MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any issues regarding the wheel nut coming loose on the sprocket carrier sde?

A couple of years ago I was riding when I suddenly found my self effectively free-wheeling. The wheel nut has come loose which allowed the sprocket carrier to disappear into the undergrowth - never to be seen again. The bike had recently had a rear hugger fitted so I came to the conclusion that the nut had not been torqued up properly. I managed to obtain a replacement carrier complete with cush drives plus a new circlip. I made sure that it was torqued to the correct figures (200 to 220 on the chainwheel side and 220 to 240 on the wheel side).

About 3 weeks ago the bike was due for its MOT and there was play showing in the rear wheel. At first it looked like a bearing issue but it turned out the nut was loose again. The bike has done about 30k miles and has done no more than about 3 or 4k miles since the previous incident.

Has anyone experienced this?

·
Super Moderator
22,843 Posts
Did you have the retaining clip installed?

·
Registered
547 Posts
If you torque your cush drive to spec and have the retaining clip in place and it is coming loose that's a sign of your bushings wearing out. This usually doesn't happen on the old style (round bushings) but on the new style. Seems very odd that this would happen after you replaced it with a new one... when was the last time you serviced your hub?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you torque your cush drive to spec and have the retaining clip in place and it is coming loose that's a sign of your bushings wearing out. This usually doesn't happen on the old style (round bushings) but on the new style. Seems very odd that this would happen after you replaced it with a new one... when was the last time you serviced your hub?

Hello Tapatalk

As you know the early F4s had hub issues and mine was replaced at around 21K miles
When you say retaining clip I assume you mean the circlip around the wheel nut and sits into a hole in the axle ? Yes a new one was fitted after the first incident because I wasn't sure if the existing one had been damaged in some way

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Sorry - I got your ID wrong but the message remains the same

How often should the hub be serviced?

·
Super Moderator
22,843 Posts
Do you mean the circlip that fits around the wheel nut and then sits in a hole in the axle? Yes a new one was fitted after the first incident
Yes, that is what I mean. If that clip was intact, then the nut did not loosen. It cannot.

There will be another issue that is causing wear in the "stack" of components from the sprocket nut all the way through to the wheel nut. There has been much discussion about this in various threads. It is unusual in a First Gen bike, though.

The maintenance interval is every 7500 miles.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A new upgraded hub was fitted when the bike had done 21K miles but the hub has not been touched since then so there maybe some other component that has worn since then. Looks like it needs to come apart for a deeper investigation

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the way the nut did come loose on the first incident and the circlip was still in place. It did occur to me that the circlip might be damaged in some way so that it wasn't being held in the hole in the axle....but it looks like the cause was something other the the circlip- still a bit strange though

·
Administrator
20,754 Posts
I was on a ride with a friend whose nut came off whilst riding through a town.... he had neglected to install the clip. Luckily we found the nut, put it all together and then secured it with a split ring key chain to get home.
Never heard of another first gen doing this if the circlip is in place.
Sounds like your circlip isn't engaging the hole in the axle.

Reactions: Figifister

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was on a ride with a friend whose nut came off whilst riding through a town.... he had neglected to install the clip. Luckily we found the nut, put it all together and then secured it with a split ring key chain to get home.
Never heard of another first gen doing this if the circlip is in place.
Sounds like your circlip isn't engaging the hole in the axle.
Hello

Yes the first time i happened we also found the nut very easily complete with circlip but the sprocket carrier being heavier disappeared into the undergrowth. When the sprocket carrier was replaced i fitted a new circlip and made sure it was engaged but it only goes into the hole in the axle a small distance. So it is even more of a mystery why it has come loose again. Its been suggested that there is another issue somewhere.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Like Ed said, You can install the clip without engaging the hole that's easy to do and you have to do a double-take and make sure that it's in place. Just because you achieved the proper torque value doesn't mean that your inline with a hole. You may have to loosen or tighten slightly to have the axle hole line up with the nut hole. I secure my circlip with a piece of welding wire twisted around itself.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Its been suggested that there is another issue somewhere.
Yes you need to take apart the hub and inspect it according to the tolerances in your service manual. Mitch would be a good person to talk to if you have any specific hub related questions. He sells a high quality Hub replacement.

·
Registered
14,676 Posts
1st let's get the names correct
The wheel nut is on the RIGHT SIDE OF THE BIKE
IT HAS A LEFT HAND THREADS
The sprocket nut is on the LEFT SIDE OF THE BIKE
The and has RIGHT HAND THREADS
They both use a tapered 55mm socket
👍👍👍

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Like Ed said, You can install the clip without engaging the hole that's easy to do and you have to do a double-take and make sure that it's in place. Just because you achieved the proper torque value doesn't mean that your inline with a hole. You may have to loosen or tighten slightly to have the axle hole line up with the nut hole. I secure my circlip with a piece of welding wire twisted around itself.

Yes I am aware of that and I am almost certain from memory that we did align the circlip - i was doing the job with a friend of mine who had the the exact same bike...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts