MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - so last saturday it was 50 degrees, decided to take the girl out for a january ride. Chilly, but great to be back on two wheels.

After about 2 hours of riding i get back to town and smell a whiff of that radiator fluid smell, dont think much of it (no such smell after the first hour). A bit later I notice a bit of steam rising from below. I get off and notice a bit of green MV lifeblood dripping on the pavement. So I high-tail it home ASAP and miraculously hit all green lights.

I get to the bikes "home" (not mine, I live in manhattan) and remove left faring, and it seems that one of the hoses is leaking. But that turns out NOT to be a hose, but rather, a teeny tiny "leak" (spritz) eminating from the upper radiator, as if a pin hole was made and coolant forced out under pressure. With bike running and flashlight, I confirmed this is in fact the cause of the leak (towards the top of the radiator). The lost coolant was maybe a cup, and the resevoir was still adequately filled (i.e., the bike was not out of coolant).

Does anyone have any thoughts on this (cause, etc.)? Should such a thing be covered under warranty (I am still within my 2 years - 2006 F4S purchased in January 07).

This is a bit distressing and I think I need at least a new upper radiator, I dont want to try any of those radiator "sealer" fluids.

Oh, during my investigation, I noticed that the pipes coming from engine block (visible without faring on) are visibly red hot in the dark. I assume this is normal (?).

I should add that if you recall some of my past posts, my bike runs hot, and I mean REALLY hot (moreso than the average F4 overheating stories). I wonder if i've had a bad radiator from the getgo?

Any any all commentary appreciate- you guys are all a lot more mechanically inclined than I am! Hope you all enjoyed your holidays.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
If it is not a hole from road debris, and you have done nothing to void the warranty, I would say it should be covered. If they do replace it, tell them you want the old one back. You can always sell it to some one like me.

CAG

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
i had the same problem wit mine actually. the tiniest hole - as u said a pin prick. i never bothered with a new rad just got this one repaired - it meant losing one cell of the rad so it runs about 8 deg hotter but otherwise its fine. dont suppose u want yours to run hotter though.

as for your exhausts glowing - that doesnt seem right. if they are that hot when you get off and look at them - the would be a good 50% hotter if your were thrashing it. cant be good.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My first post in months but that's another story and NO!, I wasn't banned!

There have been a few posts regarding split radiators, but I can't remember anyone posting a pic so here's mine - its taken from the rear left-hand side, as seated. The split is on the top water passage directly below the left hand side of the mounting bracket.

My original split in exactly the same place, but it had done a fair few tens of thousands of miles and was well out of warranty so I had to get this one out of my hard-earned. You can see that it was still virtually brand new when it cried "enough!", but it was the riding season so I managed to fix it with my favourite epoxy/carbon/kevlar concoction rather than faff around arguing/waiting for a warranty deal.

I agree with the comment in the other thread - there is just too much weight hanging off the two upper mounting brackets - you can see how the fins have been distorted by vibration and/or movement.

So, another "design fault" of our beloved Agustas which has been allowed to remain unresolved!

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
extending the bracket horizontally along the top of the rad would spread the weight more evenly, especially if you went both ways and gusseted it

·
Registered
123 Posts
Agree, spannershy - that would be a quick and easy fix you would imagine.

Add up two radaiators, two fans, couple of litres of water. That's a lot of weight.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same problem. Just when I purchase my 2007 f4 2 months ago, I had a water cool liquid under the faring.Ta the dealer ship said, that is normal you have to much liquid from the factory.
I started to have over heat problems in traffic 234F and flashing.Next day a stop the the dealer and ask to solved the problem. I told me to change the liquid for one different. Now I do not had any over heat problem, but the lick stay the same. Every morning in my garage under the bike I had a huge quantity of water cool liquid.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Mine split in exactly the ame spot - top left....waited 5 weeks for new rad and when it arrived it was damaged....next one arrived in a few days so I guess the importer restocked with plenty of rads in preparation!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts