MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
MVF4 750 2000MY with a rattly cam chain.

Read the various posts and decided to remove my CCT to inspect it and possibly do a reset as instructed here:

MV Agusta FAQ: Cam Chain Tensioner reset or rebuild

This suggests it's a simple case of removal, reset and replacement, but I've also read that I should have secured the chain prior to removal.

I've now got the CCT removed and waiting to go back in...... the above post suggests that it'll find it's own tension when started without causing any timing issues.

Is this correct?

PS...... sorry for another CCT post.

·
Administrator
19,858 Posts
Did you hear any popping sound or other sound from inside the motor when you removed the tensioner?
Once you reinstall it, remove the left side engine cover and rotate the crank shaft through 2 revolutions.
Remove the spark plugs to make this easier.

If it will turn freely and you heard no pop sound when removed then you can start the engine. If not, your timing chain has jumped teeth on the drive gear and you will need to pull the valve cover and check timing.

Do NOT start the engine before rotating the crank. If timing jumped you will find yourself with valve to piston contact.....and then you get to replace the bent valves.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts