MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those who have a 1078 (and hopefully won't need it)

Located on the left hand side of the bike behind the ventilation mesh wire of the left upper half fairing. It is a set/ group of 3 relays one next to the other (middle one on mine is Green color). The EBS relay is the one on the left of the 3 (towards the headlight) within a rubber band and it is 40ampers relay. There are 5 pins sticking out of the relay with the numbers 87(5), 87b(4), 86(1), 85(2) and 30(3) and pins are in a cross like shape. Replacing is dead easy just take it out and plug in the new one.

Hope it helps
P

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
are you sure, that relay is also available on my 750, which has no EBS.
Here pictures of a 1000S, where the white connector is where relay cable connects. Note that is has also the three relay rack!

Attachments

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
For those who have a 1078 (and hopefully won't need it)

Located on the left hand side of the bike behind the ventilation mesh wire of the left upper half fairing. It is a set/ group of 3 relays one next to the other (middle one on mine is Green color). The EBS relay is the one on the left of the 3 (towards the headlight) within a rubber band and it is 40ampers relay. There are 5 pins sticking out of the relay with the numbers 87(5), 87b(4), 86(1), 85(2) and 30(3) and pins are in a cross like shape. Replacing is dead easy just take it out and plug in the new one.

Hope it helps
P
I don't think that is the ebs relay.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi CAG,

Thats what the UK dealer confirmed. In the diagrams (workshop manual) it reads 'general feed relay' which also confused me.

What do you have in mind?
P.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I thought the 1078 had a slipper clutch instead of EBS?

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
If you look at the picture that HB88xx posted, that is the ebs relay. It is usually tucked up right behind the radiator not as far back as you indicated. Also, I think the general service relay is different than the latch relay.

·
Registered
521 Posts
So, if the ebs is managed by the ecu, why is Phil's acting up? Possibly an ecu fault? It's working on 2 cylinders, with unburned fuel.

·
Jason + Stanley Knife + D.I.Y = Casualty and
1,061 Posts
yep thats the ebs relay smack bang in the middle of the pic with the white connector

£100 delivered to your door and motogb have them in stock so they told me the other week

altho there not supposed to sell to public you have to go thro your local dealer and his answer will be they got nun in stock from italy usual boloxs

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Just before I sold the 1000S I bought and ordered a new EBS relay - out here it was $270AU!

To keep my bike running as the old EBS was playing up (located on the frame near the radiator) I undid the rubber clip that holds it to the frame and let it sit in the cool air outside of the fairing - rode for a 1000+ k's like that. Took me a while to work out the issue but realized when I ran the bike with the fairing on it would run on three cylinders and with the fairing off it was ok.

As the relay starts to break down it must become sensitive to excessive heat!

Bought the new relay the day I swapped to the new 312R so I just threw 270 dollars to the wind %^%$#!

·
Registered
307 Posts
If khameron's right, I've just paid $85 for a relay that doesn't exist.
I must have the General Relay if that's the case.

Could it be a problem with the valve itself Phil? Don't know how to check that.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
EBS relay

Guys,

I am no expert on the issue but here is what I can tell you:

-1078 DOES have a relay. Although the thing is not mentioned in the workshop manual it is shown on the parts catalogue (part number 800094439). For what is worth, UK dealer (MotoGB) confirmed that there is one. I only hope they know what they are talking about.
-New 1078 could have the EBS relay incorporated with the main relay (left of the 3-relay set). This is why its a 40A relay and different from previous models (Demetri we checked with yours and it is not the same, nor the location). When we removed the relay(s) the bike would not even start which shows that it si also a general feed relay. My guess.
-CAG, we stripped the bike down to the engine and there is no relay with wires like the pictures attached. NONE. We really sticked our heads in the engine and we could not find the older models type relay. Neither close to the headstock nor the radiator, nothing!! We found 6 different relays on the whole bike. 2 at the front (lights, horn), 3 at left side, 1 at right side of bike and one at the back under the seat.
-EBS valve (behind the 3 ones) works OK (checked with the potentiometer- resistance).

When new relay comes I will check. If problem persists then it is either the ECU or a wire somewhere being cut. I guess last option is to send the bike back to UK and get something else. Quite pissed off by now with this..

Thanks all for comments
P.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Do you guys know if the race ecu (5sm) will work with the 1078? If the signal for the ebs is coming from the ecu, then Phil could try changing your ecu with mine and trying that.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Guys,

I am no expert on the issue but here is what I can tell you:

-1078 DOES have a relay. Although the thing is not mentioned in the workshop manual it is shown on the parts catalogue (part number 800094439). For what is worth, UK dealer (MotoGB) confirmed that there is one. I only hope they know what they are talking about.
-New 1078 could have the EBS relay incorporated with the main relay (left of the 3-relay set). This is why its a 40A relay and different from previous models (Demetri we checked with yours and it is not the same, nor the location). When we removed the relay(s) the bike would not even start which shows that it si also a general feed relay. My guess.
-CAG, we stripped the bike down to the engine and there is no relay with wires like the pictures attached. NONE. We really sticked our heads in the engine and we could not find the older models type relay. Neither close to the headstock nor the radiator, nothing!! We found 6 different relays on the whole bike. 2 at the front (lights, horn), 3 at left side, 1 at right side of bike and one at the back under the seat.
-EBS valve (behind the 3 ones) works OK (checked with the potentiometer- resistance).

When new relay comes I will check. If problem persists then it is either the ECU or a wire somewhere being cut. I guess last option is to send the bike back to UK and get something else. Quite pissed off by now with this..

Thanks all for comments
P.
Interesting. I learn something new every day. So, perhaps on the new bikes they did away with the relay and the valve is controlled some other way? Where do the wires from the valve go? Or, it is incorporated into the relay you showed in the pictures.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts