MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got my F4, I noticed that the mirror mounts have a bit of play where the stalk meets the base. Didn't take me long to realize that if you wedged something in there to cause the mirrors to tip up and outward that it improved the rear view. A trip to Lowe's yielded an 1/8 inch-thick rubber washer. I cut two small pie shaped wedges, then inserted them into the gap on the inside corners of each mirror. The results are a significantly improved ability to see to the sides and rear. I can actually see other vehicles behind me now. Amazing!!! :D The pieces are not glued, so if I had to remove them it only takes a few seconds. I think there is enough friction there to keep them in place without adhesive.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Great idea! have you experienced any indicator failure as the electrical conection is made by a a group of conectors that are easily mis aligned....just a thought!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Seriously, I was going to take the mirrors apart this winter and see if I could mess with the internal mirror adjustment assemblies. They really only need a few more degrees of movement to be halfway useful. Has anyone ever tried this?

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
Although I believe you have a very creative and functional solution...It is already too late for me. The chrome does add a nice highlight, however...

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lewdog998 said:
Ok mr smart guy...then how will I be able to keep an eye on my elbows?
That's the beauty of this, it only changes the angle enough so you can see a bit past your elbows. You can still see most of your elbow, it just doesn't fill the view anymore. :laughing:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
agusta01 said:
Great idea! have you experienced any indicator failure as the electrical conection is made by a a group of conectors that are easily mis aligned....just a thought!
Not a problem since there are wires running through this junction, not contacts. The contacts are only where the nose fairing meets the frame. Initially I wanted to take the mirrors off completely to try and fabricate a tapered base gasket, but I got lazy. I didn't feel like spending that much time. It was too nice a day outside and I wanted to test out the theory. It works. I'm satisfied. Life is good. :smoking:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
psperl said:
Seriously, I was going to take the mirrors apart this winter and see if I could mess with the internal mirror adjustment assemblies. They really only need a few more degrees of movement to be halfway useful. Has anyone ever tried this?
Take pictures and post the results. I was thinking about disassembling them too but this was a quick & dirty approach.

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
agusta01 said:
twoeleven...what wax do you use...thats an amazing shine! Looks fantastic..
Sorry to step off-topic falco, I am going to try your fix BTW, as I have long arms!!!

This is seriously like the 10th inquiry into my shiny bikes! After trying just about every expensive wax out there, I followed a car collectors tip, and I use a Turtle Wax product called "Platinum Series - Ultra Gloss Liquid Wax". Green bottle with a Silver MBZ on the label, silver cap. If you can't find that (I went to Pep Boys, I think), Try "Mother's California Gold, Original Formula, Carnuba Cleaner Wax", in the red bottle, it is a close second, IMO.

My process:

1. Clean and dry thouroughly, work in the garage or shade
2. Apply thin, even layer in circles using light pressure with a damp wax sponge (included)
3. Let dry on surface to haze, 10-15 min.
4. Polish using many clean, old undershirts, 2-3 for each waxing (100% cotton), circular motions, medium pressure.
5. Avoid the temptation to use a towel, leads to surface scratdhes in the wax,
6. Open a cold beer, sit near bike, enjoy beer. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

Lets see your results!

Griff
twoeleven

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Yes sorry for going off the great thread, but that shine is amazing!
Mate, isn't step 6 what bike ownership is all about!

Cheers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts