MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Appreciate if anyone knows, does 1078 come with an EBS /relay?

Cylinders not working properly (on and off engaging) last few days so it must be an electrical issue.
MikeF4 Black, Stiv appreciate feedback please. Any similar problems? I ruled sparks, fuel filter, fuel tank dirt, fuel couplings out.. running out of ideas.

Thanks all
Phil

·
Registered
307 Posts
Appreciate if anyone knows, does 1078 come with an EBS /relay?

Cylinders not working properly (on and off engaging) last few days so it must be an electrical issue.
MikeF4 Black, Stiv appreciate feedback please. Any similar problems? I ruled sparks, fuel filter, fuel tank dirt, fuel couplings out.. running out of ideas.

Thanks all
Phil
Hey Phil,
Yes is the short answer. If it's got ebs, it has a relay. Other threads have talked about this relay failing on other models (When it gets hot maybe?). Worth investigating to confirm the symtoms.
Hasn't happened to me but it sounds pretty annoying. Let's hope it's something as simple as a relay.
Sorry don't know part numbers.
Stiv

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Phil can you explain in some more detail what's happening and when? Also what you've checked?
Thanks Stiv

I won't bore you with details, same like others who described the problem i.e. fuel smell, engine off balance, loss of power, 1-2 cylinders clearly not working. It is not heat related it first started after the engine cooled down. Checked fuel tank for any dirt/ moisture, couplings underneath, sparks all ok.
Thing is as per UK dealer, model 1078 does NOT have an Electronic Braking System! No clue what the problem is but its getting frustrating now..

Not sure if unburned fuel causes any damage to catalyst too.

P.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Actually, I think the 1078 are using both the EBS and a slipper clutch.

Edit: This is from MV's site:

The second most important modification is the introduction of a slipper clutch that does not replace the EBS (Engine Brake System) but works alongside it. It is a mechanical slipper clutch system with ramps and roller bearings. The result is immense deceleration caused by backing off the throttle but it is progressive and thus allows the rider to pick better lines into corners. Having such an easy to manage engine improves a rider’s automatic reflexes, increases feel with the machine and makes riding it all the more satisfying. When really pushing the machine to the limits, the rider becomes more effective on both the road and the track, almost without realizing it.
http://www.mvagustausa.com/web-mvagusta/08_F4_1078RR.html

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thanks Stiv

Thing is as per UK dealer, model 1078 does NOT have an Electronic Braking System! No clue what the problem is but its getting frustrating now..

P.
Frustrated... I bet!

Don't know where your UK dealer is coming from. The bike has EBS. I've read lots of stuff about it before i bought the bike and of course you can hear it working growling back at you. You must hear it too.

Plus.. There is lots of documentation on it when you start looking.

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23870&stc=1&d=1230040417

and

The F4 RR 312 is fitted with an extractable gearbox that allows gear ratios to be quickly and easily changed. The Magneti Marelli 5SM ECU manages the widely acknowledged EBS system (Engine Brake System) that is fitted to MV Agusta engines. The concept is based on a solenoid-activated by-pass valve on cylinder N° 2 intake duct. The by-pass is situated downstream from the feed throttle that has a suitably shaped air intake. This device allows cylinder N°2 to produce torque even under deceleration (when the feed throttles are closed) thanks to a signal sent by the Marelli ECU. This EBS system is activated in conjunction with the new slipper clutch.

Haven't got a parts catalogue or a workshop manual for a 312r motor but it sure does sound like the EBS relay. Sounds like i better order a spare for myself.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Also may be a long shot and a last resort before you pull the rest of your hair out.....

Have a look at the manual for coil checking proceedures. Someone here may correct me but if the coils are grouped together in sets of two, there may be a fault affecting two cylinders?
I'm sure a few other things to check before you get to that.
Maybe your UK dealer could discount a Workshop Manual for you since you are a bit isolated with probs.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for comments.

Apparently there is an EBS valve (I must inform my dealer by the way..) and I guess I ll find it, relocate it (for heat) and hope for the best. I must order a fresh part just in case.

Stiv finding a workshop 1078 manual seems impossible (I am waiting for 3 months now since purchase of the Bike).

Thanks again
P.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Can we just remove the EBS system? on the 2008 and under F4 models, and just install a STM or another brand slipper clutch?

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
MikeF4 Black, appreciate feedback please.
I wish I could help you, but as I did only some 250 kms on the thing and my attention was focused on engine temp end coolant spillage, I never noticed anything wrong with the EBS. EBS never gave me any problems wth the 1000S and the 312R either. It's just a rather unpredictable system, that's all.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Relay?

So... What have you found P?

It was the EBS Relay Yes?

I was looking at a dealer's manual and it's not listed as EBS relay as such. As far as i can tell it's the 40 amp relay un-named in the fuel injection wiring loom next to the Starter Relay. Can't tell for sure.
Stiv

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So... What have you found P?

It was the EBS Relay Yes?

