MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The F4, Is it comfortable for a pillion rider ? It doesn't look to me as it would be...but I don't know so I am looking for the experience of others and advice.

Is it comfortable for the rider with a pillion on board ?

I find the bike..ever so slightly tall and I don't want to end up putting my knee, elbow and chin down on the driveway..

Embarrassing and expensive..

joe

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Hi Joe,
My F4 750 is a 1+1, I have both ridden it with a pillion and been pillion on the back myself. It is very much a pillion for emergency use really, its neither comfortable or confidence inspiring for rider or pillion.

If my pillion was a size 8 it may be different, but neither Jen or fit in that category.

jimboF4

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Joe,
My F4 750 is a 1+1, I have both ridden it with a pillion and been pillion on the back myself. It is very much a pillion for emergency use really, its neither comfortable or confidence inspiring for rider or pillion.

If my pillion was a size 8 it may be different, but neither Jen or fit in that category.

jimboF4
Thank you Jim....I think Ill be sticking to the Jota or Motoguzzi or Beemer...: )

·
Vendor
5,154 Posts
Joe,my wife hopped on the back once on a 2 hour ride and she said never again will I get on that bike.I also doubled a fellow MV rider for 30kms after his hub collapsed,the rear shock was bottoming out and he said "boy they are not nice on the back".So I agree emergency only.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I think the best way to look at a pillion seat on any superbike is the same way you look at a space saver spare wheel for a car, it'll get you home in an emergency, nothing more. To be honest I'm surprised they even bother putting one on there.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Better than a Brutale

My kids both recon the F4 is more comfy on the back than the Brutale was. Did 800km in one day with the kids swapping over half way down the road.
Definatly not for a older person.
The rider was a lot less comfy with a pillion.
And this gives me a chance to put these up .....again.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,209 Posts
pillion on a sportbike?

F4 is a Mono Posto
Aprilia RSVR pillion pegs are gone, i hide the seat
Brutale has the pillion pegs but if shes over 50kg she riding on the back of the......

R1150GS, it has a remote hydraulic preload adjuster, a nice seat and saddle bags

if your bike is set up for your weight and you add another ~70kgs to the back......

it won't tip in and the rear will bottom......where's the fun in that?

·
Registered
119 Posts
The F4, Is it comfortable for a pillion rider ? It doesn't look to me as it would be...but I don't know so I am looking for the experience of others and advice.

Is it comfortable for the rider with a pillion on board ?

I find the bike..ever so slightly tall and I don't want to end up putting my knee, elbow and chin down on the driveway..

Embarrassing and expensive..

joe
Hi Joe,

One of my previous threads included a summary from my wife about being a passenger on an F4: http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45601&highlight=2010+test+ride&page=2

She finds it more comfortable than any other sports bike she has been on (hated the R1) and no more or less comfortable than sports tourers (just pains in different places after 3-4 hours).

From a rider's perspective: It is important that the pillion is light (less than 50kg helps) and there are two major differences in riding:
1. The bike does everything a little slower: acceleration, braking and cornering (it is just as stable as long as the passenger knows how to be a passenger)
2. The steering is lighter and you cannot rely on as much feel from the front end.

We have done about 4000km of two up riding on the F4 and if you know the limits and the difference the bike if fine as a two up bike.

I am also 6"3", so I have no issues with putting my feet down - that is an important consideration for you if you are thinking of some two up riding.

Pete

·
Vendor
5,154 Posts
Love how you write a story Pete.In your first post you mentioned the bike shop "Moto Arena",thats where I bought my bike.I have bought 3 bikes from them.When I went for a test ride,it was the same sign the form and away you go (on my own),I was gone for about 40mins and they said you were quick.I rode a red/silver 1078 F4 and there were scratches all down the left side of the bike.I said "what happened here" and they said the last guy that road tested it dropped the bike on loose gravel and it cost him $1,500.00 for the insurance,and after all that he didn't even buy a bike off them.I did thought a black/grey 1078 F4.

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thank you for your input guys.....I keep the F4 in mono config. in the main...I've converted back to biposto to sell one of them but lamentably : )) it hasn't sold.
Good point too Charles about the seat pad being a good base pad for a tail pack...

I did fancy the idea of taking the g/f for a quik spin on the F4 but I'm nursing a sore back at the moment so I reckon I'll pass on it for now...

and Donsy...the reference to "older riders" did not go unnoticed...; )

I'll stick to the Beemer for two up tourring ( although we did a 400 mile day on the Jota on Saturday ). Far more commensurate with a man of my years.Dya know I no longer receive birthday cards..no I get a carbon dating certificate from the Egyptology dept : ))

joe

Attachments

·
Registered
5,572 Posts

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I only say that you should read this:

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2186

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9775

There is lot more... but I have to translate... and I am not so talented as the writer...

Thank you..Barbara Cartland again eh ? Hmmmm not my riding style on the road though..particularly with a pillion on board....ambition would rapidly outstrip my ability I'm afraid and wouldn't put a pillion in that sector of the envelope..

thank you though,

joe

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Thank you..Hmmmm not my riding style on the road though..particularly with a pillion on board....ambition would rapidly outstrip my ability I'm afraid and wouldn't put a pillion in that sector of the envelope..

thank you though,

joe
Wisdom comes with age haha!
I drive much slower now and have a mono. What do say about that?

And who is Barbara Cartland??

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Ah... I see... an writer! Yup, Kathleen was a writer too!

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ah... I see... an writer! Yup, Kathleen was a writer too!

and I am wise beyond my years of course lol

somene on the forum says "slow is smooth and smooth is fast"...I often recall that as I am approaching the twisties..and it is very true..

That's the kind of writing I take note of.. ; )

joe

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Well my wife got on the back of the F4 ONCE - after that she got a licence, bought a Vespa, bought a Moto Guzzi and never got on the back of a bike again.

I think that pretty much sums up the comfort factor of the F4 :laughing: The F4 is now a mono posto.

Wait - last month she had a quick run on the back of the F3 and reckons (whilst thinking it was an impossibility) it was even WORSE than the F4 !

End of Review. :laughing:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts