MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

I use the bike purley for trackdays - and just back from 3 fantasic days at Catalunya in Spain - motogp track.

Bike is running fine - still keeps with the modern zx10r along the straights ;-)

But i was told that the bike smokes out the exhaust when shutting the throttle - so on the overrun - oil from somewhere must be getting into the exhaust - i was thinking valve guides - but i do remember over filling the engine by about 3/4 of a pint accidently and didnt notice until after doing a trackday - before flying the bike out to spain.

So not sure what damage this could have done ??

Could the oil have been blown/scavinged up into the airbox and is trickling into the head when throttle closed ?

Anybody have any ideas - the bike is not losing any power - so wouldnt have thought rings

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Pull the airbox and see if it's oiled inside. Overfill could push some oil into the breather and into the airbox I expect.

·
Vendor
5,367 Posts
Basic question first,are you using oil.Is oil level dropping?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Guys

There is no oil when startup or accelleration - bike has done around 6k miles 95% on track - serviced yearly new oil/filter and shims changed and in tolerance.

I overfilled when changing worn gear box selector and clutch gasket leaked, so replaced gasket after a trackday test , dropped the oil, replaced gasket and re-used oil (it had only done 2 trackdays - so fairly new) - but oil was low - so topped up to just below top mark - with COLD engine .. did another trackday and felt like a bit of clutch slip, so checked oil level and oil level glass completly full, so dropped about 3/4 of a pint to get back to just above midway level.

Went to Barcelona and mates noticed small white puffs of smoke when dropping through the gears and hard deceleration.

So get bike back saturday and will check oil filter/box for excessive oil top see if the engine scavanger has dumped some up there.

Otherwise if its an valve guide seal - whats the best way of determing what valve guide it is ??
intake/exhaust ??

·
Vendor
5,367 Posts
Oil level should not rise unless you have a blown head gasket and coolant is contaminating oil which would explain white smoke.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oil level should not rise unless you have a blown head gasket and coolant is contaminating oil which would explain white smoke.
Mitch

If the oil is overfilled, dosnt this increase engine pressure - so the engine scavange pipe that goes into your air box from the engine allows excess oil to be blown out ?

If i had a blown head gasket -
1. water levels would drop
2. bike would run like shit
3. oil would have white crap/foam in it.

I have none of the above..

Small puffs of white smoke - ONLY on hard decelaration

·
Registered
666 Posts
didn't someone have failled/weakened head bolts a little ways back? outside bolts that might have gotten wet and corroded over time.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
I recon you had excess oil build up in the scavenge cavity and maybe airbox.
Keep your oil level at 3/4 level if you're track riding, I've been doing that for years.

If you suspect valve stem seals, then I imagine the bike would also smoke at start-up after standing a while as oil leaks through. We've seen this on a few bikes, but it's not terribly common.
Does you EBS still work ?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I recon you had excess oil build up in the scavenge cavity and maybe airbox.
Keep your oil level at 3/4 level if you're track riding, I've been doing that for years.

If you suspect valve stem seals, then I imagine the bike would also smoke at start-up after standing a while as oil leaks through. We've seen this on a few bikes, but it's not terribly common.
Does you EBS still work ?

Hi Donsy

Yeh thats what i'm hoping for rather than valve guide seals
The bike dosnt smoke on startup - purrs like a pussy cat :)

As for the EBS - im so use to it, i couldn't tell if it was working or not now..
I have the microtech 191 ecu - so can check to what its set at , as i think i may have lowered the rev range it starts to kick in and adjusted the amount of reduced engine braking at certain revs ..

Powerwise - its still potent, a mate with a early rsv4 rode it and couldnt belive how quick and easy reving it was, and realsied why i kept pasisng him - even the zx10r guys looked amazed as an old 2008 bike weighing in at 192kgs dry was sitting behind them on the Cataluyna straight ;-)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Thinking like Mitchy on this .

White smoke = coolant, blue smoke = oil. Hard de acceleration high manifold vacuum. Combustion chamber is under vacuum / throttle plates closed.

Because you don't see foam in the oil might be this is the start or early symptoms likewise other indications haven't shown up yet.

Just thinkiing keeping open minded.

Like Donsy stem seals would leak and cause smoke on startup.
If there was oil in the air box smoke would be constant not when the throttle was closed.

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry - white/blue - maybe i'm colour blind a bit - old age you see - but it was more blue than white

·
Vendor
5,367 Posts
In post number 6 you said White smoke and you also said oil level had risen.We can only comment on the info you give us.Also a leaking head gasket doesn't always mean coolant contaminating oil,you may have coolant leaking into 1 or more cylinders.You need to do a cylinder leakage test and a dye test to see what is causing:smoking:

·
Registered
666 Posts
Mitchy that's what I was thinking it might be the early signs of a weakening head gasket.

Overfilling the oil might cause it to foam and it wouldn't lubricate among other issues. Doubt that's what's happening.

Spud check your head bolts too!

·
Super Moderator
22,472 Posts
If you hae a leaking head gasket, and water gets into your oil, the oil will emulsify and produce a coffee-with-cream color in your oil. There will also be foam on the oil surface and an almost granular appearance to the oil surface.

·
Super Moderator
22,472 Posts
Very.
I was trying to get folks back on track by stating the signs of a leaking head gasket.

It is not that.

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
?

You folks are too funny.......

pull the ffing air box.....if its oily it was over filled, if not......get a flashlight

open the throttles and have a look......down the intakes.... leaking valve seals will leave

black carbon deposits on the back of individual valve.......sorry Ed, not fuel deposits

I have pictures of my motor ..... spotless and crusty valves in the same intake

with the beam strength of an MV, I doubt head gasket.......the right rear head stud on

my '08 910R is broken off .....NO LEAKS...... almost 33,000mi

:drummer:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
have the bike back now from transport - so will drop the tank and check the airbox and INTAKE valves

I'll also check the head bolts and drop the oil to satisfy people if its the head gasket or not

1 - 20 of 83 Posts