MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if it is possible to remove gas tank cap ( OEM key lock assembly) without a key just by simply removing the bolts ??? (It is locked and key is lost ) We have removed the bolts but it won't come off.

·
Administrator
20,411 Posts
You will have to take out the fuel pump and go up from the underside to depress the locking tabs that keep the cap closed (and I am not even sure you can get to them that way ...never tried).....or take it to a lock smith and have him pick it, or "wiggle" a key.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Try and take of the tank, empty it ;) take out the fuel pump and then

take a small screw-driver and try to loosen two small golden bolts. By doing that, you'll actually take the lock apart.

I think that you will be able to take the metal tooth (the one that locks the cap) away from the assembly.

Problem solved.

I pretty shore this will work, hope I helped

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks gentlemen however , that is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. (fuel pump removal)

·
Registered
135 Posts
The only remaining option I think would be an angle grinder or a blow torch :naughty:

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Me personally, Id go talk to a locksmith and see what suggestions they make. It's a trade all on it's own so worthwhile talking to the man ..

joe

·
Registered
819 Posts
Not sure if you fixed it yet, but Joe has the right idea. Chances are the locksmith will be happy to pop the lock for you in a jiffy. Over the years have run into issues such as this on various bikes and every locksmith i've gone to happily picked the lock for free. This is a good time to have them make a key for ya. Should only cost a few coins.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Removing a fuel pump will not solve the problem as there is a 6 mm screw that holds the assembly to the tank under the lock cap and this can not be removed from down below so Locksmith is the best solution for those who encounter this problem. Thanks gentlemen to all who responded.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts