MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've gotten hold of an older set of headers from an F4, to use instead of the restrictive system with the catalytic converter on my 2009 F4.

The old system doesn't have a screw hole in it (near the rear header mount under the brake master), so what do I do with the gas sensor?

If I wrap it in tape and secure it to the engine (but not unplug it) what will happen? It won't be part of the exhaust system.

If I just unplug it from the loom completely and remove it from the bike what will happen?

What is the sensor for?

This is a race bike, so noise and emissions are not an issue. High RPM performance is.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, unplugging the O2 sensor, or not using it will cause all sorts of problems with the ECU. I would weld a sensor bung on your midpipe and keep the sensor.

·
Registered
14,204 Posts
choices?

Ducati888;
you have 3 choices;
weld an M18x1.5 bung in like Carl said and use the 02 sensor
get the "Kit ECU" it doesn't use the 02 sensor
or get a MicroTec from Chris it doesn't use the 02 sensor either

PS;
talk to Chris

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys.

My brother has a 2005 F4 1000 race bike, with a full race system on it, which does not have provision for the sensor. His loom has the plug for it, but the bike does not have a sensor on it. He tells me his bike never had the sensor on it from when he got it as a crashed road bike.

It's run very well with no problems since he fitted the full system. Did the 2005 model have the sensor as well? Rob has run his bike for the last two years with a standard ECU, and no O2 sensor, and his bike is dynamite.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, thanks CAG. Next stupid question from me - I am not running the 2009 ECU that came on my bike because it was a Japanese one with an 8000rpm rev limit. I am now running an earlier model ECU from 04 or 05. Does that mean that it won't be reading the O2 sensor anyway, or does it somehow make the O2 sensor redundant?

Thanks again for your fantastic help.

·
Registered
14,204 Posts
?????

Ducati888;
your '09 uses a 5SM ECU with 2 plugs
your brothers '05 has a 1.6M ECU with 1 plug....his harness has NO plug for an 02 sensor....his harness is totally different than your's

go back and look at my last post.....
those are your choices

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, sorry theknurl, that's not right. I am using an ECU that my brother had originally run on his bike. I can assure you that is is the 5SM ECU with two plugs. His harness does have the plug for the sensor, but his bike is not running the sensor.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
I'll give you a ring Rich.
Your brother - Rob's - bike is the same as mine MY06 1000R, no sensor, in 07 Euro 3 they started using the sensor.

I'm a bit worried about you running his ECU as I think your 1078 has different injectors etc, it migh run, but it might run very crappy.

I have an ECU same as Rob's and a Powercommander you can borrow to see if it works, you can then decide what you'd like to do. ( I have not used it for a while so don't need it)

·
Registered
14,204 Posts
junkyard dog?

No, sorry theknurl, that's not right. I am using an ECU that my brother had originally run on his bike. I can assure you that is is the 5SM ECU with two plugs. His harness does have the plug for the sensor, but his bike is not running the sensor.
OK;
he changed the the harness, the ECU, and the coils off a later bike

on to his '05-6

POST a picture of the tag on HIS ECU, showing the part number

you want me to analyze a parts bike from half way around the world?
give me a break.....he has a junkyard dog.....i have no clue what he has done or what is on his bike

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
theknurl, mate, I appreciate your time and input with my query and helping with this thread, however the facts are the facts. My brothers bike is not a "junkyard dog", it's a standard OEM Aussie delivery '06 F41000. No change of loom, no change of computer. It is running a full race exhaust and is not running the O2 sensor. As Donsy said above, it's the same as his '06 F4. No other mods apart from suspension. It is an '06 though, not an '05 as I stated earlier.

I have a 2009 1078 that is running the stock ECU from the '06 F4. Therefore, apart from what Donsy said above regarding different injectors etc, if my brother has had no trouble running without the O2 sensor, will I get the same result?

You said earlier that removing the O2 sensor would 'cause all sorts of problems with the ECU' - could you please elaborate on what that means and what I could expect to see?

Donsy - to answer your query - it runs perfectly with the older ECU. I rode it at Broadford last Friday for a race test and practice day, I did 7 20 minute sessions, and it pulled hard from idle in all gears right through peak power and to the over rev, and didn't miss a beat all day. It didn't get hot, in fact it's about as close to perfect as I had hoped it to be. It has a bit of a flat spot at one corner where you come out slow in 3rd gear, but that's all, and it would be solved with a 1 tooth bigger rear sprocket (or I just hold a bit more corner speed).

I sort of hoped that the straight through headers without a cat may help with that as well.

It ran at least as good times as I had ever done previously on my well set up 998, and that was on a test day, where I was fiddling with suspension all day and running on old tyres.

I am of course open to further discussion, because I want the bike to be at its best.

Donsy I look forward to your call.

·
Super Moderator
21,411 Posts
Well, FWIW, my '08 F4 312R has been running just fine with the O2 sensor unplugged for the last two years. When I had the ECU mapped, the sensor was left unplugged on purpose and the bike has been fine. Just to verify that it is not an adlepated memory, I will check later today.

·
Administrator
18,824 Posts
Don't forget...USA bikes are, or used to be, 1 year behind the rest of the world. Their 2007 is USA 2008.

As Donsy said, the o2 sensor came along with the Euro3 specs. 5SM was used on a couple of models prior to Euro3 without an o2 sensor.

Ducati888, since you are using your brothers old ECU (I think that is what you said) it would not need o2 sensor. Euro3 bikes will throw a fault code and fall back to a fail safe fuel map if the o2 sensor is not functional.....unless the ECU has been reflashed to eliminate that input.

PowerCommander had a big problem with the 5SM system on Ducatis and MVs when Euro3 started because the ECU would counter any fueling changes made at lower rpm and throttle opening.

Sounds like you are running fine without the o2 sensor (non-Euro3 ECU). So don't worry about it anymore.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Sorry to hijack your thread Rich, but I have a question regarding the O2 sensor on my bike.

With the Microtec on my 08 312R, should I unplug the 02 sensor? It's running an arrows decat midpipe which had a socket welded on for the sensor with the previous ecu.

·
Administrator
18,824 Posts
If it is there and plugged in leave it alone. It isn't doing anything and you won't have to find a way to protect the open plug you would leave dangling or the hole in the pipe.

·
Registered
151 Posts
OK;
he changed the the harness, the ECU, and the coils off a later bike

on to his '05-6

POST a picture of the tag on HIS ECU, showing the part number

you want me to analyze a parts bike from half way around the world?
give me a break.....he has a junkyard dog.....i have no clue what he has done or what is on his bike
A "parts bike" and a "junkyard dog".
The same bike that came second in a major road-race series here in 2012 (Behind an ex-World Superbike rider).

Thanks for insulting me yet again Noel. And I wasn't even here!
Well done.

Although I DO appreciate not having to wade through paragraph after paragraph of your
escapades at some obscure Estonian endurance race from the 1950's.

So, thanks for that.

·
Registered
14,204 Posts
Red Enough;

go back and look a what the OP said the bike was
1st it was an '05 now an '06
and he was running an '04-'05 ECU

kind of hard to know what it was don't you think?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts