MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bonjour à toutes et à tous,

This thread will be about my ups and downs with this Italian piece of art.

So how is it to living up with a beauty beast like an used F4, and particularly with a model designed to go as fast as 312km/h (194mph) ?

BTW writing it I note that contrary to the past and other motorcycles manufacturers, it's name didn't change when sold outside Europe (it was a time when your Honda Hawk was our NTV650 or your Kawasaki ZZR600 was our SuperSport ZX-6R, ...). It adds charm to this European exotica, don't you think ?

First of all, 'xcuse me for my 'hanglish because it's not my mother-tongue. Feel free to tell if I'm wrong using some inappropriate vocabulary, it will help me to improve.

Sooo,
after long years of fantasize it I'm now the delighted owner of an F4 312R* .
Why the *? Because it's not 100% original and only discerning eyes can say that it's a "bitsa".
I'm sure some will notice it at first sight.
For that reason (and other particular circumstances) I had the chance to buy a one-owner/less than 9500 miles exemplary at sensible money.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Welcome. Lovely bike. Bitsa? What's been done to her?

·
Super Moderator
7,657 Posts
The old swap the front brake callipers trick and possibly the forks.
And a Biposto without rear pillion footrests.

Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Vehicle

I wish my French was as good as your English.

Can you post up a picture of the ECU, found under the tail unit from the top?
Please include the white decal that will show the ECU part number.
It should be one of the following nine digit / letter combinations.

Product Font Rectangle Brand Parallel

Something like this:

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire Font

Just looking to advise you that MV Agusta supplied these bikes with three different ECUs. The Japanese (JPN) and French (F) ECUs were restricted to comply with their respective government's legislations.
The rest of the world got the full power 8C00A9072 ECU.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You're on the right track about some parts swap. But I'm surprised no one noticed the most obvious ^^.

Concerning the ECU you're absolutely right about restrictions. In France from 1984 to 2016 (!) it was forbidden by a weird law to sell or ride any bike over 100cv for road use. This bike was no exception.

But for racetrack use (or more simply frustrated owners...) loooads of bikes have been de-restricted.
I have 2 ECUs for the bike, with those exact refs :
Code:
E00A9389    F4 1078 FRA

8D00A9389   F4 1078 CE
I plan to go to racetrack from time to time, to please me using it as 'properly' as I can, so the second reference (apparently legit for Engine MV Agusta F4 1078 RR) is in place. I didn't try the first ref. yet.

·
Super Moderator
7,657 Posts
Now that I read your title again - yes, very obvious.
The fairings are from a 312R or a 1000R. That's what threw me. I was looking for upgrades on a 312R, not the different fairings on a 312RR (The 1078 F4).
For some reason I just read the 312R at the end of the title of this thread, missing the 1078 at the start.
So, the fairings are the change.

·
Super Moderator
7,657 Posts
35 Cheval-Valeur sounds plenty in such a petit car.
Our old VW Kombi van as just 55 and she happily rattles along at highway speeds with four adults on board.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I wasn't expecting at all to see a 2CV image in this post 😂
Jeez, can you believe now those things in good nick cost more than an used MV !

Thanks for the tip @Moonbeam (100CV are exactly 98,6HP to be precise, perhaps a difference in horseshoes sizes 😛)

---

🎉 And @The_castle wins a 'camembert' !
Yes the bike is a nice blend of 1078 RR and 312R (all genuine parts).
The previous owner cherished it and was not shy about it. A relatively usual story : racing days > some parts sold > then compatible used parts bought to be back on road legal, years ago.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's the story behind the hunt of this dream bike.

First, some context.
We have all here (at least) one common passion for Italian bikes. MV Agusta is on the top range of motorcycles production. Some dream of it all their life when others can afford brand new ones every other month. I´m not in second half.
I personally like buying in bad shape. It can be risky but on one side prices stay low and on the other I particularly appreciate learning about it by tickling and making some possible repairs, before properly using the throttle.

When the F4 came out, like many of you here I was overwhelmed by the nice curves of this Italian beauty. Again a fantastic work of the teams led by Castiglioni and Tamburini.
Time passed.
The 1000 came out. Whaaaou I felt even more attracted, more power in the same beautiful cradle. Lovely.
Time passed.
The 312R (then RR) came out. Whaaaaaouuu I can't stand no more ! Those figures, the massive engine power delivery announced, and still those beautiful curves .... But damn, too pricey for me.
However I said to myself one day I'll ride one.
And time passed again.

Then I seriously began my hunt on classified ads, searching for F4 wounded/lightly crashed. But contrary to some others brands, this time facts were not on me' side. On the whole models range of all used F4, only 2 options were offered to me: models bent after a severe crash (and/or broken engines) OR models in perfect conditions and cherished by their owners. Absolutely nothing in the middle...
Firsts cases were never financially interesting, seconds not an option for me.

I missed some opportunities about 6 years ago.
Then one day I saw this beast for sell. Seeing it was not 100% original I though I could make a low bid on it. I call the owner explaining my arguments. Hearing my offer he laugh and said 'Dude, you're dreaming awake, it's a no no'.
The next summer I saw the ad again. I recontacted the owner : "Yes I remember you, but you're still dreaming".
Time passed again with other priorities. And overall no interesting ad.
No more trace of this beast. Mainly used 1000 R, S, or 312 but black or white ones. You guessed it ? I prefer it rosso-argento.
Randomlessly I contacted the owner again and incredibly he kept the bike ! But same old song : 'Please dude, stop believing in Santa Klaus'
Honestly he was passionate about her, having it from brand new and some memories, for sure he wasn't ready to give it away to 'anyone'.
I was getting used to the idea of reporting this dream for good.

Then recently by a fluke I tried for the last time... If you don't take a chance nothing happens, right ?
I was the first amazed because his usual answer had changed.

And here I am, a delighted motorcyclist.

·
Super Moderator
7,657 Posts
Excellent story.
I always enjoy the background to these purchases.
This bike has obviously gone to a person who will not take their ownership for granted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup, no doubt it´s a keeper.
Sometimes realizing fantasies doesn't feel as good you expected dreaming about it.
But I guaranty you this one is so good.

---

My very firsts miles on it,

I had few miles home from the owner place. In substance it's lasts infos were : battery is fully recharged, don't go less than 50mph or temperature will rise high, tank is quite empty you need to refill it and please, take care of it.

And then I left.

It's a relatively tall bike (seat height/distance to the clip-ons) and I find my place easily. But gosh how harsh are the suspensions settings ! Speedometer didn't seemed modern to me nor intuitive for a top notch bike of this era. Sound is quiet (original pipes). As I didn't fully opened the throttle (first ride and outdated tires) I only felt on a torquey 1000cc.
Traffic forced me to slow down, then as predicted temp began to rise, then fans went on. But no surprise I was warned.

Then fuel station. Tank filled, where can can see my partials ? Ah ok, but how can I reset partials ? Arf... no luck I need to read the book. I can't display full mileage with a partial. How come ? It's the basics of speedometers, every motorcycles I've ever ridden shows those things together... Perhaps it's part of the 'exotica' experience.
Then star... then sta...
Fuck, not enough juice to even crank... 😑

Probably another bad joke of the 'exotica' experience 😏.

The owner came to help and checked some fuses/relays connections without chance. As battery was few years old and I had this same bad experience before, I diagnosed a dead battery.
Trying to crank pushing this 1000 4 in line with the traffic around without the insurance it will start was a risky one.
I was not so far away from a place I trust, so we pushed this lovely bike along the road. After few liters of sweat I directly ordered a brand new Yuasa YTZ10S.

Position of the battery in space and proximity of cables can be misleading for polarity connections. I throw an eye on the manual, then made the battery swap. It started right away.

First ride, first problem, first resolution.

·
Old Wing Nut
24,852 Posts
I hope you have found out how to set the "partials". We call those "trip meters".
Enjoy all the rides to come !!!

·
Premium Member
3,560 Posts
Nice MV intro story. Did you charge that battery for a good 24 hours in advance of installation?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
"Trip meters" ok it make sense also in my language, thanks.
I hope I'll get used to it.
Again last time, I just wanted to get 'total mileage meter' info and...? You need to start the bike, just to be able to scroll between 'trip meters'... IMO contrary to the bike itself, that's definitively not good design.

@EBBO If I remember well it was delivered fully charged. Nevertheless I put a cable connector with easy access for an external charger.

·
Registered
MV Agusta F4 1000S, Ducati 998 SBK, Honda CB650R
40 Posts
Hi Rital,
I just wanted to get 'total mileage meter' info and...? You need to start the bike, just to be able to scroll between 'trip meters'
Yes, not the best digital function design. Let's say the last digital info you had on the dashboard was the trip1 info, when you turn off the bike and again, switching on the ignition, you'll still see the trip1 info. And yes, need to start the bike to get other infos when the bike is static.

I recommand to scroll to the trip1/2 (if the info is the same) to know approx what the fuel potential of the bike.

I put a cable connector with easy access for an external charger.
Regarding the location of your quick connector, I'd recommand to place it right below the pilot seat (behind the battery area). In my opinion, it's "cleaner". But it's up to you.

Have a good day

Lucas

1 - 19 of 19 Posts