brake.....And the muscle memory to use it! ..It may mean the difference between taking a spill or not...Your front brake is worthless on any surface but pavement....

Sometimes the unexpected happens- be ready..................................Of course if you hit a tree your fucked anyway......Stay whole...Be carefull..

-FBD

1 - 19 of 19 Posts