MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I have a 2000 F4 with about 9000 miles on the clock. It is rarely used (perhaps 200 miles a year with some running on the stand in the garage).

Each year I replace the oil with a new quality oil and fit a new oil filter. Despite the fresh oil being an amber colour, the old oil that I remover with barely 200 miles use is always black. I would appreciate thoughts on why the oil turns black on such a young, barely used engine (or does oil go black very quickly with use anyway).

I am sure I have read in the manual that engine flushing additives (poured into the existing oil and run before removal) should not be used. I have however, heard that some users use a cheap oil to flush through any shite in the system before putting in fresh quality oil. I would appreciate advice on what type of super cheap oil (including weight) people use to perform this flush.

Many thanks

Submariner

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
How many oil threads can one person start before people start thinking he's fooling with them.
If you do 200 miles a year, on f...k knows how many ocastions, I'll bet that oil never gets warm enough to burn of the moisture formed in it.
Stop changing your oil and ride the bike, if you're not riding it, don't put new oil or any in it man, seriously.........

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/153-general-maintenance-tech-issues/48338-oil-filter-links.html
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/153-general-maintenance-tech-issues/162313-amsoil-oil.html
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/153-general-maintenance-tech-issues/161938-castrol-engine-oil.html

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These were only a few questions Donsy. Like why the oil turns black. Perhaps you could assist instead of throwing a wobbler

·
Super Moderator
22,348 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Cheers Silent for the link, very greatly appreciated. If you had been able to post a response quicker it perhaps would have prevented poor old Donsy from blowing a gasket and having to reach for the paracetamol. All comments in jest of course:grin2:

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Cheers Silent for the link, very greatly appreciated. If you had been able to post a response quicker it perhaps would have prevented poor old Donsy from blowing a gasket and having to reach for the paracetamol. All comments in jest of course:grin2:
Ok mate, all comments in jest of course. You know how they say there's no stupid question ? 0:)Well you break that rule. You've started more oil threads than anybody on this forum........ever, and the answer to your latest question can be found in one of them, never mind the myriad of OTHER oil questions and responses not only by myself but some really smart people.
But then then you'd have to do something out of the norm and not just type into search, but you might have to scroll through the section a bit and put some effort in.:nerd2:
It was Tequila, not paracetamol. :grin2:
Hope you're all oiled up now.

·
Vendor
5,336 Posts
I do not recommend engine flush.
It doesn't do much good to crankshaft bearings and camshaft journals.
Like the guys said ride the bike more often.:smile2:

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks all for your responses. Donsy, I hope you enjoyed the tequilla, I can confirm I am oiled up nicely thanks.

I can certainly agree 200 miles is certainly a low number, but I get alot of pleasure having the bike in the garage and looking at it / waxing it. I don't want to sell it as I like it too much. :x

·
Registered
196 Posts
The only thing I can offer is maybe don't run it on the stand. Only riding it, getting its oil hot, and working it will do it any good. You'd be better off changing the oil after such a (long) ride, and never starting it, then if you're concerned about oil coverage, pull the plugs and crank the engine for a period when things aren't loaded. Other wise leave it stood, the oil will stay cleaner for longer, it's the no load running that turns it black.

Oil takes around 30 miles of riding to get hot, then if there is crap in it to burn out, probably another 100 miles. My opinion of course, and when I do use mine, it's usually at least this distance, just very rarely now ha.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The early models have a pretty rubbish fueling map in them. Wouldn't surprise me if it's running rich as hell probably in the rev range where someone who does just 200 mi a yr would ride it. That'd darken your oil.
Used differently it may run clearer for longer. But 'black' is in the eye of the beholder isn't it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts