MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right guys im here to pick your brains.

Took my f4 750 out for its first run of the year and the clutch is slipping when i get to 9500rpm in third gear and above. only happens above 9500rpm,

i'm assuming with the 750 not having a lot of torque thats why it will not slip earlier on in the rev range.

now the bike has sat previousily for 4 years, i have changed the oil and filter etc and bled the clutch. i rode the bike steady for 20 miles before opening it up properly.

Oil wise i am using rock oil fully synthetic as recommended by donsy.

I'm thinking with the bike sitting for so long the clutch plates have dried out possibly or the springs are weak.

Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Had exactly the same with my 750. Needed new plates and that was it. What is your mileage?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10,000 miles from new
my dad was the previous owner, never really pushed hard off the start etc.

I shall ring my dealer tomorrow and order springs and plates i think. Any idea how much they were?

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
Well... Mine had around 17.000 km at that time so that does make sense. But... I pushed it hard at the time, even slipping the clutch to rev more, so that was not so good probably. I don't know what the costs were as my dealer was even so kind to replace the plates at his expenses :) By chance I just informed for my current bike and that would have been around €150,- for the set.

It would be good to be a bit more sure before you order. There some members here who are much more mechanically inclined and want maybe to add something ;)

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
I think it's probably your springs. Remove them and measure them, Startwin can get you springs, I have new springs here but will have to check if they will work on your bike.
I also have various plates here for 750's which you can have if they still measure up okay, just pay shipping.

·
Registered
14,420 Posts
The manual will tell you how long the spring should be. measure them and work out the shim thickness accordingly.
add at least 1mm over what it takes to get back to stock minimum length.....

if the springs are very different in length, replace them

springs are cheap......a clutch pack isn't

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I removed the clutch pack the other day.
After measuring the spring they are shot I can only assume sitting dorment for 3-4 years has weakened them.

The clutch plates are worn below spec aswell.
Also the steels have some
Nasty burn/high spots.

Looking on pro italia's online parts catalog on the brutale 750(the f4 750 isn't listed) a set of plates,steels and springs comes in at around the $200 mark. Seems reasonable to me

I have contacted several dealers in the uk and having got no reply I am pretty frustrated as the weather is nice.

Now my question is does anybody know any good mv dealers in the uk that are helpful or shall I just order from pro italia?

Cheers Antony

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
You might also want to try the forum sponsors like Startwin, Design Corse or Evolutionbike. Could be at your home beginning of next week :)

·
Registered
14,420 Posts
?

Antony;
PM me;
the ID of the clutch plates, min thickness and the number of tabs on the OD

the OD of the steels and the number of teeth on them

number of springs and specced length

hub OD

trust me there are a lot of differences :jsm:

be careful of the basket 750s have a different primary reduction a 1000 basket won't work

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone,

Called a local Ducati dealer this morning that I forgot service and stock mv parts etc.

Anyway they have the clutch steels in stock and the springs.only thing they haven't got is the friction plates and the gasket.
Although they are ordering them for the end of his week.

A big thumbs up for italia moto in Lincoln uk.excellent customer service and very helpful and a bigger bonus that they are only 30 miles from me.

Also I can't believe the price of the parts;
Springs-£1 something each
Steel plates- £3something each
Friction plates-£9something each
Gasket-£17

Thanks noël for the offer, do you still want the measurents for future reference

·
Registered
14,420 Posts

Thanks Noel for the offer, do you still want the measurements for future reference
If you have the time that would be great.....thank you for offering

if you can include the part numbers too even better:drummer:

I'll write in my parts book for anyone else that needs the info

:popcorn:

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
I think it's probably your springs. Remove them and measure them, Startwin can get you springs, I have new springs here but will have to check if they will work on your bike.
I also have various plates here for 750's which you can have if they still measure up okay, just pay shipping.
I must be chopped liver. ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I must be chopped liver. ?
Far from it. I appreciate your offer/advice.
However if I can get the parts locally it saves you time and effort posting the items (I'm sure you have better things to do)

After remeassiring my friction plates they are within spec however I have ordered some to keep in stock aswell as a gasket.

When the clutch springs are just over a quid new and available to me local it's a no brainer really.

Again I aprreciate your offer and advice on this knowledgeable forum:f4:

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Far from it. I appreciate your offer/advice.
However if I can get the parts locally it saves you time and effort posting the items (I'm sure you have better things to do)

After remeassiring my friction plates they are within spec however I have ordered some to keep in stock aswell as a gasket.

When the clutch springs are just over a quid new and available to me local it's a no brainer really.

Again I aprreciate your offer and advice on this knowledgeable forum:f4:
No worries man, I was just feeling sorry for myself. Hope you get sorted. :)

·
Super Moderator
22,111 Posts

·
Registered
14,420 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts