MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After a long wait it was time to take F4R to some real technical stuff to Arkansas and Missouri twisty canyons. We rode about 453 mountain miles on Sunday so here are the first impressions.

Motor:

Power every where best Inline motor I have ridden or heard its just simply awesome. More power then I can handel in a life time.

Handling

I am pleased to say I am quite impressed. In the corners bike is nearly unflappable chassis is amazing very responsive and quick transition to the corners along with elevation changes. When committed to a cornering line bike holds rock steady, 24.5° steering head really did the trick. I was thinking before ride that it would be tough to beat my 999 in handling department but R is as good if not better apart from comfort and twin motor.

Suspension

Suspension is very nice need little tweaking after break in period front Marzocchi forks feels stiff and nice right out of the box at least for my street speed had to adjust the rear pre load since rear was behaving bit independently in some high speed corners few clicks bring it in harmony with front suspension it was all nirvana after that. Over all I am pretty happy with the handling of suspension put there is room for improvements in terms of tweaking did not felt much different from Ohlins on my Duc.

Breaks:

Absolutely in love with Brembo Monoblock breaks very predictable smooth responsive and confident breaking. Have not used much of rear break put it seems to be weak I think with minor adjustment can be improved for some trail breaking in the corners apart from that I personally do not use rear break much.
Tires:

Pirelli’s require little bit of warm up but after that grip is very nice first time used them and really liked them front end seems very stable and you can feel the stick.

Fueling/ ECU:

Fueling is bad when I say bad I mean it really sucks. I can’t believe that you send 25K on a bike and you get this in terms on smoothness and on/off. I want to write a letter to Mr.CC on that.

I thought I could live with 5K surge but it is absolutely ridicules and unacceptable you have no confidence in the corners and it screws up your complete line most of the time I stayed in second or third keeping the bike on above 6k rpm to avoid the damn two stroke motor feeling.

On high altitude hills almost as bad as bike misfiring. Apart from 5k surge the on/off is very bad across the complete power band even close to redline above 8K 9K On/off in very annoying and it hard to keep the intended line.

Overall I am very happy with the bike but It looks like I need to spend another couple of grands to fix the stated issues.

Here are some ride pictures.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Every masterpiece has its flaws...but its uniqueness makes it worthwhile. ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
FSL said:
Breaks:

Absolutely in love with Brembo Monoblock breaks
Thanks for the report. I am in the process of getting a full exhaust and race ECU. From what I've read on these forums, the 5k surge should go away. This is the first I've read that over the entire RPM range the on/off throttle response is bad. That is disappointing.

One other note, our bikes don't actually have monoblock brakes. If you look at the back side of your calipers, you'll see that they are two piece calipers with three bolts holding them together. Monoblock calipers are one piece and have no bolts to hold them together. The info on the MV website is incorrect (last time I looked) as well as magazine articles that also state the bikes have Monoblocks. No big deal as long as the brakes work well.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really like the brakes whatever they are, exhaust and race ecu should take care of all the problems. Whole maping on the bike is screwed up resulting on\off issues across the power band.

·
Registered
28 Posts
hellcat said:
Thanks for the report. I am in the process of getting a full exhaust and race ECU. From what I've read on these forums, the 5k surge should go away. This is the first I've read that over the entire RPM range the on/off throttle response is bad. That is disappointing.

One other note, our bikes don't actually have monoblock brakes. If you look at the back side of your calipers, you'll see that they are two piece calipers with three bolts holding them together. Monoblock calipers are one piece and have no bolts to hold them together. The info on the MV website is incorrect (last time I looked) as well as magazine articles that also state the bikes have Monoblocks. No big deal as long as the brakes work well.
I ran into a guy at the 1098 intro at a dealer here, and they were doing dyno runs. He was getting a baseline pending some exhaust upgrades he was planning. He'd had the F4 about 8 months he said, it ran 154hp at the wheel according to that dyno...sounded wonderful!! It would be interesting to see him again after the mods...

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I totally agree with you, You (or I) should not have to spend extra money on top of what is an expensive bike to the get the thing to run correctly, MV must have known it was not acceptable, I mean they do have test riders?.......................besides us? I will not be buying another MV if they do not supply the "fix" or supply it sorted in the first place, odd how the road test s in the mags never commented on it though?????????????

Mike (RG3, no cat, RG3 ecu and a PC, currently with zero map, and now runs and behaves like it should do) :f4:

·
Registered
571 Posts
mikef4uk said:
odd how the road test s in the mags never commented on it though?????????????
Actually many magazine testers have commented on it's poor fuel delivery.

One called it a "light-switch throttle"! :)

But no doubt, it's unacceptable!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Maybe it's a lean surge, the result of leaning it out for emissions compliance? Sometimes manufacturers have to deliver bikes with poor fueling in order to meet emissions. For years Ducatis were delivered extra lean for this reason (and perhaps still are) and it was simply de rigeur to rejet and pipe the things.

If they shipped the bikes with perfect fueling AND good emissions you might not be happy with the performance potential.

Frankly, I wish more MX bikes were delivered with "poor fueling" so that they could qualify for green stickers in California, leaving it to owners to rejet back to proper spec.

I suspect that's what's going on here.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I feel your pain, the poor fueling is the reason I don't have an MV anymore. I was faster on my 600rr in ALL ways/tracks/speeds than the MV.

If they fix, I buy.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
0700 said:
I feel your pain, the poor fueling is the reason I don't have an MV anymore. I was faster on my 600rr in ALL ways/tracks/speeds than the MV.

If they fix, I buy.
You were faster on a 600?
What kind of lap time were you running between the two?

Just curious, because I was faster on my F4 (vs. 03 R6)

Alex

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
mikef4uk said:
I totally agree with you, You (or I) should not have to spend extra money on top of what is an expensive bike to the get the thing to run correctly, MV must have known it was not acceptable, I mean they do have test riders?.......................besides us? I will not be buying another MV if they do not supply the "fix" or supply it sorted in the first place, odd how the road test s in the mags never commented on it though?????????????

Mike (RG3, no cat, RG3 ecu and a PC, currently with zero map, and now runs and behaves like it should do) :f4:
+1

My setup

Full TI exhaust system, PCIII with zero map, Race ECU ; Now it runs the way it should have when i first bought it.

Regards
AL

·
Registered
284 Posts
Mine runs very well also, moto corse slips, midpipe, pcIII and eprom from MC as well. Theres no track out here on my side, but I feel faster than a 600. HAHAHAHA.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
blade007 said:
Mine runs very well also, moto corse slips, midpipe, pcIII and eprom from MC as well. Theres no track out here on my side, but I feel faster than a 600. HAHAHAHA.
Dont you have the 1000s model? :stickpoke

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Hi all, I have been following this. I have an S and am happy with it. When I tested the R I thought the surge at 5k was like a powerband, not a fueling problem as such. I commented at the time the S felt stronger through this range.
If you look at the curves coming out of the new Ducati 1098's you will see a real hole at 4 to 5K I hear it gets fixed because nearly all Ducati guys buy the exhaust and ECU upgrade.
I am wondering if this is a new noise, Eurpean pollution thing?
The Japanese 07 machines have solved getting around these regulations at the expense of extra performance,. That is most 07's are no more powerful than 06's. However when you put pipes, ecu upgrade etc on the 07 Jap's they do perform better than an 06.
So maybe the Italians just go about this a bit different, knowing that most buyers upgrade the pipes etc.?
Just a thought?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
0700 said:

If they fix, I buy.
Just curious if you tried to resolve the fuelling with

The surging at 7K can be annoying but is supposedly resolved or greatly minimised through tuning TPS/Co (See MV FAQ) or a properly mapped PCIII. Did you give this a shot?

I too have a problem with surging a 7K and I have added to it as my bike has had the exhaust cored (standard chip) and a BMC filter added but I still find it managable...irritating sometimes but managble.

I have a major service coming up in a couple of weeks and the bike shop is getting in a gas analyser (just for me :rolleyes: ...yes an MV dealer without an analyser...anyway) and I will have my first chance at addressing

·
Registered
579 Posts
Geez, guys
relax
You know that no matter what you want, the EPA comes first.
I understand that comprimises must be made for the sake of the enviorment (see Cat. Conveter) and while I am sure the companies would like to make two wheeled bullets, first thay have to make sure the EPA and goverment wont shut down a newly produced bike (we saw boots shake and hands tremor during the speed wars, remeber).
So as long as MV provides a proper backdoor (like suzuki with the cheater grey wire on thier 1100), I say let the boys stay in business by complying.

P.S.: Not to offend, but we bought into a VVS diamond type product, unless you have the money to purchase a veltro (which is a flawless diamond and would eliminate your dead spot problems), chuck it up to initial character which you can augment.
Stop crying! :cry:
YOU RIDE AN MV :yo:
(again, no offense)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts