22,071 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
That is cheap, wish I was near it!

·
Registered
329 Posts
def would make a good track bike since im scared to death to put my own mv on the track..Donsy what motor do you think that is?..I honestly dunno how to tell the difference as I have never had my motor out of the bike:stickpoke

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Has ebs but no secondary air system.Has HT leads and regular ignition coils ( ie not stick coils).So looks like a 06 1000S to me.

Since MVs in USA are normally "last years bike" then the seller's 2007 claim sounds about logical. All the F4 engines I have seen have F5 on the plate..No idea why..

joe

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Has ebs but no secondary air system.Has HT leads and regular ignition coils ( ie not stick coils).So looks like a 06 1000S to me.

Since MVs in USA are normally "last years bike" then the seller's 2007 claim sounds about logical. All the F4 engines I have seen have F5 on the plate..No idea why..

joe
I agree Joe, almost, the R came out in 06 everywhere else, I know because I have one, and I also have a 07 1000R USA motor.
Technically the 07 was a 1000R in the US.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I agree Joe, almost, the R came out in 06 everywhere else, I know because I have one, and I also have a 07 1000R USA motor.
Technically the 07 was a 1000R in the US.
Ha ! I thought I had it :) So do you think this is a 1000R or S..Apart from the dates is that equipment as per the 1000R ?

joe

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just to be clear this is not my craigslist listing. I am half tempted to make a road trip up to the bay area to pick this up.

somebody will get a great deal, thats a steal.

·
Administrator
19,852 Posts
Agreed.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi all,

New to the forum. I spoke with the seller yesterday and am going to check it out this evening. On the phone, the seller explained that the motorcycle shop listed in the ad diagnosed bent valves, a piston with a hole in it, and scoring on one cylinder wall. Sounds like they removed the air filter and must have used some kind of snake camera to get into the cylinder wall. Obviously it's cost-prohibitive to have a shop do that kind of repair work.

It also has all aftermarket carbon fiber body panels. Seller did describe them as being in fairly rough condition. If you guys were me and wanted to rebuild it to look nice and clean, would you recommend buying used plastic panels from others and repainting? Or painting over the existing CF panels? Or leaving the carbon?

·
Super Moderator
22,343 Posts
Paint the CF if it is serviceable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I ended up buying the bike and bringing it home. I tore into it this afternoon and discovered that the two screws holding the intake cam sprocket onto the intake cam had sheared off, messing up the timing.

Interesting, because I had been reading Jeroenvs's thread closely about his valve issue, and it turned out to be the same problem! I still need to remove the head to verify pistons are OK and valve guides/seats are OK. But hopefully the cost of repairs should be <$400.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
I ended up buying the bike and bringing it home. I tore into it this afternoon and discovered that the two screws holding the intake cam sprocket onto the intake cam had sheared off, messing up the timing.

Interesting, because I had been reading Jeroenvs's thread closely about his valve issue, and it turned out to be the same problem! I still need to remove the head to verify pistons are OK and valve guides/seats are OK. But hopefully the cost of repairs should be <$400.

If you should need pistons, I have a set of brand new in box pistons and ring sets which may be the correct ones for your bike, Hopefully you won't have to go that deep ! I bought them for low money so would pass that benefit on.

joe

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
congrats Andrew!! glad somebody grabbed it. hope its just a minor repair.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the offer on brand-spanking-new pistons. Fortunately the pistons and cylinders look fine!

The damage seems to be limited to two intake valves on cylinder #1. However, the sheared-off screws are also stuck in the camshaft, and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to extract them. Currently in the market for a camshaft... There's one on eBay for $144. Hope I can do better than that, or get the screw out.

Disassembly was pretty straightforward. Nearly got stuck on a cam keeper bolt, but fortunately I'd read the forums and knew the methods. In the end, it took a Snap-On (tight-fitting) hex bit, propane torch, and hammering to break it free. The bolt was about 90% stripped when it finally gave in.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts