MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a sweet deal on an F4 and am this (fingers-an-inch-away) close to not having to drool every time I saw one on the street :)

However I have a conundrum now. I currently own a 2003 R6 which is my primary mode of commuting to work (10 minutes away through city streets). If I get the F4, I do not have the garage space to park all my toys. So I'll have to get rid of the R6.

Now my friends who own Ducatis are convinced that I would be absolutely miserable commuting on the F4. I've heard this from other sources too. I was wondering what the F4 / MV owners on this forum thought about it ..

Heat is one problem .. but engine wise, am I harming the 166HP beast by not really running it in the power-band ? Or is that all horse manure ?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Well, it's certainly not designed for commuting. It will run hot and it's pretty uncomfortable (have you sat on one yet) compared to an R6. But, commuting can be done. And you're only doing about a 10 minute commute so it may work out. I think you'll be as miserable as your friends who own Ducatis. :D

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not the greatest commuting bike. But Lisa and I use it for that a fair amount. Mind you, we commute in the Santa Monica mountains.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm close to 40 and I don't have a problem going to work 25 minutes away. f41000S. Live fast ride faster. By the way I do it three times a week when weather permit's. In Michigan we only have a 6 month season. Good luck.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Isn't all commuting miserable? At least you'll be doing so on art...It's no worse than any other sportbike where you really lean forward, plus there are bar risers and adjustable rearsets that don't cost a fortune. I have 8,000 miles on my MV, and half was prob below the powerband. Engine is fine...maybe some of the people who know about motors will weigh in on that front. Heat wise, the impeller mod sorted all of my overheating issues...although, it really never overheated, it just ran hot. You could do bar risers (if required) an impeller mod (make sure it hasn't already been done) and foot pegs (if you find you need more room) all at the same time and it won't be all that expensive.

·
Registered
514 Posts
If your doing lots of 10 minute runs make sure you keep the bike on a battery tender. I think if anything what could potentially harm the motor more is all the cold running. It takes the motor a few minutes to get to optimum temperature so with 10 minute runs you could be putting more cold engine miles on the bike than these bikes would typically do. I'm just speculating, there are others on here with more knowledge about motors than me but running cold engines too hard is never a good thing.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I commute on my 312R, almost 75 miles round trip. I've got almost 14,000 miles on it. Before that, I commuted on an MV F4S (first, year, a 750) and several Ducatis. Then again, folks who know me think I'm a bit "off." Not as much as I used to be, I suppose: Now, I drive a car when the weather is bad.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
if you can get some decent miles in at a FUN pace, then go for it......

otherwise its like using a sledge hammer to drive a tack.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
My 7.5 mile commute takes 18 miles to complete.
If I was in a car it would take 7.5 miles.

·
Registered
514 Posts
My 7.5 mile commute takes 18 miles to complete.
If I was in a car it would take 7.5 miles.

Lol so true. I have my two other bikes which I kept as city runabout bikes but they now both have dead batteries because I take the brute out everytime.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
if your planning to use the f4 as a commuter bike your going to run head first into every one of the problems that pop up on the site.
traffic is not fun on the f4. it's easy enough to lane split just doesn't have the agility to properly weave around cars (swapping lane to lane in stopped traffic). it gets mighty warm and will overheat if you don't keep an eye on it. short rides and you will lose the battery

i never end up saving any time when i ride because i never end up going the quick route. (having to much fun). the commute is the best part of the day; as long as it doesn't start raining while at work (never like wet rides) or stop raining while at work ( damn it why didn't i ride in today!!)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to everyone for getting back so enthusiastically :) Basically from what I read, the fun far outweighs the cons and I should just suck it up for such a amazing piece of art 'n engineering. I liked part about comparing it using a sledgehammer to drive a tack (thanks lewdog998) but I guess that's what weekends are for .. finding some stakes to drive :)

I'll work around the battery problems with a tender and as for the traffic part, my commute's not too bad and that might not be an issue. And of course when I can, I'll take the long route in :)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Welcome to our world!

I have a 20 min commute (on a motorway that is more like a parking lot) and try and do 3 days a week and its bloody fantastic!

It does get hot at times, but I will do the fan blades and impeller and see what effect that makes before the summer (its winter here - especially today). Mirror is a fashion statement, not much use! As for the lane splitting and swerving around cars, I note the comment above and recommend "Soft" suspension settings, makes the bike a hell of a lot more chuckable at lower speed - but does nothing for your visibility, so you are forced to turn your head and peek under your elbows a lot more.

Riding the MV is about as much fan as you can have with pants on.

( Picked up the tender yesterday as its a very small battery for the bike IMHO. Also got a battery monitor that I will wire in at the same time so I can keep an eye on its health)

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I'd definately get the F4 but not use it as a commuter. If you are selling the R6 why not get a twist and go 50 or 100cc scooter for the commute (especially as it's only 10 minutes).

·
Registered
470 Posts
just use the bike for what ever sort of riding you do, I used my F41000s for commuting, touring and track. More miles you put on the better it will get and more familiar you will become with it. Go for it I say.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Easy answer...

...move further away from work !!

I use my "S" to commute 45 miles each way & still manage to stretch it to over 50 - absoultely the best way to get to/from work. No probs with comfort - it's a sports bike, you know what you're in for...:flash:

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Well, I don't feel bad anymore. I've been trying to rationalize why it takes me 25 minutes to get to work on the backroads whereas it's a only 7 minute commute on the freeway. Nice to know it's not just me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts