MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
F4 oil change? I started the process wanted to know where the oil filter is located or is there even one? I cant find it! Please any help would be really appreciated. :) Oh and what is a good oil reccomendation?

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I believe the oil filter is right behind the headers. As for oil, I think Motul and Agip are highly recommended. (But on my old 750's I've been know to use Mobil One for cars - but that's not recommend since bike oil are suppose to have special additives).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you! Oh and how r those new tires on the Lotus what'd ya get? Oh and one more question whats better between Motul and Agip? Just found my manual! :conveyer:

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
MV4LA/RA said:
thank you! Oh and how r those new tires on the Lotus what'd ya get? Oh and one more question whats better between Motul and Agip? Just found my manual! :conveyer:
I went with the stock Yokohama Advan A048 but get the medium compounds. It's a night/day difference with a fresh set of tires that haven't heat cycled out.

As for oil, this is probably my ignorance speaking, but I think the differences between Motul and Agip are like the differences between Mobil and 76. The difference are probably so minor.

Does anyone know what type/size of oil filter wrench you'd need to remove the filter?

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
MV4LA/RA said:
F4 oil change? I started the process wanted to know where the oil filter is located or is there even one? I cant find it! Please any help would be really appreciated. :) Oh and what is a good oil reccomendation?
Please don't take this the wrong way but, I would suggest that if you cannot find the oil filter maybe you should be taking the bike to a dealer? the oil filter has been quite troublesome over the years and requires a little skill and a torque wrench to carry out the job 100% properly :) :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well said Mike but we've all got to start somewhere. And you are the dogs danglies on these bikes, and he could'nt have a better tutor.

·
Registered
106 Posts
mikef4uk said:
Please don't take this the wrong way but, I would suggest that if you cannot find the oil filter maybe you should be taking the bike to a dealer? the oil filter has been quite troublesome over the years and requires a little skill and a torque wrench to carry out the job 100% properly :) :)
I couldn't agree more. The possible consequence of an improperly installed filter are obvious and potentially catastrophic.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Oh that's right. I think the new oil filter...er, oil filters have a clamp that keeps them from unscrewing!

On thing I learned about doing my own work on the MV (and having to tow the bike 90 miles to the dealer because of my mistakes) is that the MV has very close tolerances and little room for error.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
Oh that's right. I think the new oil filter...er, oil filters have a clamp that keeps them from unscrewing!

On thing I learned about doing my own work on the MV (and having to tow the bike 90 miles to the dealer because of my mistakes) is that the MV has very close tolerances and little room for error.
You need a torque wrench to tighten it up with, then you fit the plastic clamp with it's stop 1mm away from part of the engine casting, early bikes used to split, and undo the oil filter resulting in a nicely oiled back tyre, this I believe stopped the rear tyre from wearing out quickly :naughty: , but was not an ideal situation :jsm: :ahhh:

Without being at all bitchy about this, if you can't even find the oil filter I think it's probably a good idea to take it to someone a little more experienced and maybe watch and learn :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts