MV Agusta Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I haven't finished assembling my f4 yet beyond the initial test fit. From what I can tell, if you're using all of the older bits with the newer swing arm, it should all fit together. The adjuster on the later bikes is a bit wider as it has real rod ends in it. If you use the old adjuster you will need to add a spacer to take up the extra width on the swingarm side. I'm hoping that the brutale adjuster is shorter than the later f4 rod so that I can use it instead. Any shock that fits the 99-09 setup will fit with the new swingarm. Until I measure I can't be sure, but my theory is that the late model brutale is essentially the late model swingarm with the early geometry, where as the later f4 has a tweaked geometry. Another piece of the puzzle is that the early mag frame plates have two holes for the pivot mount, the standard only have one but there is space in the recess for a second. Once I have my bike reassembled I will measure it all out, but I think you should be ok using whatever shock you already have.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Thanks Al

I picked up a swingarm and hub from a 2013 F4R, and will be following Noel and Al's lead to put it on, I will let you know how I make out. It seemed like a no brainer for a first gen track bike upgrade. I happily let the mg hub I had go to R1andrew's phoenix, with the funds going evenly into the 2nd gen swinger and hub. It is certainly longer and noticeably lighter, so for the cost, I am very happy.

Comparing the first and second gen hubs in hand, they finally got it right. Shouldn't have taken 10 years though.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,600 Posts

Ian

Did you get the updated 2010+ rear axle shaft with its spacer with the new swinging deal ?

I did not John, it was an upcoming question for me. A test fit the old axle last night into the hub and it seem to fit. Do I have to get a new second-generation axle etc. as well?

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
I did not John, it was an upcoming question for me. A test fit the old axle last night into the hub and it seem to fit. Do I have to get a new second-generation axle etc. as well?
Yup, axle and sprocket end spacer.
Have a look at the parts list layout, you'll see it there.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Can I still run the Brembo super lights with that setup?
Yeah, it's got nothing to do with the wheels, all MV rear wheels share the same fitment method mate.
It's the sprocket side where things change.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Good point Phil. Can I reuse my rear chain ring?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I haven't upgrade the longer swingarm, but Noel told me last year when we had lunch together, you might want to ask him how many more linkage to add on your old chain

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Good point Phil. Can I reuse my rear chain ring?
Are you sticking with 525 chain or converting to 520. You'll need to get a full 120 or 118 link chain and cut to suit your sprocket sizing. Rivet link.

·
Registered
14,736 Posts
?

I have a 2010 long swingarm on my F4......thanks to Joe

I'm using a Mitch Hub (#2) and 1st gen axle, spacer and sprocket carrier

if you use a 2nd gen hub you MUST use a 2nd gen axle, to support the inner needle

bearing.......

:popcorn:

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Are you sticking with 525 chain or converting to 520. You'll need to get a full 120 or 118 link chain and cut to suit your sprocket sizing. Rivet link.
Might as well go 520 with new sprockets front and back.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
If you use the old adjuster you will need to add a spacer to take up the extra width on the swingarm side.
So I test fit everything, and it is as you say Al, you'll need a spacer between the two sides of the adjuster at the swingarm, easy enough to come by though. Curious if the newer gen adjuster fits perfect into the older gen suspension rocker arm. It may be that might be worth upgrading that too.... The old vs new swingers are noticeably different in weight... just on the arm scale alone.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
The newer rocker on the f4 has a different pivot point and won't work with the older shock. The adjuster is also a different length as a result. I think that the later brutale stuff might have the same geometry as the older setup, but I haven't verified the specs on the pivot or adjuster. I know the frame plates and shock are more similar to the older f4 than the newer. The 2010+ brutale rocker and adjuster is my best guess for a bolt on setup.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Thanks Al

I picked up a swingarm and hub from a 2013 F4R, and will be following Noel and Al's lead to put it on, I will let you know how I make out. It seemed like a no brainer for a first gen track bike upgrade. I happily let the mg hub I had go to R1andrew's phoenix, with the funds going evenly into the 2nd gen swinger and hub. It is certainly longer and noticeably lighter, so for the cost, I am very happy.

Comparing the first and second gen hubs in hand, they finally got it right. Shouldn't have taken 10 years though.
Guys, please confirm if a 2013 F4R swing arm and rear hub is fully compatible with my F4 312R or B4 910R, both with TTX?
If so, do i also have to get the new rear wheel axle shaft or is the old one ok?
And what about the axle that bolts the swing arm to the frame? Can the old one be used or do i need the new one?
Thanks in advance :smoking:

·
Registered
14,736 Posts
?

Guys, please confirm if a 2013 F4R swing arm and rear hub is fully compatible with my F4 312R or B4 910R, both with TTX?
If so, do i also have to get the new rear wheel axle shaft or is the old one ok?
And what about the axle that bolts the swing arm to the frame? Can the old one be used or do i need the new one?
Thanks in advance :smoking:
To use 2013 hub you need the later axle too, pivot bolt is the same for both

I'd use the early cush drives they are lighter and don't have rubber failures :wink2:

Someone else will need to comment on TTX compatibility I have no idea

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
To use 2013 hub you need the later axle too, pivot bolt is the same for both

I'd use the early cush drives they are lighter and don't have rubber failures :wink2:

Someone else will need to comment on TTX compatibility I have no idea
Thanks Noel :smoking:
I was set to buy a 2013 swing arm and hub, but i think i'll hold on since the F4 has been sitting for some years now and i only ride B4 every now and then :rolleyes:

21 - 40 of 40 Posts