MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has finally arrived, the chain & sprockets are now kaput on my 750 workhorse.

I am wanting to change the gearing & lower the top speed down to about 150mph but I am unsure how big or small I can go without fowling anything.

I was thinking about a 13T front & a 42 rear? The bike is used mainly for track use & the odd fast road run.

What is sensible without causing any rubbing issues etc?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
bungle;
you might want to ask this in "hands on" >"customizing"

here's Gearing Commander to give you the ratios;
http://www.gearingcommander.com/
We've got a "hands on" section ? Lay of the crack man :naughty:

It has finally arrived, the chain & sprockets are now kaput on my 750 workhorse.

I am wanting to change the gearing & lower the top speed down to about 150mph but I am unsure how big or small I can go without fowling anything.

I was thinking about a 13T front & a 42 rear? The bike is used mainly for track use & the odd fast road run.

What is sensible without causing any rubbing issues etc?

Thanks.
Carl's right, do not go down to a 13 front, that is very small and might cause swing-arm issue's as well as excessive chain wear. I run 15-43 on the 1000R and that makes first almost redundent. Not sure how that would go on the 750, 14-43 sounds good to me.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Although I hardly track my 750, I run 14-43 and I get around about 250ish kmh top (indicated with corrected speedo) so that might be maybe what you are after?

It feels like it pulls much much stronger from lower down too now :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I run 14t-40t on my 2002 750 and I got 152mph in 5th gear then ran out of road. Be sure to use the 14t from MV if you decide to go that way. I tried an aftermarket sprocket and it did not line up properly. It made the bike more fun to ride for me.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
I run 14t-40t on my 2002 750 and I got 152mph in 5th gear then ran out of road. Be sure to use the 14t from MV if you decide to go that way. I tried an aftermarket sprocket and it did not line up properly. It made the bike more fun to ride for me.

Did not line up how ? I have only used aftermarket (520) and no problems. I think there is a difference between the 750 and 1000 sprockets though, not just in the 520 and 525 pitch size. I might be wrong here, but would like to know too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the IS version and it is superb, quick and the is works well, even helped dampen truck vibrations on the harbour bridge the other night, allowing some decent long exposures of the harbour.

I'm selling up though as it dowsnt get enough use, on my crop 550d, its just too 'long'
Gonna downsize to a superwide for now and use my cheapy 75-300 if I really need the focal length

I'd buy it again in a heartbeat If I had the cash, I'll use a superwide a lot more than the tele

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Fuck off and Die you piece of shit.

I have the IS version and it is superb, quick and the is works well, even helped dampen truck vibrations on the harbour bridge the other night, allowing some decent long exposures of the harbour.

I'm selling up though as it dowsnt get enough use, on my crop 550d, its just too 'long'
Gonna downsize to a superwide for now and use my cheapy 75-300 if I really need the focal length

I'd buy it again in a heartbeat If I had the cash, I'll use a superwide a lot more than the tele
:bandit::bandit:

·
King of Bling
9,824 Posts
Did not line up how ? I have only used aftermarket (520) and no problems. I think there is a difference between the 750 and 1000 sprockets though, not just in the 520 and 525 pitch size. I might be wrong here, but would like to know too.
Dons

There are 2 different type front sprockets fitted on the 750's..The early 750's used a different sprocket upto the 2002 models.. You have to be careful when ordering the front sprockets on the 750's and make sure you get the correct one for the year..

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
+1

Thanks John
I knew there was something going, I think our biggest problem is sometimes the owners of the bikes rely on the suppliers who often have no clue "750 is a 750" sort of thing.
Thanks Mate.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Evo 750's have offset on sprocket early models don't.

If your bike is evo dropping a tooth on front to 14 is ideal and a 41 rear keeps things in pretty much the same place regards wheelbase and geometry with the standard length chain.

If it is earlier model with 14/41 std gearing, as mentioned in above posts dont use a 13t as it will cause chain to eat through chain slipper then swingarm and possibly also damage the gearbox bearing housing. I have pics somewhere.
I remember 43 on the rear was pushing the the limits with a std length chain, really needs another link in chain to keep set up and chain tension happy.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
i def would not run anything lower in the front than a 14......go up in the rear before going down in the front.......

that sounded weird

1 - 17 of 17 Posts