I was looking at a dealer's manual and it's not listed as EBS relay as such. As far as i can tell it's the 40 amp relay un-named in the fuel injection wiring loom next to the Starter Relay. Can't tell for sure.
Stiv
Hi Stiv,

Not much I am afraid. It was Easter for us so everything was closed. Took her out last night for 30 min spin. Working fine and then at 87C I lost the cylinder(s) again after a town ride (with temp ranging to 100C). Pulled over, let her cool down for 20 min tried again, nothing still with problem. Good thing home was only 5 min away so slowly I rode home. I then left the bike for 2.5 hrs to cool down and when I fired up it was fine. I am 100% sure it is the relay. If it was something else it wouldn't just come and go on the cylinders.

Really hope you wont get the same problem it is very frustrating. I found prices for other forum members and relay goes at USD100-110. I called UK dealer and promised to send me a new relay (hopefully under warranty).

1000S manual talks about the EBS valve but very briefly and then refers to the TSS (which changes the size of travel for increased performance- Tamburini model-like). I ll just change the relay and do nothing else, hate to mess her up with systems and settings etc, From past threads I found out that relay is close to the frame/ headstock whereas the EBS valve is close to the headers. I ll find it I guess.

It comes with the package I guess, what can you do. Oh by the way the turning signals sometimes go on by themselves!! Nice..

P.

PS Needless to say,I ll post pictures and part numbers etc as soon as I fix it. I fear you may have to tackle this sooner or later.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi Stiv,

Not much I am afraid. It was Easter for us so everything was closed. Took her out last night for 30 min spin. Working fine and then at 87C I lost the cylinder(s) again after a town ride (with temp ranging to 100C). Pulled over, let her cool down for 20 min tried again, nothing still with problem. Good thing home was only 5 min away so slowly I rode home. I then left the bike for 2.5 hrs to cool down and when I fired up it was fine. I am 100% sure it is the relay. If it was something else it wouldn't just come and go on the cylinders.

Really hope you wont get the same problem it is very frustrating. I found prices for other forum members and relay goes at USD100-110. I called UK dealer and promised to send me a new relay (hopefully under warranty).

1000S manual talks about the EBS valve but very briefly and then refers to the TSS (which changes the size of travel for increased performance- Tamburini model-like). I ll just change the relay and do nothing else, hate to mess her up with systems and settings etc, From past threads I found out that relay is close to the frame/ headstock whereas the EBS valve is close to the headers. I ll find it I guess.

It comes with the package I guess, what can you do. Oh by the way the turning signals sometimes go on by themselves!! Nice..

P.

PS Needless to say,I ll post pictures and part numbers etc as soon as I fix it. I fear you may have to tackle this sooner or later.
Hey P

Any news?
You got the relay?
Fix the Problem?
Pics?
Part Numbers?

I ordered the relay as a spare last week and received it a few days ago. it's marked 07.. so it's same as the 1000r i expect. Cost $90aud. A lot for a little relay. i doubt there is very much that's 'special' about it. Hasn't even got mv stamped on it to make it worth more.
Cynical? yes

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey P

Any news?
You got the relay?
Fix the Problem?
Pics?
Part Numbers?

I ordered the relay as a spare last week and received it a few days ago. it's marked 07.. so it's same as the 1000r i expect. Cost $90aud. A lot for a little relay. i doubt there is very much that's 'special' about it. Hasn't even got mv stamped on it to make it worth more.
Cynical? yes
Hi Stiv

Nothing. Still waiting for the bloody thing. When here I 'll try to find another make of the relay hoping new one will cope.

P.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Phil, call Constantinos and have him go and take the relay off one of my bikes (preferably the R). Swap it with yours and see if that helps. When you get your new relay from MV, take mine back. I also have the workshop and engine manuals on my computer. I am pretty sure that Constantinos has a printed copy somewhere as well, so he could help you with that as well.

It seems to me that luck has abandoned you ever since you got the MV!!!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi Stiv

Nothing. Still waiting for the bloody thing. When here I 'll try to find another make of the relay hoping new one will cope.

P.
gees it would be quicker for me to get one in The land of OZ and send it Air mail to you! There must be a good reason they are so slow. Are they out of stock?
How crazy is it that it would be quicker to order it from Australia.
Stiv

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Phil, call Constantinos and have him go and take the relay off one of my bikes (preferably the R). Swap it with yours and see if that helps. When you get your new relay from MV, take mine back. I also have the workshop and engine manuals on my computer. I am pretty sure that Constantinos has a printed copy somewhere as well, so he could help you with that as well.

It seems to me that luck has abandoned you ever since you got the MV!!!
Thanks Dem

I do have the manual of 1000S and mot much is said about the relay. I may try what you say (get yours and try it) if everything else fails.

Its not that bad, not any other problem really. Dont forget I am used to Ducatis 10 years ago, now that was something else (coolant leakage from the engine, rear cush drive eating away the swing arm etc etc).

Thanks anyway
P.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I hope for your sake it IS the relay Phil. It will be a quick and simple fix.
You are right Stiv I could get it quicker from Australia (or a Forum member). No, UK official dealer has stock. I do not know why the delay. It is not the money its just I want this to be recorded under warranty. You never know in the future..

I too hope it is the relay. If not I am scr**d as I have no clue what else could be wrong..

Thanks
P.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts