MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Read this article, thought id share it with you all:stickpoke

I respect Gordon Murray for the Mclaren F1 but what is he on about saying "it was aggravating to ride"

Why are they comparing the 916 to the F4 750 when clearly the 916 has a bigger capacity engine:jerkoff:

http://www.fasterandfaster.net/2009/01/gordon-murray-mv-agusta-f4-is-so-slow.html

Al
Rev it Gordon !!! it's not a twin.
Go and buy a 1078RR if you want speed........get THE design and THE speed.
IMO 916 is slow too.

From all my experiences, The speed of a F4-750 is somewhere between a 748R and 996....closer to 996.

·
Registered
156 Posts
the first 750 only made about 110bhp @the rear wheel and weighed about 215kg wet so he's got a point it wasn't the fastest thing on two wheels 916sp how loads more grunt

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
the only reason they compare the 750 to the 916 cause the 750 would have taken out a 748 :jerkoff:

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Rev it Gordon !!! it's not a twin.
Go and buy a 1078RR if you want speed........get THE design and THE speed.
IMO 916 is slow too.

From all my experiences, The speed of a F4-750 is somewhere between a 748R and 996....closer to 996.
Yep, I have 'duelled' with one of each and I would agree with that:)

Early 750 was a little under powered compared to Jap stuff at the time of it's launch (2000ish) BUT the 750 evo 3 motor with RG3/etc was more than a match for most 750's

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Takes out a 748R quite easily too.
Wonder if Gordon has ridden a F4-1000 of any description yet ?
he'd come out with the same crap as all the mags Pete, heavy, low power, old design, bla bla bla, YET, was it last year Fast bikes timed the 312R as the fastest bike around the Norschliefe??

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Not everyone reveres the MV like we do. I know so many people who think prefer the looks of my brother's race prepped ninja over my MV for example. Different strokes for different folks! Its all good :)

·
Registered
293 Posts
If MV had gone to WSBK, the 750 F4 would have raced against the 916/996... That's one reason to compare 750 F4 to the 916. The second one is the price...
A 1000 F4 should be compared to the 1198 not a 916.
In my opinion they are only 2 interesting 750 F4 (to ride): SPR and SR, the only ones with a powerful engine.
As he says, he should have kept his MV to hang it on the wall, because it's the most beautiful bike ;-)

111 Posts
In my opinion they are only 2 interesting 750 F4 (to ride): SPR and SR, the only ones with a powerful engine.
As he says, he should have kept his MV to hang it on the wall, because it's the most beautiful bike ;-)
on a long twisty road the F4 750 whether it be a 2000 or 2003 EV03 will keep up with the big boys and depending how good the rider is on a 1000cc the 750 will be up front.

the 750 is a pleasure to ride at high revs and a good rider on the road with a 750 will as I say keep up with the big boys. Track may be a different story but again down to the rider.

Remember we are talking about bikes of a decade ago which okay I agree are slower than todays F4 but weigh it up with the quality of parts of todays F4!

So the 750 F4 is slow? who here today rides there new F4 1000 to the limit on the road?

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
on a long twisty road the F4 750 whether it be a 2000 or 2003 EV03 will keep up with the big boys and depending how good the rider is on a 1000cc the 750 will be up front.

the 750 is a pleasure to ride at high revs and a good rider on the road with a 750 will as I say keep up with the big boys. Track may be a different story but again down to the rider.

Remember we are talking about bikes of a decade ago which okay I agree are slower than todays F4 but weigh it up with the quality of parts of todays F4!

So the 750 F4 is slow? who here today rides there new F4 1000 to the limit on the road?
Exactly, these bikes are supposed to rev. And there are not many roads in my part of the world where I can use all of my bike, and maybe my ability isn't what i think it is....

·
Registered
378 Posts
he just lost an occasion to shut up!

·
Registered
986 Posts
my f4 pushes out 127 spanking horses, more than enough to be a dead match with my mates 996. like comparing a diesel to a petrol though, completely different at getting the power down

·
Registered
776 Posts
I've never had any problem with 916/996/998/1098 Ducatis ever twisties or str8s and i own both the 1098s and the F4 so nah sorry Mr Murry maybe that bike was just to much for you. some one was a little bit scared to twist the throttle. :f4:

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
sorry Mr Murry maybe that bike was just to much for you. some one was a little bit scared to twist the throttle. :f4:
+1, if it doesn't have enough power under 9000rpm then the simple solution is to keep it above 9000rpm. isn't that why they have a gear box?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have the MV and a 998 (last generation of the original 916) and let me tell you, its like comparing apples and donkeys... They are no where NEAR the same bike. The big V-twin is both easier to ride and quicker to jump up and bite you in the ass I think. That big twin makes it easier to be a gear higher in the turns and power out where the MV (as with most inline 4's) proper gear selection and being in the power band is VERY important. But the MV is BY FAR the faster bike to ride.
I traded in a fully race prepped GSXR 1000 I was riding on the street (we are talking , ohlins, brembo, GMD computrak set up, tons of engine mods, etc) and the day I traded it in for the MV I took it up around the mountains of cali and the MV was SO much easier to ride faster than the GSXR. I had to yell at myself a bunch of times to slow it down because I was on public roads and didnt have full leathers on. For putting around town I like the Duc better, better engine for cruising, more comfortable. But for tearing around the mountain roads or for that exotic feeling its the MV all the way, now if the MV only came with the dry clutch with that sound, I would be in heaven...

You cant really compare the MV and Duc, two compleatly seperate bikes and engines and how the ride/put power to the ground.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
If MV had gone to WSBK, the 750 F4 would have raced against the 916/996... That's one reason to compare 750 F4 to the 916. The second one is the price...
A 1000 F4 should be compared to the 1198 not a 916.
SPR would spank a 916, you should know that owning one.

Price wise:
I bought my 750 for $1500 cheaper than a equivilant 748R at the time {2001}, which it outperforms rather easily.

A had a deposit on the Duke, but after riding the F4-750 for 10 minutes, I had a deposit on that instead. Yes the power was slightly better, but the front end and turn in was insane, I was addicted immediately.

My F4-1000 was purchased in 2004. 1198 didnt even exist then :)
you can't compare them
Maybe the 1078RR is the 1198 equivalent.

By the way, you can buy 2 early secondhand F4 1000's in Australia for the same price as a1198s on the road.

Is the 1198 twice as good ? Don't think so.
You can twist these scenarios into any favor you like, we all do it:)

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Yep, I have 'duelled' with one of each and I would agree with that:)

Early 750 was a little under powered compared to Jap stuff at the time of it's launch (2000ish) BUT the 750 evo 3 motor with RG3/etc was more than a match for most 750's
Spot on Mike !
I loved how the English mags use to say that the F4 750 "didnt feel as quick" the latest 600's of the time. None of them went out and proved it though .

The opposite was proven to me time and time again, on Gardner Straight at Phillip Island. 2002 600cc a match my ass.

Yes, the early 750's were underpowered, but they handled so well, and many exaggerated how slow they actually were, expect the guys who punted them hard, they knew.

Sidenote:
Hats off to the Fast Bikes guys {2002 video from memory, when Colin Schiller use to run the mag properly} who had the balls to put a stock Evo 2 F4 750 directly up against a new Ducati 748R and dispel a few myths. The MV obliterated it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts