MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

About a week ago I bought a MV Agusta F4 R -13 model from a local MV Agusta dealer.

It had not been running for at least six months or so. In the shop we tried to start it, but didn't start and had to replace the battery for starters and after the replacement it ignited nicely.

After the test ride noticed that the bike ran on idle really bad, which we figured that was because of the old gas in the system. After about 200miles and two injection cleaner additives it runs all right.

To my initial question:

After a week wanted to check the oil levels on the bike, since the service manual said the bike did have an oil replacement 1000km ago (the bike has been ridden now 45 000km). The oil indicator window didnt show any markings of oil... Anyways, went to buy the recommended oil for the bike and it ate 2litres of it!!! Put a bit of excess oil, so had to open the plug on the bottom to drain a bit away.

Then noticed that there were some small metal fragments that came out with the oil. Did a bit of research and found out that it could be because of a loose/in need of maintenance cam chain. Anyways, im not familiar with the normal soundings of the cam chain/engine sounds on this bike (my bike before this was Honda CBR 650 lol), but to my ear the chain sounds a bit loud (tingle noice). Also there is a new/original exhaust that was fitted just before it was sold and now the tips of the pipes are all black. (oil leaking to combustion chamber?) Also in the low revs 0-4000 the motor seems to vibrate slightly when riding. Is it normal, or is it something to be worried about?

Now turning towards your supreme wisdom in this case! What do you think guys, should I post a video that shows the sound of the chain, if it helps?

P.S. Did even take the bike to the service and all they checked was the error codes and it didn't give any faults. (of course i dint know at that time about the oil thing only about the bad idle)

·
Super Moderator
22,051 Posts
First let me welcome you to the world of mvagusta.net.
You have a mighty bike there!

I believe, and someone will jump in to correct me, that the cam chain tensioner is hydraulic for your bike. For that reason, the engine will clatter until sufficient oil pressure is reached to regulate cam chain tension. On a side note, MV Agusta bikes are noisy in the Engine department.

It sounds to me like the place where you bought the bike did not care about it.

As for the metallic pieces found in the sump: Where they large? Fuzzy? Magnetic?

The oil level needs to be measured with the bike vertical and flat. Two liters would be about two-third of the total oil (3kg) that is supposed to be in the bike. How long did you ride with oil below the sightglass?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Silent and Xpara,

Thanks for your replies, the thing was that I had probably put too much oil because the indicator didn't seem to be too easy to check alone without any proper equipment.

Anyways, had to drain a litre or so more.

Figured out that the scrap inside the oil was probably something else like from The gearbox. Put some x-1r oil additive and seems like the sounds became somewhat smoother now.

The dealer actually sent a mechanic to my place today since I told him about the scraps.

I think I just might have overthinking it all! Anyways the additives to gas and oil seem to do miracles. Lol

It's running so much better now that I have ridden it a while.

Will post some pictures of her when i have time.

Peace crackers!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hi

The F4 tensioners are mechanical (spring loaded), not hydraulic, so oil pressure is not required to activate the tensioner.

When were the valve clearances last checked? The interval is 12,000km but that is not widely followed. The recommended chain replacement interval is 36,000km. The workshop manual shows how to measure the stretch in the chain which is probably a better guide to when chain replacement is needed. At 45,000km you would want to know where you stand with these things.

Some of these bikes suffered from wear in the bush in the intermediate gear that runs off the crank and drives the cam chain. It makes it noisy at idle and with a stethoscope the noise could be tracked to the lower cam chain area. That could be the source of the scrap metal you are seeing in the oil. Did the mechanic make any comment on the scrap?

·
Administrator
19,512 Posts
Welcome to the family !! Your avatar has the Finland flag, is that where you reside??

How many Km or miles are on your new (to you) bike??
As ss703 said, MV engines do make some noises...much more than a Honda would.
And what kind of metal particles? Fuzzy like Iron filings or chips? tiny fuzzy bits are pretty normal.

We love photos here...show us your bike and local scenery!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When were the valve clearances last checked? The interval is 12,000km but that is not widely followed. The recommended chain replacement interval is 36,000km. The workshop manual shows how to measure the stretch in the chain which is probably a better guide to when chain replacement is needed. At 45,000km you would want to know where you stand with these things.

Some of these bikes suffered from wear in the bush in the intermediate gear that runs off the crank and drives the cam chain. It makes it noisy at idle and with a stethoscope the noise could be tracked to the lower cam chain area. That could be the source of the scrap metal you are seeing in the oil. Did the mechanic make any comment on the scrap?
Hey man!

Thanks for the reply. The last big maintenance service was done just about 13t km ago the next one should be at 48t km as I know.

The mechanic didn't think the reason for the scrap was because of the cam chain, he said it's probably coming from the gear box, because I told him that I had one time the 6th gear jump to neutral. Then again the dealer told me that they really never even replaced a single MV Agusta cam chain or do any maintenance on them. We have such a few Agustas in Finland anyways that I think it's not relevant to think that it couldn't happen if it hadn't happened before.

Welcome to the family !! Your avatar has the Finland flag, is that where you reside??

How many Km or miles are on your new (to you) bike??
As ss703 said, MV engines do make some noises...much more than a Honda would.
And what kind of metal particles? Fuzzy like Iron filings or chips? tiny fuzzy bits are pretty normal.

We love photos here...show us your bike and local scenery!!
Thanks esq'z me! Happy to see that the community is so active.

45t km, yes im residing in Finland, have you ever been here?

The metal particles were kinda small, nothing big, just small bits of scrap. Something as big as sand.

Here are some pictures I took today just for you guys, enjoy! (need to wash my bike, it was raining a bit at some point)

·
Administrator
19,512 Posts
Thanks for the photos. Interesting wall there....no I have not been to Finland, but perhaps some day I can visit.
Tiny sand sized bits of metal (I would call it iron filings like off the teeth of a cross file while shaping steel) are common and nothing to worry about.

Ride safely and wash your hands !!! 😷

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help guys! So happy to bond with people sharing a mutual passion towards these bikes.

Rode an awesome curvy country road yesterday and she works now like a swiss watch. Couldn't be happier!

If you happen to celebrate easter, here is a photo of a church from my ride yesterday.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts