MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am considering fitting the Arrow decat pipe on the F4 2005/06 model it will be used with standard headers and rear silencer is it just plug and play or will power commander or remap be required ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
"Decating" will increase gaz speed so air/fuel ratio.
You'de need to check throttle boddies balance and set CO. Not very difficult.
Decating is the best mod for this engine. Do not hesitate.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
@AgustaRod, do the pipe swap first and then see how it runs, you might not need anything else, lots of variation in the maps form those days, you might be lucky.
@jejemg, why would you need throttle bodies balanced when swapping out the midpipe, the two has nothing to do with each other ?

·
Registered
49 Posts
You're right, there's nothing to do between decat and balancing.
But, when I decated my OEM midpipe, I needed to balance TB, even if it was OK before. And I still don't understand why!!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@AgustaRod, do the pipe swap first and then see how it runs, you might not need anything else, lots of variation in the maps form those days, you might be lucky.
@jejemg, why would you need throttle bodies balanced when swapping out the midpipe, the two has nothing to do with each other ?
Ok the situation I have at the minute is I have obtained a standard mid pipe with cat fitted my welder pal is going to open it up remove cat and re-weld (tig). I shall fit it but no mods will be made to any other part of the system.

I have heard that it can cause popping and flames on the overrun and stain/burn the rear cowl.

Has anuone had this experience de-catting the standard mid pipe rather than buying an after market type ie the Arrow de-cat pipe.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I removed the cat core on my 2007 F4 and it was a bit of a chore. The cat is a double-wall construction with insulation between the outer and inner stainless tubes. You'll have to make two cuts to access the core material, which is very dense. The core is sort of like a very tightly woven metal mesh with the catalyst coating the surface. It won't just crack apart like some cats. But, with some patience you can do it and you'll save some cash in the process. Just be sure to make your cuts big enough to access the core the first time around or else you'll have to cut and fit new cover plates.

Eric

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I removed the cat core on my 2007 F4 and it was a bit of a chore. The cat is a double-wall construction with insulation between the outer and inner stainless tubes. You'll have to make two cuts to access the core material, which is very dense. The core is sort of like a very tightly woven metal mesh with the catalyst coating the surface. It won't just crack apart like some cats. But, with some patience you can do it and you'll save some cash in the process. Just be sure to make your cuts big enough to access the core the first time around or else you'll have to cut and fit new cover plates.

Eric
I have just had it done by my welder pal did you have running issues afterwards? I am using stock silencers just no cat.

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hi

I fitted a decat mid pipe to my 2005 1000S. Headers and silencers were stock but it had an MWR air filter. It ran fine without anything else done and seemed to run a little cooler.

Subsequently I fitted a chip I got from Adam (Merc07). This did improve the running, particularly at low revs but this was probably down to the ignition map, and was well worth doing. It was a little more economical, fuel consumption improved by about 5%. This about five years ago now, Adam's work seems much more advanced now particularly in relation to the EBS, however I sold the bike shortly after fitting the chip and bought a 2013.

Tony

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That what I was hoping to hear I have been in touch with Adam and if I core the silencers I will be getting an eprom chip from him.
Can you recall if the tickover increased after the decat pipe was fitted .

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So what did I tell you Rod ?

Absolutely right Donsy ran with no issues a i balanced throttle bodies and got a 1150rpm tickover was originally 1400rpm.

Thanks for the info.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
?

It only takes one cut to decat the pipe....
don't forget to put 2 witness marks on the backside, then with a 3/8" drill, drill all the way around
the outside of the core, finish with a carbide burr
wear a respirator and gloves
weld it back together
Have a beer!

:grin2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts