MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got this other swingarm to "Pirate" the chain slider. Now that I look at it it is one solid piece that is inserted into the swingarm. Has anyone ver been able to get it out and install in another swingers? You will see the condition of my current one in the last pic. As always thankful for your input.

Jaja evertime I write Swingarm it wants to autocorrect to Swingers!!

Jim

IMG_4938.JPG

·
Registered
274 Posts
Give it a bath in Kerosine.

·
Super Moderator
22,357 Posts
That piece is made of pretty tough material. It is actually a bit more rubbery than plasticy.
Once you have both retaining screw out of the top piece, I'd soak the whole thing in a silicone spray and grab the front tange with some pliers. The piece sort of nests into the swingarm recess and "locks" into place, so some manipulation is required to wiggle it out of the recess.

·
Administrator
19,860 Posts
And it is technically the "Swinging Arm"...or as we call it: the swing arm. Spell check knows it is not a single word, that's why it wants to change it.

Reactions: Midnicrow

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have just replaced one on a gen 1 750F4. Mine was exactly the same & was caused by battery acid leaking down onto it :( I had to remove/replaced it from the front as the slider has notches manufactured in it to allow it to bend at the right moment, I initially tried removing it from the back & it became wedge & wasn't budging but luckily it was so brittle it was easily broken into small pieces.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha I'll keep that in mind! Swinging Arm! Anyway, was able to remove the piece as you guys suggested. Got it out as you said now comes the tricky part of putting it in.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That piece is made of pretty tough material. It is actually a bit more rubbery than plasticy.
Once you have both retaining screw out of the top piece, I'd soak the whole thing in a silicone spray and grab the front tange with some pliers. The piece sort of nests into the swingarm recess and "locks" into place, so some manipulation is required to wiggle it out of the recess.

View attachment 477846
W

·
Registered
14 Posts
On the parts diagram you supplied I noticed part no. 10 I assume threaded inserts for swing arm for slider retaining bolts I need one as I think my front one fell into swing arm or mysteriously disappeared when I replaced my upper slider a while ago, any idea what’s the part no please.
Cheers Rohan

·
Super Moderator
22,357 Posts
On the parts diagram you supplied I noticed part no. 10 I assume threaded inserts for swing arm for slider retaining bolts I need one as I think my front one fell into swing arm or mysteriously disappeared when I replaced my upper slider a while ago, any idea what’s the part no please.
Cheers Rohan

In the parts diagram, part number 10 is a simple M6 Well-nut available through many hardware stores and parts houses. Ebay as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts

View attachment 477846
In the parts diagram, part number 10 is a simple M6 Well-nut available through many hardware stores and parts houses. Ebay as well.
Many thanks mate, I will chase up.
kind regards,
Rohan.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited by Moderator)
Was able to successfully install the upper chain guard!. Had to break my newly installed chain. used the PBR chain breaker recommended by other members. Used Dremmel cutting wheel to remove rivets and then pressed out the master link. Tool worked great! Much easier to cut off the rivet heads then press, great possibility of damaging NEW tool. Plus the force required to shear off the heads of the rivets would have been an arm breaker!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for this post and photos. I have this exact job ahead of me. I hope to post my experience with this job as well.
Cool! It was pretty easy tu push the new one in. It has little slits that let you bend and push it in.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Was able to finaly re-link the chain and used the PBR from Motion Pro to rivet the master link. Excellent tool. I am a little heavy these days due to the Covid diet. So I left the chain a little slack. I am not sure about when to measure the slack. One the kickstand? On the paddock stand? Or when I am on the bike. When I get on the bike my father said about a half inch of slack went away. Went for a ride and she felt great.
D0397636-3274-4675-BCBE-4EE2A56DCDF1.jpeg
83F2CABA-868A-450C-98B3-565A9AFD052D.jpeg
756527DD-9A76-4276-9F18-C719E66738DA.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
22,357 Posts

1 - 20 of 28 Posts