MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello friends,

The day before I test drove the new R. It is a brand new R so my experience was up to 5-6000 Rpm. The owner, my friend he drove my bike and afterwards we exchanged opinions on the two models. My conclusion was this:
1. Different front suspension on R model. Even the standard spring compression settings are different (4 turns for R model 6 turns for S model). Suspension is stiffer, making the bike more nervous.
2. Wheels: WOW ! Instantly you feel the less weight of the Brembo superlight wheels. This would be my next mod (I prefer BST carbon wheels.)
3. Brembo Radial Brakes: Really good performance but the brake lever is crap on the R model. I have installed the Brembo Radial Brake Lever (19x18) and you can feel where the bike is gonna stop. I even used hard braking from almost 300 km on my S and the bike stopped and I knew where it was gonna stop. Maybe the Braking wavy disks and the ferodo pads really helped my bike. What I am trying to say that the brake lever on the R model feels like on-off action. It either don't stop or stops really hard. You cannot use it while you are in a turn with a high angle. Change it to a Brembo radial lever and you will have a much much better feeling and better lever travel. ( I bet that my friend is currently reading this thread now and going to order the Brembo brake and clutch radial cylinders from Geoff. Thanassis please register your R model on the forum OK?)
4.Performance: This was a new bike and I cannot tell you alot about performance. All I can confirm is that power delivery is not good on low revs comparing to the S model. It looks like all the power comes in higher revs, which is useless on everyday driving and good on track driving. I would sort out the fuelling by removing the cat, fit an RG3, with an ECU and a power commander. One of the best mods I have done on my S model is changing the front sprocket with a tooth less. Acceleration is now furious. Bare in mind that speedo will be more optimistic by doing this. On 120Km/hr it now shows 128 Km. So when I saw 301Km on the speedo I was going around 290 Km (on the S model ).

I hope that my friend will contribute to this thread. So Thanassis step on and write your opinion please.

I was thinking of changing to an R model but now I am not thinkimg about it. The S model cost me 23000 euros and if I sell it I have to give around 10.000 euros to get the R model. It is just not worthed. I prefer spending those money getting another bike or even buy the BST wheels and lots and lots of Carbon fiber for my bike. The R model would be a good solution if you want to trade the 750 with a 1000 model. But between the S model and the R model not much of a difference, adn personnally I prefer the way the S model handles.
Sorry for the long post.

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are Michelin Moto GP slicks. The local Michelin dealer gave me a pair to try them. I will install the Supercorsa Pro SC2 soon. Michelin offers great great handle but they are dangerous on everyday driving, especially on wet conditions :jsm: :jsm:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FSL said:
Ouch bike must be screaming to please let me go :)

Nice Pictures.
Taken from my mobile phone. Thanks.
Yes the bike was begging me to let it go. But up to 1000km not over 6000 Rpm. and up to 3000 Km not over 9000 Rpm. :banghead:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
boussias said:
Taken from my mobile phone. Thanks.
Yes the bike was begging me to let it go. But up to 1000km not over 6000 Rpm. and up to 3000 Km not over 9000 Rpm. :banghead:
I couldn't resist :heart:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are correct. But as previously discussed, breaking in is not for the engine. is more for all the other parts, like suspension, brakes and is even psychological. Just to familiarise with a new bike. Is like meeting a new lady. You don't just sleep with her instantly. You first take her out for dinner :violin: , a drink :guitarist , a first kiss and then you..... :ahhh: :ahhh: go crazy with her. I THINK I AM CONFUSED....MIXING BIKES WITH WOMEN...I SHALL CALL MY DOCTOR... :laughing:

·
Registered
571 Posts
It was a very wonderful ride, enjoining the bikes. We plan to do it again at the weekend.

The other side of the coin is: the R has just 380 Km, so it’s difficult to have a real feeling over it.

What I liked on the S are the front suspension, very compliant and the throttle response, very quick! But, it has 14ten teeth sprocket, open-air filter and open mid pipe.

The R is still breaking better than the S from Kostas (Brembo cylinder - Nissin callipers). I plan to install also the Brembo cylinder and we will see if the braking feeling is getting to be excellent.

tvass

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tvass said:
It was a very wonderful ride, enjoining the bikes. We plan to do it again at the weekend.

BUT STILL THIS WEEKEND I WILL BE FASTER >>>> :moped: :later:

The other side of the coin is: the R has just 380 Km, so it’s difficult to have a real feeling over it.
YEP, YOU ARE RIGHT..ACTUALLY LEFT...

What I liked on the S are the front suspension, very compliant and the throttle response, very quick! But, it has 14ten teeth sprocket, open-air filter and open mid pipe.

The R is still breaking better than the S from Kostas (Brembo cylinder - Nissin callipers). I plan to install also the Brembo cylinder and we will see if the braking feeling is getting to be excellent.

I DON'T THINK SO, BUT I CAN'T ARGUE.....

tvass
:) :)

PS: ΓΙΑΤΙ ΔΕ ΦΟΡΑΣ ΚΡΑΝΟΣ;

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Nice review and nice pics kostas. :smoking:

But i didn't quite get it, do you have an RG3 with ECU and a PCIII in your bike?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
MV-999R said:
Nice review and nice pics kostas. :smoking:

But i didn't quite get it, do you have an RG3 with ECU and a PCIII in your bike?
Hello my friend,
All I have done is to remove the cat,BMC Race Filter, NGK Iridium, adjusted the TPS, adjusted the CO, and changed the front sprocket with a 14t. The sprocket made a huge difference. Future plans is a RG3 exhaust and ECU and a Powercommander.
See Ya.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
boussias said:
Hello my friend,
All I have done is to remove the cat, adjust the TPS, adjust the CO, and changed the front sprocket with a 14t. The sprocket made a huge difference. Future plans is a RG3 exhaust and ECU and a Powercommander.
See Ya.
Thanks for the info. :)

Good to know your S with just the TPS and CO adjusted feels smoother than a stock R :yo: :yo:

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
I have the RG3 ecu, RG3 exhaust, cat by pass and Power Commander, I have only just fitted the RG3 ecu and it needs the VDSTS to set throttle range, this can no longer be done via the TPS as it is non adjustable.

I did ride the bike however, and these are early observations, they may change for the worst when its set up correctly, but like I say these early observations suggest absolute 100+% fuelling, besides a high idle the bike was faultless. I rode the bike for an hour taking note and trying to find the 5000 surge, it's just not there at all, it blips everywhere and was very very good, I have ordered a single bike VDSTS from technoresearch, I can't wait!, I also loaded a zero map into the Power Commander before the test.

If the outcome stays as good as it is now it will be 100+% I just hope setting it up properly doesn't make it not as good :) I am of the belief that it can not get any better, it was puuurrrffeect :drummer:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
so if you only had bought an R and hadn't had any extra stuff laying around, how much additional money to get it that way? RG3ecu+RG3full system w/cat delete+VDSTS?

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
style_one said:
so if you only had bought an R and hadn't had any extra stuff laying around, how much additional money to get it that way? RG3ecu+RG3full system w/cat delete+VDSTS?
The bike would be good standard with a Power Commander, and I am sure a large proportion of owners would be 100% happy with it.

Unfortunately I am a bit of a perfectionist, I had a de cat pipe from my last 1000, and the RG3 from the 750 before it.

My S was good, but it still messed about under 3000rpm and stalled when new, trying to get a quick getaway on an S is real hard, it also won't blip on down changes between 3000-4500rpm's, and sometimes would surge when you shut the throttle entering a corner.

The R std has a surge at 5000rpm, it's virtually eliminated with a Power commander.

The VDSTS is $195 for a one bike system, I do not trust my bike with any of the muppets I have come across calling themselves "technicians" so there is NO way around that one (for me)

I doubt removing the cat does anything power wise/ running wise, except look nicer and stop the heat build up in the rear silencers to some extent.

I came across the RG3 ecu because it came as a good deal for both a "New set" of RG3 and ecu,

So it doesn't need all of the above for good results, just a Power Commander and a good set up, it will then give 165 rear wheel hp and trail the S in the midrange by 5 hp, and anyone that can feel 5hp at around the 100hp mark is far superior to me :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
mikef4uk said:
I have the RG3 ecu, RG3 exhaust, cat by pass and Power Commander, I have only just fitted the RG3 ecu and it needs the VDSTS to set throttle range, this can no longer be done via the TPS as it is non adjustable.

I did ride the bike however, and these are early observations, they may change for the worst when its set up correctly, but like I say these early observations suggest absolute 100+% fuelling, besides a high idle the bike was faultless. I rode the bike for an hour taking note and trying to find the 5000 surge, it's just not there at all, it blips everywhere and was very very good, I have ordered a single bike VDSTS from technoresearch, I can't wait!, I also loaded a zero map into the Power Commander before the test.

If the outcome stays as good as it is now it will be 100+% I just hope setting it up properly doesn't make it not as good :) I am of the belief that it can not get any better, it was puuurrrffeect :drummer:
I've got the motocorse end cans link pipe (cat bypass) and eprom and my fuelling is great. Also in reference to another thread I've never had an issue with blipping the throttle. :)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mike, your point is correct, the R can be flawless. But my opinion stands on this: It's just isn't worthed the 10.000 euros I have to give more to trade my S for the R model cause the differences are not that big. And I don't think that 5hp more will be that big difference. Just 10.000 euros less on my pocket. Again that is my humble opinion. :later:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hi, I 've had the blipping issue when the bike was new, but after a proper setup the bike runs really nice and smooth. Just recently, I had a problem with the BMC race filter, but nothing a proper setup on the CO can't fix (this saturday).

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I have been hearing this fueling debate on R's for quite some time now. :wtf:

I got a chance to put 160 miles yet on my R and I ride the way I like fcuk break in, bike is smooth as silk all across the power band no surge anywhere. Maybe I need to ride more to discover if their is anything wrong with the fueling.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts