MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I've just sold my Evo III 750 and am awaiting Spring to arrive here in the UK to take delivery of a new F4 1000. I've read most of the magazine test reports and what have you regarding the superior performance of the 1000 or Mille or F5, whatever you wish to call the larger capacity bike. The $64,000 question is of course, have I wasted my money or have I grabbed a slice of legend? I know it would be hard for anyone to admit if they genuinely thought the bigger machine wasn't that much better and all the reports seem to indicate that it is indeed a far superior package to the 750. I'm not Valentino Rossi however, although I've been riding road bikes over 30 years now and did a fair bit of production class racing in my 20's (that's my 20's, not the 1920's by the way!).

If you have upgraded from the 750 to the Thou, I would be grateful to know what you think either way. Thanks for being candid,

john

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Hi John, never ridden the 1000 but use my 750 F4 on trackdays most of the time, not sure I would need the extra performance on the road.... however on track maybe different :)

Chill and enjoy the lifestyle that is MV ownership :)

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I haven't "upgraded" but I've ridden a Tamburini and a 1000 on my normal local twisty roads. The 1000 a few times now including yesterday. The power and torque are amazing.

I don't prefer the ergonomics over my 750 which is admittedly extreme stock and then again by my ride height increase and rearset settings higher and farther back than stock. I didn't feel like I had the leverage to corner as well and it was harder to get over on the 120/70, 190 rear and .5 deg of rake. Maybe I needed more distance to get used to it?

So if I could have the engine in my chassis I'd be :toothless

I like the crescendo build and revvyness of the 750 and don't see a need to swap. As mentioned above perhaps if I was racing..I know some of the 750 guys were being passed on the straights on bigger tracks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
f4 750 or 1000

I own an evo3 but had a long term test on the 1000. have to admit i enjoy the experienvce of the 750 best. felt like i was riding it to its fuller potential, hence a better fell good factor ; on the 1000 you always feel you are under achieving. the roads were i live are twisty and the 1000 is slower to throw around. i feel i am quicker on the evo 3 and it won't bite you as quick. the evo also sounds so much fruiter at the top end. so the only way is to suck it and see for yourself. no losers here no matter which way you look at it

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I have owned both, and the 1000 is the motor the 750 should have had, and not being biased for a second, the F4 will have you wondering how they managed to get so much gain from a meer 250cc's.
Its just too hard to explain in writing, you have to experience it, the F4's motor has often been desctibed as making power in a turbine fasion, its linear and its usable throughout the powerband (unlike Jap 1000's)

Its a thing of beauty!

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks to all of you who have replied so far, keep them coming I value all your opinions. One of the reasons I asked this question was I had two Buell Firebolts (excellent handling machines by the way). Firstly the XB9 (1000cc) and then the XB12 (1200cc). My conclusion after riding the 12 for about a year was the smaller capacity bike was only marginally less capable. Anyway enough of Buells this is an MV site.

On a different tack, my Evo III was fitted with Dunlop D207RR tyres which I didn't get along with, the rear was OK but the front wore heavily on the shoulders after about 1500 miles and started 'white lining' badly, I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Powers, which I believe are fitted on the F4 thousand as standard in some cases. Again I know tyres are a subjective thing, one mans meat another mans poison etc. but if you have views on what you think works well on the thousand, tyre wise, I'd be pleased to read them. Thanks again and as an old mate of mine once said; keep one wheel down! john

·
Registered
96 Posts
Regarding the tyres, I've done over 8,000km on the standard fitment Pilot Powers and they have about 2,000 to 2,500km left in them, provided they don't got 'off' before then. Happy would be an understatement - I think thats great mileage for a PP on a 1000cc bike. :) No track days yet though.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Hey Chino,

Where do you go riding, I guess being Sunshine Coast up to Malaney or the roads around the hinterland?

Is yours a new purchase?

·
Registered
96 Posts
agusta01 said:
Hey Chino,

Where do you go riding, I guess being Sunshine Coast up to Malaney or the roads around the hinterland?

Is yours a new purchase?
Hi agusta01,

Yes, mainly around the Sunshine Coast. The group I ride with has a fantastic ~220km loop we do that takes us up through the hills.

My bike was purchased May 05 from Prestige.

Let me know if you ever want to head up this way. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts