MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the the drilling mod on my pipes recently and now with the exhaust back together and back on the bike, I can't help but think the tips look a little low at the back.

I saw an F4 1000 S today and the gap above the tips was definitely a little smaller.

As far as I can see i've but the tips back on correctly and the riveted them through the original holes, its as it the whole silencers and tips are lower.

The 'height' of the silencers is dictated by the 'hangers' that drop down from the sub-frame. These are correctly attached.

The seam line running down the outside of the silencers isn't quite parallel withe the bottom of the seat unit plastic, with the gap increasing by about 3-4mm by the back of the bike.

What has happened?

I have photos, but I got banned last time I posted any, so i'm getting my post count up first this time.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I've found you can make small adjustments with the hangers. Slight twists will raise or lower the exhaust. Make sure you loosen the plate under the exhaust so they can move a little easier (for alignment). Also, you exhaust does look a little low, but you don't want to get it too close. Those tips get pretty hot and I've heard they can melt the paint or plastic. Also, remember that it will change slightly as it heats up and cools down (expansion blah, blah, blah).

Best of luck!

·
Super Moderator
21,432 Posts
The distance from seat to tail pipe is held by the "dog bone" looking device. I'd try loosening both allen head bolts (one is through the hole in the heat shield) on both sides of the exhaust, push up on the tail pipes, and re-tighten.

It is possible, I suppose, you are missing a rubber insert in one or the other sides.....

I can see the top one on this side, but the others you will have to check.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
It does look too low indeed. As if the angle is not right. Maybe you should look if they go far enough in the midpipe...

·
Super Moderator
21,432 Posts
There is no mid-pipe on the 312R. The whole of the exhaust is one welded piece up to the slip on. You could try pushing the slip-on father onto the exhaust pipe and that would move the slip-on forward creating some angle on the "dog-bones" and raising the tail pipes.

There should also be two metal inserts in each rubber mount...one outside and one inside.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks guys.

I've already loosened everything, lifted the exhaust and retightened.

The slip-ons are fully home into the exhaust.

The washer/sleeve things are in the dog bones correctly.

I'm bamboozzled by this one

·
Super Moderator
21,432 Posts
Hmmm, I'll go look at mine in a bit. See if I can see a difference.

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
The exhaust hangers attach to the stainless section. The pipes are aft of that. I don't know what was involved in doing the cores but if it involved taking the tips off then they may well be at not quite the right angle whilst everything else is correct.
Is there a way to orientate them ?

joe

·
Registered
25 Posts
The exhaust hangers attach to the stainless section. The pipes are aft of that. I don't know what was involved in doing the cores but if it involved taking the tips off then they may well be at not quite the right angle whilst everything else is correct.
Is there a way to orientate them ?

joe

There are 6-8 rivets holding each tip on, a small bit a misalignment might be possible, but to missalign all four tips in the same direction would seem unlikely.

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
I thinks by the laws of Trigonometry that a mm of sag at the angle ( gravity being the suspect ) in all four pipes could indeed be the culprit :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Loosen everything and tighten the joining plate underneath the collector boxes first! If the pipes are not fully fitted into the slip on section it will result in this problem. Once fully home and you may need to twist a little first, you should have two springs connected which hold the two pipes firmly together behind the exhaust heatshield. Finally, support the exhaust sections and tighten the upper dog none sections last on both sides.....good luck!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

1 - 17 of 17 Posts