MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyione out there. I've been reading this forum for a while and now that I finally picked up my '05 F4 1000, I decided I was worthy enough to join.

Anyhow, this may seem like a silly question. I am highly skilled mechanically yet cannot seem to determine how to adjust the chain on my F4. Being that there are no local dealers near me, I want to do this myself, can anyone give me the rundown?

Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'm not near my bike right now, but if I remember correctly you loosen the two allen head bolts at the rear of the swingarm and then turn the eccentric hub with the tool found in the tool kit. Make sure not to overtighten the allen bolts. When I get home I can get you the correct torque setting.

·
Registered
337 Posts
that's correct....you use the large half circle looking tool in your toolkit. the teeth this tool goes on is right between the sprocket and wheel. make sure you do not overtighten...the F4 chain is suppose to look loose. you can use the guide on the swing arm.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
the F4 chain is suppose to look loose
That's certainly something I noticed. I adjusted my chain recently for the first time (only had the bike about 5 weeks), because I thought the drive felt snatchy. When I checked it appeared to be adjusted fine. Then I sat on it, reached down and checked again, and it was tight.

Obviously the dealer/previous owner had tightened it to what you'd normally expect a chain to look like but had failed to anticipate the change in geometry that a rider's weight makes.

So I adjusted it, sat on it, felt the tension, adjusted it again, and now when I look at the bike when it's stationar it looks real loose, but when I sit on it, it's just right - and the drive's no longer snatchy.

Si

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Looser is better than tighter by a mile! If you are unsure, loosen it just a bit more.

I find the measurement techniques flawed at best. I just try to sit on it and compress the suspension enough to where I'm pretty sure that the chain isn't going to get tight on a big stroke of the swingarm. It does tighten up quite a bit through the stroke.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I've posted this pic before but I can't find it, adjusted correctly it will look like this

Attachments

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Toe guard!

I keep asking where to get something with a toe guard for the MV, and the few things I've seen are prohibitvely expensive (then again, can you put a price on your toes?).

Where did that one come from?

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
acruhl said:
Toe guard!

I keep asking where to get something with a toe guard for the MV, and the few things I've seen are prohibitvely expensive (then again, can you put a price on your toes?).

Where did that one come from?
I don't know, it's not my bike (unfortunately) it's that bloke's who's been trying to sell it to buy a Desmosedici, he bought the Tamburini and it was just a disaster, holes through the carbon fairing for crash bungs, scraped the swing arm taking it home, painted it and the rear shock, then removed all the shocks setting numbers with thinners, followed by it falling off he stand, seemed to come over as a :jerkoff:

Anyway, MV corse do a lower chainguard with it built in, I think the part shown may be a lieb part? but i'm not sure.

I'm with you on the adjustment, stick it on the stand, lean over the seat, pull the bike downwards while trying the chain, it's amazing just how loose it needs to be.

Here you go http://www.lieb-speed.de/ or the MV Corse one, it looks pretty but would it be mounted firm enough with just the two 4 mm screws?

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all who responded. I did all of the above mentioned ideas & hints and was so much easier than the owner's manual telling me to just take it to a dealer to adjust. Again, thank you to all.

·
Registered
39 Posts
F4&more said:
Hello to everyione out there. I've been reading this forum for a while and now that I finally picked up my '05 F4 1000, I decided I was worthy enough to join.

Anyhow, this may seem like a silly question. I am highly skilled mechanically yet cannot seem to determine how to adjust the chain on my F4. Being that there are no local dealers near me, I want to do this myself, can anyone give me the rundown?

Thanks, Scott
The articles section on the top toolbar, will take you to a link to the F4 workshop manual. It's in PDF format, but I've attached a couple of images from the relevant pages.

Best Regards

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts