MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

I know tht oil filters have been discussed at length many times.

Can anyone please advise if a genuine MV Oil Filter part number 8000A9294 is suitable for a F4 750 2000 model?

There seems to be a shedload of numbers brandished around and I am trying to ascertain whether the above is suitable.

Cheers

Submariner

·
Administrator
19,833 Posts
All the first gen bikes use the same filter. Part numbers have changed as MV has changed suppliers through the years. They do not make their own filters.

No manufacturer does.

Most current part number is 8000B1552.... that is a kit with retaining clamp. Latest number for filter alone (as listed for your bike) is 8000A0810.

8000A9294 is an obsolete part number.....google will show you lots of replacements from Yamaha, Hiflow etc....

Bottom line...yes, it is suitable for your first generation MV 4 cylinder engine if you found one for sale.

Buy a Purolator or HiFlow (or Honda for that matter) and be happy.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks people, very greatly appreciated indeed.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers guys, very greatly appreciated indeed.

·
Registered
14,500 Posts
Dear All,

I know tht oil filters have been discussed at length many times.

Can anyone please advise if a genuine MV Oil Filter part number 8000A9294 is suitable for a F4 750 2000 model?

There seems to be a shedload of numbers brandished around and I am trying to ascertain whether the above is suitable.

Cheers

Submariner
UMMMMM
The MV Factory filter is POS made in Thailand with glued cardboard, so is the Honda and the HiFlo.....the K&N is worse

Buy the Purolator PL-14612 BEST FILTER MADE Laser cut stainless steel and silicone rubber valves
AND IT'S CHEAPER TO BUY THAN THE POS FILTERS TOO

Fuck MVs mounting instructions and the silly clamp......NO OTHER VEHICLE USES ONE

Inside the filter
mounting instructions
correct wrench ~$6 - on Amazon

Attachments

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for this Knurl, I have unfortunately now purchased a genuine MV one, but judging by what you have said I think next time I will go for the Purolator one

·
Registered
14,500 Posts
?

Submariner;
What a lot of you folks don't seem to realize is how the motorcycle industry is set up.......
They want to brainwash you into using FACTORY parts at inflated prices......especially service parts, on an extremely short service life
Or they won't sell wear parts......because they want you to buy the entire assembly, like the rear hub,
Brembo doesn't sell internal parts (except for BMWs and KTMs) Brembo billet calipers used to be $1682.....need a dust seal? it's $1682
Brembo TT 2172 HH pads last 8,000mi on my Aprilia RSVR......the EBC HH pads on my Brutale 910R went 32,000mi
and aren't nearly as abrasive and cost 1/2 as much
MV wants us to change change chain and sprockets at 7,500mi......my original set is at 38,000mi and will go at least 40,000mi
MV uses regular resistor spark plugs and want you to change them at 7,500mi, why not use Iridiums ? yes, they cost more.....
But they'll go 80,000mi to 100,000mi in cars>:)
Look at the silly fuel pump plate O-rings......they want you to use the green Viton ones (not the best for gasoline or ethanol)
My local dealer wants $12 EACH the Ducati dealer wants $17 EACH......the better Buna-N O-rings are ~$8.50 for 25 of them at
McMaster-Carr that's $0.30 EACH....If I order them by 9am, they usually come by 1:30pm the same day
Look at the off the wall oil MV wants you to use.......Agip, now Eni....MV got paid for putting the stickers on their bikes
Me? I use Mobil 1 available anywhere......$24.71 including tax for 5 quarts in a jug......I go within 75 feet of where it is in the store
several times a week
MV wants you to use their shit oil filter for a stupid price......my F4 came with 4 of them, I sold rhem for over $20 each and
bought Purolator PL-14612 filters instead for ~$5 each(a while back)
I get my DID chain and AFAM sprockets from England for $142 delivered

THINK:wink2:

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
There is no Purolator Filter that fits between the headers of a F4 750, believe me.
I listened to Noel and bought the one he recommends for the Brutale (14612) and the shorter one (14610 I believe) for the F4.
Yeah, the shorter one was still too long for my F4.
For my F4S I went to Autoparts with my old OEM Filter and compared it with what they had on the Shelves.
I went with a Mobil 1 in the end.
And guess what, only the shorter Purolator fitted my Brutale S 750 with the Ti Headers.
The PL-14612 was a waste and I gave them finally to Arthur.

·
Registered
14,500 Posts
wtf????,

There is no Purolator Filter that fits between the headers of a F4 750, believe me.
I listened to Noel and bought the one he recommends for the Brutale (14612) and the shorter one (14610 I believe) for the F4.
Yeah, the shorter one was still too long for my F4.
For my F4S I went to Autoparts with my old OEM Filter and compared it with what they had on the Shelves.
I went with a Mobil 1 in the end.
And guess what, only the shorter Purolator fitted my Brutale S 750 with the Ti Headers.
The PL-14612 was a waste and I gave them finally to Arthur.
Guess what genius?
Go to my Sticky the, Interchangeable Parts section......The Mobil 1 M-108 filter is listed IF THE SHORTER OF THE PUROLATOR FILTERS IS TOO LONG, THAT'S A PL14612
I've also given the lengths of the 3 filters in other posts......I have no way of knowing what pipes YOU have on your 750
Given that YOU'RE the only person on this Forum that has had a problem with the Purolator PL-14612......
And that you didn't know which filter was the shorter....don't think the filter is the problem

https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/153-general-maintenance-tech-issues/216497-mv-tools-shop-supplies-part-sources-interchangeability.html

·
Administrator
19,833 Posts
Calm down Noel. Ralf is just stating his experience. No need to be condescending or insulting.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Guess what genius?
Go to my Sticky the, Interchangeable Parts section......The Mobil 1 M-108 filter is listed IF THE SHORTER OF THE PUROLATOR FILTERS IS TOO LONG, THAT'S A PL14612
I've also given the lengths of the 3 filters in other posts......I have no way of knowing what pipes YOU have on your 750
Given that YOU'RE the only person on this Forum that has had a problem with the Purolator PL-14612......
And that you didn't know which filter was the shorter....don't think the filter is the problem

https://www.mvagusta.net/forum/153-general-maintenance-tech-issues/216497-mv-tools-shop-supplies-part-sources-interchangeability.html
All good Noel, I looked in my Amazon Order from 2015.
The PL-14610 is the longer one which didn't fit on any of my Bikes.
The PL-14612 is the shorter one which fit behind the Titanium Headers at my since a few month sold Brutale S, but not on my equally sold 2001 F4S with the Standard Headers.
Mobil 1 M-108 (I believe) was the one which fitted my F4S with Standard Headers.
The Gentlemen who created this Thread was asking specifically about an Oil Filter for a F4 750.

·
Registered
46 Posts
All good Noel, I looked in my Amazon Order from 2015.
The PL-14610 is the longer one which didn't fit on any of my Bikes.
The PL-14612 is the shorter one which fit behind the Titanium Headers at my since a few month sold Brutale S, but not on my equally sold 2001 F4S with the Standard Headers.
Mobil 1 M-108 (I believe) was the one which fitted my F4S with Standard Headers.
The Gentlemen who created this Thread was asking specifically about an Oil Filter for a F4 750.
I have the exact same bike as the OP and you're right, haupti, the quoted Purolator does not fit, as I also purchased based off that feedback.

My bike has stock headers btw.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I can confirm the M1-108 fits just right. Although it is close enough to the number 2 header that I cut a oil filter socket cup to have clearance when tightening .

·
Registered
344 Posts
Could be really interesting to check out (test) the properties that make up a "Good" Oil-filter - quite apart from how well constructed the can is, and what materials go into the design -- Stainless steel may not be an "improvement"

There are 2 parameters that are very important on a highly tuned engine like the ones on our MV's: the most important one is Flow restriction -- in relation to oil pressure, the other one is particle filtration (in an engine with small internals and tight tolerances, this is rather important)

The particle size parameter is measured in the maximum size particles that will flow through the filter .. This is a feature of the filter paper used.

To minimize flow restriction you can either increase the surface area of the paper (of a given max particle size) or use paper wich lets through larger particles.

Since most of us change the filter with every oil-change (wich a lot of us do maybe more than is really needed :) ) the longevity and/or mechanical strength of the filter itself is probably not paramount.

I'm going to do a test of a few different filters for the MV (For a 750) taking them apart and see if I can improvise a flow test ..

Reactions: nigelrb

·
Administrator
19,833 Posts
Could be really interesting to check out (test) the properties that make up a "Good" Oil-filter - quite apart from how well constructed the can is, and what materials go into the design -- Stainless steel may not be an "improvement"
I'm going to do a test of a few different filters for the MV (For a 750) taking them apart and see if I can improvise a flow test ..
Or read this article where someone has already done the work for you.... the basis of Knurl's choice in filters:

https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html#OilFilters

·
Registered
344 Posts
@esq'z me:

-Very good article - with some interesting references

unfortunately most of the filters mentioned are not available for sale here in Europe-- So I need to do some research into replacements for the HiFlo 554 ..

Anyone know the Number for a Bosch replacement for the HiFLo used on the F4 750 SPR Engine (HF 554 i think)?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts