MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the remedy. Push the front end up and down and it goes click, click. Tightening/loosening the preload adjuster seems to make no difference.

Ideas? Common problem? Any suggestions or links to relevant threads is appreciated.

Cheers,

Ray

·
Registered
268 Posts
You'll have to elevate the front wheel to really evaluate this, which can be a pain (no centerstand, of course). If there the steering head is loose, you have to hope you caught it in time. Sometimes you can tighten it. If it either binds (too tight) or clicks (too loose) then you can try to replace the bearings, which may be worn, just like a wheel bearing when it wears and you get a little side-to-side wiggle in your wheel when you grasp it in your hand.

But the NASTY thing that can happen (happened to me once, not on such a nice bike though, thank god) is frame damage. If you let it go long enough, or if you take a big hit while it's loose or worn, it can damage the frame, and then even putting in new bearings might not fix the problem. I'm not sure if the MV as races milled into the frame or if it has completely replacable races, but in this worst-case situation the frame could be welded and then re-machined. Still, it's a cautionary tale that should motivate you to diagnose your problem and not just ride on it and wonder about it. Get it checked out.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I had something very similar on my 750 also. It started happening after a low side at Donnington and I couldn't work out what it was for weeks. It was only whenI got round to do a full service on the bike that I found the head nut (that really big one that you need that special huge diameter spanner for) to be really loose. After tightening, outting the bike together and riding it felt solid again - no noises.
If you've had an off the jarring can loosen it or it can work loose over time.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Are you sure it's not the floating discs?

What I do to check steering head bearings for sloppy looseness is to turn the front wheel sideways, hold on the front brake, and rock the bike forward and back. You'll probably feel clicking throug the bike, that'll be the floating discs most likely.

Shove your finger from your left hand between the upper triple clamp and the frame. If you can feel movement, that's a problem. If not, it's something else.

It's not outside the realm of possibility that your forks need bushings, as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts