MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bet that's got your attention! :stickpoke

Well it's sort of true, it happened like this:

Yesterday I went out on the bike after it had been sat in the garage for about 2/3 weeks and although I only went for about 50 miles, I was concerned that the front end seemed to be dropping into corners quite dramatically and at speed, I developed a bit of a weave when cranked over. This has never happened before on either of my MV's. When I got home I was pre occupied with other matters and the bike got shoved in the garage without further investigation into the 'fault'.

So anyway, today I had been quite busy with other things once again, when Ian (Devilboy) texts me to say he will be at Squires at about 4pm this afternoon. After finishing my 'chores' it was past 3pm when I managed to pull on my leathers and get the bike out ready to ride over there (only about 20 miles from my house). I decided to go the 'long' way round and take in some twisties to see if the bike was any better or worse than the day before. I also screwed the steering damper down hard and after warming up the tyres, I started throwing it around a bit. Bloody hell it was bad, the dropping into corners had got much worse and the weaving too was bad especially braking into corners when the pressure was highest on the front end.

Pulling into the car park at Squires I couldn't see Ian so I parked up in front of a couple of bikers who seemed fascinated with the front end of my bike. As I pulled off my helmet one of them came over and said 'Your front tyre looks rather flat mate!'

I gave it a squeeze and it was true, if there was more than 5 or 10 psi in the front hoop that would be it!! :jsm:

Many thanks to the young lady who took pity on me and leant me a foot pump so I re inflated the tyre which didn't appear damaged and after a very nice hour or two talking to Ian and Barry (Barry996suzuki) who turned up on his immaculate 750 Evo III and also another friend John who has a very tidy 748S Ducati, I headed for home again on my bike. Being rather apprehensive after my stupidity in not checking the tyre pressures before I'd set off from home, I took it easy for the first few miles and slowly build up speed as my confidence returned. What a difference, my bike was back to normal and I enjoyed pushing it around as the mileage increased until I was turning into my driveway thinking what a prat I had been.

Moral of the story: check those tyre pressures before every ride, a simple precaution I used to do without fail but recently I've been getting complacent with a few things which could have cost me dear. I was lucky, make sure you aren't as stupid as me.

Ride safe everyone.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
nicensleazy said:
John, do you need to go to spec savers????
No, he needs to go to Halfords and buy a foot pump :) :jerkoff: :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
You're a good Joe for sharing your story! No shame in going soggy if it's a lesson learned & not to be forgotten. We've all done it one way or other:) Cheers!!!

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Getting lazy in your old there John :stickpoke :naughty: Interesting to see it managed to get through the twisties with so little pressure.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I was two sentences in and already thinking "tire pressures." I had a bad stretch where I got five punctures in one year, after having gone for years without any. Once you've experienced it, the feeling is fairly distinctive.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
John... :laughing: In a few minutes i'm going to take the MV for a ride, that reminds me :later:

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
lizzardo said:
I was two sentences in and already thinking "tire pressures." I had a bad stretch where I got five punctures in one year, after having gone for years without any. Once you've experienced it, the feeling is fairly distinctive.
I'll agree with that, these days I can pick up even a couple of PSI within about 25 metres of home, but there again I can say with some honesty I check them before every ride, its amazing how much they can go up and down from day to day depending on the ambient temp

·
Registered
523 Posts
Low pressure in the rear tyre can affect the steering too. When my Ducati oversteers badly in the twisties, it's nearly always the rear pressure which is down.

A recent £600 fork/shock 'all bells and whistles' rebuild by Maxton, and it's still something as basic as getting the right pressure into its tyres which has the greater influence on its handling..! :laughing:

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well both tyres have stayed 'up' overnight so it doesn't look like a puncture was the problem. I checked both valves too with the good old spit test and they seem OK. That leaves the probability that air has just escaped around the rim during the two weeks of inactivity. Whatever the cause, I will be taking a lot more care with tyre pressures in future. :blush:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
105mph round a bend with about 5psi in front tyre is very impressive tho!!!!!! is this a testament to johns awesome riding abilities or that the mv is just THAT good!!! anyway we got quite a bit of attention at the cafe 3 mvs n a ducati!!! well have to make it an italian corner!!!!! glad everythings ok tho john, ill get the coffees next time!!!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
hehe, I had the same thing with my bike when I first rode it, I got my license and was driving my bike home, and basicaly was scared to death 300km... when I got home a friend of mine drove it and told me... after that, absolutley fantastic! so now I check the preassure every ride..
lesson learned.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Glad nothing happened to you, John. I'm guilty of not checking before every ride as well, but I think after your story I'll be a little more diligent.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
John,

You deserve a :jerkoff: ...shame on you. Consequences could have been worse.

Each ride is a mission guys; treat as such.

Peter

·
Registered
422 Posts
John,

Very glad to see you here typing your story..... :) Could have been worse

·
Registered
228 Posts
Will someone start a new thread on pressure gauges, and foot pumps?

Thanks though John it is a usefull heads up, my bikes have been pretty idle the last few weeks due to intensive holidaying, persuing my other interests. Maybe I should go to Halfords.........

1 - 20 of 29 Posts