MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
The F4 is the generic name for the current sports MV. Ferrari for the F because they helped develop the motor and 4 for 4 cylinder. The original F4 models came out in late 97 early 98 and then MV modified the bikes and added the suffix Evo II (second Evolution) in 2002? If you check the various threads on this site the precise changes have been catalogued in detail but basically the Evo models have revised engine components to produce more power. Other items like the clutch were modified too. The Evo III version is in fact very similar to the Evo II with only detail changes. Some of the other members on this site with more tech. knowledge than I have will be able to give you a better insight. Hope this helps. :) I see you have a F41000. The Evo relates to the 750 models.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John for the description and history on the designations (F4 and EVO III). I have a 06 F4 1000. So it is not a EVO III right?

Sajan

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Correct Sajan, with the exception of limited edition models like the SR and SPR. the Evo III was the last Evolution of the 750 F4, MV then concentrated on producing 1000cc versions of the F4 which is what you and I have. Sadly the 750 versions are no longer in production. If you use the search function at the top of the page and type in EVO, you will see earlier discussions on the subject.

·
Registered
151 Posts
john said:
Correct Sajan, with the exception of limited edition models like the SR and SPR. the Evo III was the last Evolution of the 750 F4, MV then concentrated on producing 1000cc versions of the F4 which is what you and I have. Sadly the 750 versions are no longer in production. If you use the search function at the top of the page and type in EVO, you will see earlier discussions on the subject.
The 750 was a great bike no doubt, but Iam so much happier with the 1000..
I have a 04 R1 that I made race prepped when I bought my 750.. and I started missing the power of the 1000 on the street, the 750 just wasnt the same.. but then I got my F41000 and now Iam very content with my street ride :)

My 750 was the EVOIII engine, it worked well and was reliable, but changing the oil was a pain with the headers having to be undone.. the 1000 THANK GOD fixed that issue!!

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I've not had my Thou long enough to make a reasoned comparison. :nerd: I too had an Evo III and thought it was a great bike. :) I know the F4 750's have a large and loyal following here so I'm not going to get involved with which I think is better just yet. :shocker:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Heh, the 750 vs 1000 debate will never end.

The SPR is my first 750 (having had 600's and literbikes previously) and I see why the debate will always rage.

The 750 really does have almost as much HP as a 1000, and is almost as flickable as a 600.

I think a small manufacturer like MV made the right move going to a 1000, but I love 750's all the same. :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
luvtolean said:
Heh, the 750 vs 1000 debate will never end.

The SPR is my first 750 (having had 600's and literbikes previously) and I see why the debate will always rage.

The 750 really does have almost as much HP as a 1000, and is almost as flickable as a 600.

I think a small manufacturer like MV made the right move going to a 1000, but I love 750's all the same. :)

Like I said I liked my 750, but honestly the 1000 is a fantastic machine, much more refined engine, feels so much smoother...

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
The 750cc motor is just a perfect compromise between weight and performance. I don't have a 750 MV to comment on but I have a 05 Suzuki 750 in the garage and prior to that a 636 ZX.
The 600 and the 750 just are mental in the twisty bits, but the 750 will blitz the 600 from corner to corner, and I suppose if you get in sooner...(simplistic point I know).

I look back at the 600 as a motor designed to build your cornering craft on, most of my riding mates at the time had 1000cc machines and if you wanted to stay remotley in sight, you had to be brave! Of course not a lot of skill in winding up a 1000 on pick up and then braking way too early again for next corner. Some think that is fast.... :laughing:

·
Registered
298 Posts
john said:
The F4 is the generic name for the current sports MV. Ferrari for the F because they helped develop the motor and 4 for 4 cylinder. The original F4 models came out in late 97 early 98 and then MV modified the bikes and added the suffix Evo II (second Evolution) in 2002? If you check the various threads on this site the precise changes have been catalogued in detail but basically the Evo models have revised engine components to produce more power. Other items like the clutch were modified too. The Evo III version is in fact very similar to the Evo II with only detail changes. Some of the other members on this site with more tech. knowledge than I have will be able to give you a better insight. Hope this helps. :) I see you have a F41000. The Evo relates to the 750 models.
Also, the EVO3 is up on power compared to the first models.
They also revised the cooling system, going from one radiator core to 2 (or sthg like that, I forget).
They squirted oil under the pistons to help in cooling...You'll note a lot of complaints on the early 750s relate to heat production...

I believe the "EVO" nomenclature only applies to the 750 models, until they revise the 1000 models. EVO = Evoluzione

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
beearch said:
Also, the EVO3 is up on power compared to the first models.
They also revised the cooling system, going from one radiator core to 2 (or sthg like that, I forget).
They squirted oil under the pistons to help in cooling...You'll note a lot of complaints on the early 750s relate to heat production...

I believe the "EVO" nomenclature only applies to the 750 models, until they revise the 1000 models. EVO = Evoluzione

Here we go again :conveyer: :laughing:

Ok this one I AM going to add to the faq already LOL. How many times has this been repeated I wonder... Some of the specifics you mention aren't addressed however; cooling issues with single rad were early 2000 model only, changed mid 2000 to include double. EVO applies to 2002 models as EVO2, 2003- models EVO3.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me re-paste the words of Andrea Goggi outlining EXACTLY the differences between the Senna, EVO2 and EVO 3.

Pay particular attention to the mention of what happened to the first "SPR", the eprom, etc

Let me first post the question that generated the response from Andrea Goggi at MV:

==============================
Here are the contents of msg 13573 from someone asking the initial question on yahoogroups:

My guess is the factory was not able to complete their work on the SPR motor for the 2002 model year and ended up just making some simple modifications to the already improved Evo2 engine. Result…the F4 Senna. More specifically, I believe MV took the redesigned Evo2 motor (which included [for all versions] new Malhe forged pistons, a Malhe cylinder block, a lighter crankshaft, a redesigned combustion chamber, different
exhaust valves and valve springs, jets for cooling the underside of
the pistons, a modified clutch hub, and a fix for the self-removing
oil filter) and made a few more changes to distinguish the Senna
from both the "vapor"-SPR and the cooking version. When the dust
settles on this issue, I think we'll find the Senna had the
following engine improvements:

1) slightly different cams (not F4S, not SPR); **FALSE

2) a different fuel injection control unit (possibly off the SPR); **FALSE

3) a different gear box; (ratios) **TRUE

4) three rear sprocket options; **TRUE

5) the SPR exhaust manifold; and **TRUE + RG3 included

6) two new e-proms unique to the Senna and matched to the Senna's cams and SPR headers (one for the stock silences and one for the included RG3 silences). **TRUE

I believe the Senna also has a different alternator and a sturdier clutch disc material to provide a stronger platform for the higher revs (13,900
rpm) allowed with the RG3 chip.
===============================

And here is Goggi's response to the questions raised:

Basically almost everything written in msg. 13573 is somewhat right, but You need to learn some history more.

In 2000 R&D was already working on the upgrade of F4 S engine, and on SPR engine; at that time they were different projects, with different engine specs.

Then, due to all the production retards caused by our financial troubles it was decided to make F4S same as the SPR of that time, calling it EV 02.

This is shortly the story of F4 EV02.

As a consequence the SPR evolution project began again starting from EV02. Differences between first series of engine and EV02 are quite precisely listed in msg. 13573 (pistons, valves, crancksshaft, etc. etc.), so I don't repeat them.

Senna engine is very similar to EV02 engine; differences are gearbox, clutch disks, Eprom (basically rev limiter from 13300 to 13900), and a special care in selecting production heads (better porting casting) in order to obtain a more restricted production tolerance in engine performance.

SPR engine (which is finally going in production right now for the first time), as a result of a further developement step, has many parts new and different than EV02, i.e. increased compression ratio, both in-ex ports, combustion chamber, 100% hand polished inlet ports, cam profiles, tappets, springs, pistons, trumpets, other than same clutch and close ratio gearbox as Senna.

F4 EV03 engine is same as EV02, only with painted pick-up, clutch and sproket covers (same color as Brutale).

I'm sorry to hear about troubles in getting the right informations, but in this moment of re-start of all our activities communication is for sure suffering; It will get better because as we always did we are working hard to make it happen.

Anyway the informations about differences between basic engine and EV02/Senna have been communicated to press in a precise way, so it is strange that so many doubts still exist.

I hope everything is more clear now.

Ciao - AG
=============================

EVO 3 talking point from the engine designer:
"F4 EV03 engine is same as EV02, only with painted pick-up, clutch and sproket covers (same color as Brutale)."

Senna talking points:
"Senna engine is very similar to EV02 engine; differences are gearbox, clutch disks, Eprom (basically rev limiter from 13300 to 13900), and a special care in selecting production heads (better porting casting) in order to obtain a more restricted production tolerance in engine performance."

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
May be this one should be a sticky thread James as this question keeps coming up. :conveyer: :conveyer:

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I think your money's safe style_one! :laughing:

·
Registered
298 Posts
style_one said:
i got $50 that it comes up again within the next 1000 posts despite faq or sticky! :laughing:
Umm...so what's the the difference between the Evos again??
:stickpoke :laughing:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts