MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SOLVED: Plug/play Champion coil replacement

Background:
When MV F4s began using individual stick-style coils, they came from the factory with Champion brand stick coils. Then, after a time, F4s began to be fitted with Beru stick coils, with a different style connector. I have a 2005 750S Brutale with Champion coils. Recently my #4 coil died and I had trouble sourcing a replacement. A common solution on this forum is to change the connector on the loom and fit a Beru coil. I wanted a solution that retained the original connector, and also felt the Beru coils are too expensive, usually priced well over 100 euro (a piece) or more. My solution below is less than half that price and no extra cost to change connectors.

Solution:
Following a lead from a posting on this forum (a member said he used a Fiat Punto coil), I ordered a Valeo Pencil Coil #245117. This type of automotive coil is fairly common and made by other companies, not just Valeo. The one I found was approximately 40 euro.

Fitment:
The Valeo coil's electrical connector is a direct fit to the MV wiring loom connecor. However, two simple modifications must be made to the new coil. (1) The rubber boot and spring on the Valeo coil is too long. Take your dead Champion's boot and spring and swap those onto the new coil. The Champion's rubber boot and spring fit the new coil without modification. (2) the fixed mounting eyelet on the Valeo coil needs to be ovaled-out slightly with a hand drill and a longer bolt needs to be used to mount it to the top of the engine. The half-moon MV hold-down bracket is no longer used.

Although my description above may seem complicated, once you have the new coil in hand you will see this swap takes minutes and is a clean and easy fit.

Source:

There are dozens of Ebay sellers in Europe selling the Valeo Pencil Coil #245117. Valeo isn't the only company that makes such a coil, cross reference for other makers.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,574 Posts
?

Excellent thread I've put a link to it in my sticky
Good work exbike :grin2:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Excellent work and thanks for sharing!

Just for future reference, would this work on the 2010 and forward models?

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Update: After 3,000 miles the Valeo replacement coil is continuing to work well in cylinder #4. Then, with the vehicle mileage at 24,000, I had my second OEM Champion unit fail on cylinder #2. I have replaced coil #2 using the procedure above, using a crossed-referenced NGK unit (list of cross referenced coils to follow). While I was making the swap I snapped a few photos to add to the description above.

Here are the two coils. The Champion is on top, and the "Fiat" (meaning Fiat-type) coil is below. You can see that the Fiat-style is slightly longer, the additional length as a result of the longer rubber boot.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The new Fiat-style coil has a fixed mounting eyelet. This will work, but the hole is too close to the body of the coil, in order to get the mounting bolt to work, the mounting eye needs to be enlarged. The photo shows where I've inked the area that needs to be modified. Use a rat file or drill to enlarge in this direction

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The following list are all the same cross-referenced Fiat-style coils. I have only personally used the Valeo and the NGK, but there is no reason to believe that all these models will work. Some are cheaper than others, some are of higher quality than others. YMMV.

Beru: ZS322,
Blue Print: ADL141401,
Bosch: 0986221043,
Delphi: CE20056-12B1,
Delphi: CE2005612B1,
Fuel Parts: CU1143,
Hans Motors: 925FI0090,
Intermotor: 12741,
Kerr Nelson: IIS037,
Lucas: DMB861,
Magneti Marelli: 060740303010, 403C, 60740303,
Marelli: 060740303010, 403C, 60740303,
Meat & Doria: 10332, 10549,
Mobiletron: CE-72,
NGK: 48061,
Quinton Hazell: XIC8234,
Sovereign: SC046,
Valeo: 245117

·
Super Moderator
22,668 Posts
@exbike: This is excellent information and thank you for the photos!

I have made this thread a STICKY THREAD.

·
Registered
50 Posts
will these coils work in a 2013 1090 RR Brutale?
I suspect one or more of my coils may be quitting.
My bike is away in storage so I dont know what the coils look like

·
Registered
117 Posts
SOLVED: Plug/play Champion coil replacement
Fitment:
The Valeo coil's electrical connector is a direct fit to the MV wiring loom connecor. However, two simple modifications must be made to the new coil. (1) The rubber boot and spring on the Valeo coil is too long. Take your dead Champion's boot and spring and swap those onto the new coil. The Champion's rubber boot and spring fit the new coil without modification. (2) the fixed mounting eyelet on the Valeo coil needs to be ovaled-out slightly with a hand drill and a longer bolt needs to be used to mount it to the top of the engine. The half-moon MV hold-down bracket is no longer used.
Do you have a picture of the coils fitted? I noticed that 2 coils are going to be fitted with the terminal facing to the radiator when using the Fiat style coil mounting eyelet. Are the wiring leads long enough?

·
Administrator
20,425 Posts
Do you have a picture of the coils fitted? I noticed that 2 coils are going to be fitted with the terminal facing to the radiator when using the Fiat style coil mounting eyelet. Are the wiring leads long enough?
This thread is about the individual stick coils used on the later 1st generation and newer bikes.

The old twin lead coils you are referring to are only on 750's and the first of the 1000's using the 1.6M ECU with paired cylinder ignition spark.

·
Registered
117 Posts
This thread is about the individual stick coils used on the later 1st generation and newer bikes.

The old twin lead coils you are referring to are only on 750's and the first of the 1000's using the 1.6M ECU with paired cylinder ignition spark.
My bike is an 03 with paired stick champion BAE 407 A coils and the 16M ECU. I was under the impression that these coils are interchangeable with the Fiat coils by swapping the rubber booth and drilling the eyelet. (But the position of the eyelet for the first and 3rd cylinder confuse me.) Am i incorrect?

Attachments

·
Registered
14,574 Posts
?

There is confusion about the spark plug caps and the stick coils
1st picture spark plug cap came with the 1.6M ECU and the twin coils ('05 1000S here)
2nd picture Beru stick COIL came with the 5SM ECU ('08 Brutale 910R here)
:grin2:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 31 Posts